CDS budget 9th term: steady state expenses

Forum to discuss business matters, commerce and the economy of the CDS

Moderator: SC Moderators

Jamie Palisades
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

CDS budget 9th term: steady state expenses

Post by Jamie Palisades »

This report supports my monthly report to the RA, made on 7 Sept as they asked to postpone it from the prior week's meeting.

Note that from the Treasurer's reports we have the following general data. All numbers approximate:
Current CDS reserves = US$4500
Current average monthly rent collections per sim = US$310

The following is a budget for regularly-recurring expenses. In other words, any land expansion activities are not included. In fact, I expect the majority of our expenses during the 9th term (August 2008-January 2009) to be one-time investments in planned growth. However, I expect these to be funded from our capital reserves .. as they essentially are "capital expenses" in long-term nonconsumabkle assets. In other words, they should be assessed in term of return-on-investment: for example, if we buy and add a sim, do we get enough rent and other benefits over time to justify it?

So for this recurring-expenses budget, in my view, our goal is to run at a roughly steady pace, keeping our accumulated reserve funds available for contingencies and investments in CDS growth.

1. The steady state income from our four sims is estimated at L$ 328.600. (USD1,240 @ L$265/USD 1)
(Not this is subject to lag in September/October, as LA gets sold. Our goal is to use Oktoberfest publicity to complete any original sales that aren;t closed before them.)

2. Monthly tier to Linden Labs costs us USD 980 (L$ 259,700).

3. I have budgeted for stipends (see the Executive Branch forum thread for details) at L$ 7,000/month. (USD 26). It's incredibly cheap for what we get from these people. (And also is phasing in, as the positions are approved.) One of those positions also still awaits RA approval.

4. Our Treasurer has recommended that we routinely save 25% of the net income over fixed expenses as a
simple precaution each month. That amounts to L$ 15,425 (USD 58), I endorse that conservative approach, for now, as we easily can afford it.

The net result of the above estimates is that we generate available funds (over fixed expenses) of about L$46,425 (USD 175) per month. Of that:

a. We currently pay USD 10/month for website hosting for our portal as well.

b. Capital expenses, like the Locus Amoenus Guild builds, are part of our capital budget. As noted above, I plan to provide additional details regarding that topic -- and expansion -- and what we may do with our accumulated reserves, or part of it -- later this calendar month. However, it is my opinion that additional major expansion moves should wait until we see how L.A. sells.

c. Events. It is my plan to spend a significant part of the remainder essentially on events programming. Thus far we have plans with the following rough parameters:

a. Major events budget - One per term (like Oktoberfest), for a total of L$ 60000/yr, so L$ 5000/mo
b. One funded social event per month - L$ 5000/mo
c. I recreation event per sim per year (like skiing) at L$ 5000 x 4 / 12 = $L 1666/mo

Thus, per month = L$ 11666 = USD 44. So far. Note this is ONE QUARTER of our monthly available funds. I don't think it's enough, but it is a start. There are additional possibilities to be discussed. See here: [URL to come.]

Needless to say, this is in addition to the many educational and entertainment programs that our civil servants and volunteers organize and perform for free.

Comments welcome. Regards JP

== My Second Life home is CDS. Retired after three terms
== as chancellor of the oldest self-governing sims in SL.
symokurka
Passionate Protagonist
Passionate Protagonist

Re: CDS budget 9th term: steady state expenses

Post by symokurka »

A few questions Jamie.

1. The steady state income from our four sims is estimated at L$ 328.600.

Is this 100% tiers? does it include other incomes? Are there other extra incomes collected from different activities? (eg tips from events, royalties or charges on other activities)

2. Monthly tier to Linden Labs costs us USD 980 (L$ 259,700).

It would be very useful for GMP workgroup having this figure split for each one of the four sims. This could help us to focus on economic models for territorial development.

I don't know if there is a budget spreadsheet somewhere. It could be useful having at least a sum up of key figures (average per month) after the first margin (=point 1 minus point two). How much per month is our budget for running costs (stipends, hosting etc), saving, investments, events? I could try to estimate it from your report above but i prefer an "official" answer.

I'm asking just to work on scenarios for territorial development, and not to pest you with my opinions on budget :P thank you.

Jamie Palisades
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Jamie Palisades »

Happy that CDS has your expert help with this Symo! All of the data that I think you want can be found in a prior attempt to engage people on this topic, here: http://forums.slcds.info/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1921
Regards Jamie

== My Second Life home is CDS. Retired after three terms
== as chancellor of the oldest self-governing sims in SL.
Ranma Tardis

Post by Ranma Tardis »

I need more information than this! What are the revenues per sim? What are sim rate per meters?? per meter. Locus Amoenus has a rate of ?? per meter. Colonia Nova has a rate of ?? per meter. Alpine Meadows has a rate of?? per meter. Do the owners of Neufreistadt and Alpine Meadows help pay for the costs of Colonia Nova and Locus Amoenus? Neufreistadt has a ?? rate per meter. Why is there an "exchange rate" when I pay in dollars and the bill to Linden Labs is paid in dollars? I understand the costs increase when the Euro falls but I got SOAKED visiting Germany in 2007 and the locals did not offer to lower their rates for people paying in dollars.
I believe that the land owners of Neufreistadt and Alpine Meadows pay more toward the tier and operational expenses than the land owners of Colonia Nova and Locus Amoenus. Would like to know because I have been called a racist in another thread for asking the same question.
This information should all be "public record" and these are "softball questions" to those I might be asked in my civil service position.
soye nani yo?

Brian Livingston
Veteran debater
Veteran debater

Post by Brian Livingston »

Ranma:

Pretty much all of that information is available on the portal here: http://portal.slcds.info/index.php?id=224. You'll find links to the monthly financial reports for the past several months (previous reports are available on the forums), as well as a link to the master land register, which details every plot in the CDS and its respective tier. Regarding the series of questions querying the rate per meter for each region, as you'll see in the land register, in CN and NFS (not sure about AM), the rate differs depending on the particular zoning of the plot. Lastly, the assessed monthly tier for any particular plot of land is set in U.S. dollars, but paid in Linden Dollars. I believe this is to automate and simplify the tier collection process, but Sudane would be better able to answer that question.

Hope that helps!

--Brian

symokurka
Passionate Protagonist
Passionate Protagonist

Post by symokurka »

I have been called a racist in another thread for asking the same question.

Nobody called YOU racist. It just sounds more than racist the idea of dividing our community in "Bavarians" and "Mediterraneans" having their own separate territories. There's a HUGE history on this kind of policies. Get informed.

Ranma Tardis

Post by Ranma Tardis »

Brian Livingston wrote:

Ranma:

Pretty much all of that information is available on the portal here: http://portal.slcds.info/index.php?id=224. You'll find links to the monthly financial reports for the past several months (previous reports are available on the forums), as well as a link to the master land register, which details every plot in the CDS and its respective tier. Regarding the series of questions querying the rate per meter for each region, as you'll see in the land register, in CN and NFS (not sure about AM), the rate differs depending on the particular zoning of the plot. Lastly, the assessed monthly tier for any particular plot of land is set in U.S. dollars, but paid in Linden Dollars. I believe this is to automate and simplify the tier collection process, but Sudane would be better able to answer that question.

Hope that helps!

--Brian

So Sorry! The information requested was not in there. It does not show the actual amount collected per sim. It does not show the incomes from each lot. This should be public information and usually is public information available at the local city office.

symokurka please stop insulting me.

Rose Springvale
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Rose Springvale »

Ranma,

There are major issues here with the detail you've requested and privacy considerations. If you go to the detailed charts and maps, you can see what the income from each parcel is per month. If you are curious about who is paying for what parcels, you can go to your own survey to see who owns them. More detail than that will be a problem, i'm guessing. While you can with research find out these things in US land offices, you cannot in most of the world. Even in the U.S. you must do your own research.

No one is trying to insult you or call names or point fingers, but you are making suggestions here that ignore hours and hours of work on the part of your friends and neighbors and casting it in a light that makes it look as though someone is trying to hide something. No one is trying to hide anything. I welcome your input as we move forward, but i don't agree with your opinions on these many threads. That is the beauty of democracy, we don't have to agree, and while minority interests should always be heard and protected, it is the voting majority who makes final decisions.

I'd love to have some of your energy in the PIO office. Why don't you contact me in world and we'll see what we can work together on?

Best wishes,
Rose

Ranma Tardis

Post by Ranma Tardis »

Actually unlike the real world and I point out that the CDS is located within the United States, making payment to an American Firm in American Dollars, I am not able to go down to the city office and ask to see the tax records. I can do that in my city, state and country. You do understand that when the real world conflicts with the second the real world wins. That not all things can be hidden behind the "privacy" of second life. It comes in contact when we trust real people to hold real money in real bank accounts. Did you know I have no privacy when upholding the responsibilities of my office? I have to get a second person to sign off on my expenditures and that is subject review from our District, Regional and then National Offices. I had two in my office my office last week. Ms Tardis can you explain why this purchase was made and under what authority? Can you show me some paperwork about this Job Order Number? This is not clear I need some more documentation on this payment received and on and on it goes. I hold a "office" in the civil service like the elected ones by the appointment is not from an election. I am held accountable for my actions and I can not hide my actions because of "privacy". Could you think what I could do if the reports sent out were not verified and I could make up the numbers? Not sure if I could avoid the temptation and we ask a real person to do this true with a lot less money but "public" money it is suppose to be. The CDS is suppose to be a "government" within second life but it does not operate like any legitimate government in the real world. The treasury department is not subject to review. The Regular Assembly can change the constitution easily and do almost anything under the guise of a law. This makes "rule of law" a joke because do not like something hold a meeting of the Regular Assembly and "remove" them. Yes I read the transcripts of the RA last summer and it could of been handled much better! It was a repeat of sorts of the problem from two summers before that. It too had it origins in real money and object creator "rights" and who actually owns city property. The city right or wrong chose by forcing out the two founders and we must understand legal action could result from ones actions (Notice: I have $30 American invested in this and mine charges $100 American per 15 minutes or part of this time. It is not worth my effort and have no "axe" to grind.)
Why am I writing this well one it helps me be mentally active and it passes the time. I have no personal problem with anyone in the CDS now or in the past. I asked a simple question, do the sims actually pay enough to pay their own tier. I would like to know how the "tax" rate is determined for each lot. In simple terms this taxpayer would like to know how my bill is determined, what sims (not citizens) pay toward the total revenue. I have not pointed the "finger" at any member or citizen of this government past or present. I have called no citizen any names but have been the subject of harsh forum statements. I would like this information to help with the decision of what the next sims theme (not who (race, creed, national origin, sexual identity, race, political affiliation) resides within the different sims). It is the question will our next sim be mountain or oceanside?
Please answer the simple question of a non finger pointing citizen. I also point out that last summer was the 2nd perhaps 3rd or more times the majority (no names implied or given) has used its weight of being the majority and forcing the minority to leave. Please think about what I have written before giving a knee jerk reaction. We have to think about what has happened and what went right/wrong and correct it to prevent it from happening again and again and again.

symokurka
Passionate Protagonist
Passionate Protagonist

Post by symokurka »

Ranma i'm not insulting you.
Hereunder is your proposal, which is insulting the whole of our community.

Ranma saidIf you would look at the political map one can see two communities. One of these the silent majority support Neufreistadt and Alpine Meadows which are full. A much smaller and vocal group supports Colonia Nova and Locus Amoenus which have a lot of vacant land.
Perhaps it is time to spilt the two communities. The Bavarian group will have Neufreistadt and Alpine Meadows while the Mediterranean would have Colonia Nova, Locus Amoenus, the new Greek sim and can be attached to Al Andalus!

The proper name of this proposal is "ethnic cleansing".
Have a good reading http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethnic_cleansing

Ranma Tardis

you are attacking me again

Post by Ranma Tardis »

When did I say we round up non Europeans from The Alpine sims and remove them?! I pointed out that the 2 med sims have a lot of empty lots and another would not be a good move at this time. Second There are NO Alpine lots and another should be the next sim. People are waiting for Alpine sims and we are losing citizens to other communities. Making a Greek sim while there are empty Med sims would be forcing potential citizens to take a med sim or nothing. I admit to writing in a certain ambiguous style but we are the products of our environment. I have never written a harsh word about you and not agreeing with the majority is a right under our government system. Now you have accused me of a hate crime under international law because I prefer to live in the mountains and not on the med. Please try and argue for another med sim without accusations and labeling. None of my posts have named names and if you think the post is about you it is because you labeled yourself. About "insulting the community", politics is not a big lets love each other session and be in TOTAL agreement with each other. The best politics comes about by a little compromise by each side and consensus is reach in the end.

Sonja Strom
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Sonja Strom »

There are a couple of things I would like to say here. One is, I hope both of you, in alphabetical order Ranma and Symo, will try to calm this conversation down a bit. It seems to me you both (rightly or wrongly) feel attacked. Another is, although there is an expressed interest in eventually adding a Greek theme to the CDS, I don't think there are plans for it to happen any time soon. Everybody in the CDS knows before doing that we would first at the very least need to make Locus Amoenus successful. In my opinion this is happening, even if somewhat slowly.

Ranma Tardis

Post by Ranma Tardis »

I have not said a wrong word or statement. I have not called or implied something on another resident. I have made a couple of mild proposals and have been attacked personally for doing such. I have been pressured into withdrawing them (sorry charlie!)
If required will stand before the Science Council (we have no legal system) and account for my statements. I have done nothing wrong and will not submit to any percieved threats. The harder pushed the harder I will push back in self defense.
About Locus Amoenus it brings in the least amount of revenue per sim and that is true even if all of the lots are occupied. I counted up the numbers and LA would pay $387.43 (full) compared to Alphine Meadows $467.47. The sims should pay the same amount of tier to Linden Labs. They are both class 5 sims and both double primmed.
I have not called anyone names and will not be bullied into shutting up!
Bullied is an action and not implying any citizen or resident is a bully.

Rose Springvale
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Rose Springvale »

Something is wrong with your calculations Ranma. I just added the potential tier from AM and LA and got 125,799 L (465.92 USD) per month in AM and 126,954 L (470.20 USD) per month for LA. Most recently, the tier in LA was the subject of much discussion and debate and the rate setting actually delayed the opening of the sim. Had we opened earlier, before all the NuCare madness, we may very well have sold out right away. As it is, i think the occupancy rate is quite good, based on comparable properties in the Grid.

As for the budget reserves, those too have been debated in open sessions. Rather than trying to revisit decisions that have already been made, maybe you should focus on what you want in the future for the sims. I guess in your re reading of forums, you must have missed the one clear directive of the AM addition:the community's desire to join all our sims. That was the primary motive for the placement of Alpine Meadow, and the topography of AM was driven by the desire to join CN and NFS. We chose to join. I am afraid you will be disappointed if your primary goal is now to separate them.The community voted specifically on a separated sim or an adjoined one when we adopted AM.

Before the GMP in its present state was developed, we only had rough ideas of what we could/should do based on a master plan put together to give some idea of the placement of our sims on the grid. The last one, the result of many many hours of inspection and auditing as well as a community poll, went much further in giving us a view of what the project could do. There was already a push by many of our members to "grow" faster, and you'll see there are other avenues beyond traditional community sims that were adopted to allow for that possibility. The GMP was never fixed in stone, not to be subject to amendment. If you look at the workgroup notes, you'll see that in every meeting it was pointed out that GMP was a guide only, not a law. It was never given the force of law, though i personally think it should have been, so the reworking of it to accomodate such things as homestead sims or other themes was always anticipated.

For people who see issues, while its great to use the forums to bring up these issues, remember that this record is public and that it is one of the places where people are directed to read to learn about our community. I hate to think of the number of good people who've turned and run after reading these forums, and most often when people are operating under a misunderstanding. One of the things Brian and I do is provide information to the public, not just our non citizen public, but to you all too. If you are a new resident, or someone who's been away for awhile,please feel free to chat with me, or Brian, or Jamie or a member of the RA if you have questions about how decisions were made or how to get something changed. We are more than happy to give you the information you seek, or find the people who have it for you.

The problem with the tone of the posts i've read this week is that they don't recognize the hard work and consensus building that we've spent hours on over the last couple of years. Change doesn't happen by implying some sort of misfeasance. If you care about issues like these, lets look at the next budget, the next sim, the next iteration of master plan. Please let go of the past and look forward to what this community can be, embracing the talents of all our citizens. As we enter a new election season, let's ask what is important to us, and what we want to be before we elect a new RA.

Ranma Tardis

Post by Ranma Tardis »

I just transferred the Treasurers spreadsheet from her website http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key= ... 5SoA3QNDOg to a excel sheet of my own. I was dead beat tired last night and my figure went up a little bit to $416.67. I missed lots number 41 and 42. The lot count number is 44 and perhaps the information available to the public is not up to date.When I take out the empty lots the support comes to $314.33. It covers tier (barely) and not as bad as my first wild guess estimates.
About the forums, writing only "Barney" like agreement messages does not bring up my points. In fact you might as well tape my avatars mouth shut. I have been told in the past that RA meetings are primary for the members to speak. Non members may or may not be allowed to speak for the record. So are you implying the only way to address ones concerns in in private contact with the Community leaders? They are not always available and does not allow me to share my thoughts with the community. For an open democratic community what you are suggesting is neither open or democratic.
About bringing in new people, the Neualtenburg Projekt was never very popular in the chaos and freedom orientation minded residents of Second Life. Ulrika faced a great deal of opposition in the early days and her "reward" was getting ejected from the community she founded. Everyone made a lot of mistakes and my intention is not finger pointing but it still happened. Last summer in some ways was a repeat performance.
About making a impact toward the next budget, unless I am voted into the RA, I will have no real chance to input. Most of the meetings are done on European time and on weekdays. I get the joys of working 5 days a week and that is 8.5 plus hours on the job plus commuting time. Oh I usually "tone down" my messages, laughs but back to the point. If I have to write only consensus building statements in the forum and not being given the opportunity to participate in the government. I might as well rent my Alpine lot from Anshe Chung!

Return to “Business, Commerce and the Economy”