Sim Restarts

Here you might discuss basically everything.

Moderator: SC Moderators

Widget Whiteberry
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Sim Restarts

Post by Widget Whiteberry »

iirc, Tor was in the habit of restarting the sims in the hours before an event that could be expected to draw traffic. I don't know if he did it himself or delegated the task to an EM or PIO. Is there a standard practice, in law or otherwise?

Rosie Gray
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Re: Sim Restarts

Post by Rosie Gray »

No law about it Widget. Tor was always diligent about restarting sims before an event though, and all of the EM's (while he was Chancellor, and while Trebor was Chancellor too) would restart them now and then when there was nobody on a sim, or if noticing an undue amount of lag. I don't think there was ever any written policy about it - just common sense. :D

"Courage, my friend, it's not too late to make the world a better place."
~ Tommy Douglas
Patroklus Murakami
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Patroklus Murakami »

I got a taste for sim restarts when I was Chancellor too :) Fun when there's no one about to disturb! And very sensible an hour or two before an event.

Honi soit qui mal y pense
Nolligan
Seasoned debater
Seasoned debater

Post by Nolligan »

As an Estate Manager I've been restarting all the SIMs two times a week. I guess none of you noticed as I do it when you're not logged in.

However, as my in-world profile picture states 'Je suis en vacances' and can't do re-starts until mid-August. Currently I'm enjoying the delights of the West Riding of Yorkshire, next week I fly to Connaught, last week I was in Picardie.

'So long and thanks for all the fish'
Rosie Gray
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Rosie Gray »

Nolligan wrote:

As an Estate Manager I've been restarting all the SIMs two times a week. I guess none of you noticed as I do it when you're not logged in.

However, as my in-world profile picture states 'Je suis en vacances' and can't do re-starts until mid-August. Currently I'm enjoying the delights of the West Riding of Yorkshire, next week I fly to Connaught, last week I was in Picardie.

Unseen work is often what keeps things running like clockwork!

"Courage, my friend, it's not too late to make the world a better place."
~ Tommy Douglas
Bagheera
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Bagheera »

Widget Whiteberry wrote:

iirc, Tor was in the habit of restarting the sims in the hours before an event that could be expected to draw traffic. I don't know if he did it himself or delegated the task to an EM or PIO. Is there a standard practice, in law or otherwise?

The official Linden position on sim restarts:

Region Restarts: Restarting the region can be iffy at times. You have to know when it is appropriate to do so. The truth is it is never a jump-to kind of action - you should only do a restart when informed to do so by a Linden Lab employee, make sure you have debugged first ect. Once you Restart a region, it will go down and come back up within 2 minutes. You can also hit delay restart, and delay it to 60 minutes.

Found here:
http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Estate_Menu

Most everyone manages to restart sims without problems, but it does come with risks. They don't happen often but their rarity is countered by their severity (inventory goes missing, the sim has the equivalent of a virtual earthquake with things getting tossed around, money transactions don't complete, etc.)

Nolli restarts the sims when things are quiet, which is the absolute best time to do it, and deeply appreciated!

It is equally as important, if not more so, to review sim scripts and objects using the debug tools in the Estate Manager menu. One of the major issues, CDS has been having - related to lag, appears to be linked to breedables, about which many estates have policies but CDS does not. This is something we (the Estate Managers) have been talking about because we know that those citizens who have breedables probably really like them, but they have been spiking the sims and causing lag, so we will probably be proposing some policy to manage the problem soon. In the meantime, if any citizen is having problem with lag, please let Ceasar or any of the EMs know, preferably by notecard, so we can research the problem and properly identify root causes.

Usually I Dislike a Cloud Sky
Tonight I Realize That a Cloud Sky
Makes Me Appreciate the Light of the Moon
- impromptu poem composed by Gen'i
as depicted in Yoshitoshi's 100 Aspects of the Moon
Garnet Psaltery
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Post by Garnet Psaltery »

About breedables - I haven't got any out at the moment but I know the KittyCats don't cause lag. I asked Tenk to check when I put them out in Babbage and they weren't a problem.

Bromo Ivory
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Bromo Ivory »

Bagheera wrote:
Widget Whiteberry wrote:

Region Restarts: Restarting the region can be iffy at times. You have to know when it is appropriate to do so. The truth is it is never a jump-to kind of action - you should only do a restart when informed to do so by a Linden Lab employee, make sure you have debugged first ect. Once you Restart a region, it will go down and come back up within 2 minutes. You can also hit delay restart, and delay it to 60 minutes.

Found here:

Most everyone manages to restart sims without problems, but it does come with risks. They don't happen often but their rarity is countered by their severity (inventory goes missing, the sim has the equivalent of a virtual earthquake with things getting tossed around, money transactions don't complete, etc.)

Nolli restarts the sims when things are quiet, which is the absolute best time to do it, and deeply appreciated!

It is equally as important, if not more so, to review sim scripts and objects using the debug tools in the Estate Manager menu. One of the major issues, CDS has been having - related to lag, appears to be linked to breedables, about which many estates have policies but CDS does not. This is something we (the Estate Managers) have been talking about because we know that those citizens who have breedables probably really like them, but they have been spiking the sims and causing lag, so we will probably be proposing some policy to manage the problem soon. In the meantime, if any citizen is having problem with lag, please let Ceasar or any of the EMs know, preferably by notecard, so we can research the problem and properly identify root causes.

I had hear that you only want to do a sim restart if you have to, and not as part of a maintenance routine. But in my brief stint as a sim owner with residents, I rarely, if ever had trouble with lag or other issues that could be be traced down to an errant script or something like that.

I'd agree that I'd want to "watch for" the various breedables - and as Garnet said, not all of them will be a lag inducer over any other script that might be running.

==
"Nenia peno nek provo donos lakton de bovo."

Bagheera
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Bagheera »

Bromo Ivory wrote:
Bagheera wrote:
Widget Whiteberry wrote:

Found here:

I had hear that you only want to do a sim restart if you have to, and not as part of a maintenance routine. But in my brief stint as a sim owner with residents, I rarely, if ever had trouble with lag or other issues that could be be traced down to an errant script or something like that.

I'd agree that I'd want to "watch for" the various breedables - and as Garnet said, not all of them will be a lag inducer over any other script that might be running.

Yes, not all breedables are bad, but some are. There are been have incidences of brief but severe lag in CDS and when I went to look for the cause, it seemed to correlate with breedable activity (such as when a new one gets born/hatched) because the lag incidences happened at the same time. Scripts aren't supposed to cause lag anymore, but they still seem to, so there is some underlying dynamic that is not understood or unreported (much like a similar but different problem of http requests shutting off user wireless connections - it isn't supposed to do that, but it is). This is why I ask those who experience lag to let the Executive know, so we can identify the causes by triangulating events (if possible) and not rail against something which may not actually be the problem.

Usually I Dislike a Cloud Sky
Tonight I Realize That a Cloud Sky
Makes Me Appreciate the Light of the Moon
- impromptu poem composed by Gen'i
as depicted in Yoshitoshi's 100 Aspects of the Moon
Widget Whiteberry
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Widget Whiteberry »

This is why I ask those who experience lag to let the Executive know

Thank you, Bags, I will.