"Secret" LUC Meeting?

Here you might discuss basically everything.

Moderator: SC Moderators

Felicia Fortune
Seasoned debater
Seasoned debater

"Secret" LUC Meeting?

Post by Felicia Fortune »

I"m just wondering why there was no inworld announcement nor notice posted on the forums for the LUC meeting until after the fact?
Isn't the LUC a legitimate governmental body and therefore required to post notice about their meetings at least 24 hours beforehand?
I'm sure there would have been other people who would have attend had this meeting been made "public".

“Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.” - Mark Twain
Cadence Theas
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Re: "Secret" LUC Meeting?

Post by Cadence Theas »

Felicia Fortune wrote:

I"m just wondering why there was no inworld announcement nor notice posted on the forums for the LUC meeting until after the fact?
Isn't the LUC a legitimate governmental body and therefore required to post notice about their meetings at least 24 hours beforehand?
I'm sure there would have been other people who would have attend had this meeting been made "public".

Felicia, there was no secret meeting. In its current manifestation, the LUC is simply an advisory committee that advises the chancellor in matters relating to covenant, terraforming, and buildings. And the chancellor can accept or not the recommendations. The meetings are not private, but nor is there a mandate to announce them. The minutes and transcripts are published in the interest of transparency. This is also why the LUC members are appointed from different sectors of CDS: the chancellory, the RA, the Guild and the civil society, to ensure that all interests are represented in its advisory capacity.

Delia Lake
Dean of the SC
Dean of the SC

Post by Delia Lake »

As Cadence said, LUC meetings are not private or secret. Visitors are welcome to come and listen to the meetings. Until this past meeting we didn't have officers, which we do now again. I am the Chair for this term. I will post announcements to the CDS so interested citizens and others can attend meetings if they wish. The next LUC meeting will be in about 2 weeks. We are looking at possible dates right now. When I have one, I'll post it. Again as Cadence said, the LUC is an advisory committee. Our primary role is to advise the RA and Chancellor, and make suggestions and recommendations regarding issues of land use in the CDS.

So everyone will know, here is the description from the law establishing the LUC. The whole law (#CDSL 21-01) can be found on the Portal

SECTION I: FORMATION OF A STANDING LAND-USE COMMISSION
The Representative Assembly (RA), in accord with its constitutionally mandated service role to “perform long term planning,” shall establish a permanent commission, called the CDS Land-Use Commission (hereinafter called “the Commission”), to advise on the regulation of such use in the Confederation of Democratic Simulators (hereinafter called “CDS”). Which Land-Use shall be hereafter defined as: Any manipulation of, or activity within, the three-dimensional Second Life grid including, but not limited to, region purchase and placement, terraforming, object placement, textures, as well as the type of activities for which said environment shall be used. Said authority shall be vested with the Commission, within the CDS estate in the present Second Life Grid, its territories in an SL2, or another grid upon which CDS establishes a presence.

Patroklus Murakami
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Patroklus Murakami »

Felicia has asked a perfectly reasonable question. If you look at the law the RA passed, the LUC *is* required to announce them (my emphasis in bold):

SECTION V: MEETINGS
Meetings of the Commission shall be held at published times, at a frequency dependent on the demands of its mandate, but not less than once per Month. Procedures shall be adopted to encourage speedy and measured discussions and votes. A quorum shall be 1 member more than half of the appointed members. All decisions shall be considered passed by either a majority of the quorum or by the chairperson if the vote is split. Unless otherwise published, all meetings shall be open to Citizens, who shall be afforded a brief time at the end of the session to ask questions. All in attendance shall be notified that the entire transcript will be recorded and published. The Secretary shall post the transcript of the meeting, within 24 hours of adjournment, in a medium accessible to all Citizens. Minutes of all meetings shall be accepted at the following regular meeting, and be published with the transcript of that regular meeting.

I don't recall if the meeting that Felicia is referring to took any decisions but it would be wise, if they did, to ratify these at the next properly constituted and advertised meeting so there is no question mark over their validity.

Delia's commitment to post announcements for future meetings is welcome as it will avoid this kind of problem cropping up again.

Honi soit qui mal y pense
Delia Lake
Dean of the SC
Dean of the SC

Post by Delia Lake »

The next LUC meeting will be Sunday, 06 September at 8 am SLT. I'll post an agenda on the LUC announcements thread by the end of this week.

Return to “General Discussion”