CDS History Museum News

Here you might discuss basically everything.

Moderator: SC Moderators

Sylvia Tamalyn
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

CDS History Museum News

Post by Sylvia Tamalyn »

(Text of what was just sent in a notice to CDS group, with an edit to the typo I made in the notecard...)

We have a home!

Thanks to generous donations and pledges of ongoing support, the CDS History Society was able to purchase a parcel in Colonia Nova this morning. The lovely building that is already on the parcel, built by Lilith Ivory, looks like it was made to be a gallery or museum, so we are ready to start setting up exhibits!

We were able to purchase a prim parcel as well, and will be happy to host a sky location for a copy of the Kendra Rathaus. If someone (Lilith?) wants to move their copy to the museum, please let me know and we'll get together and get it done!

The parcel has been deeded to the CDS History Society, and any donations of funds or items for display can be made to CDSHistoria (Resident), an avatar set up in the Rudeen or Archie tradition: She handles all the funds and inventory for the group.

If you are interested in joining the group, membership is free and all are welcome, but you don't have to be a member to help out! Please let me know if there are any questions, and thanks for all who have supported this project and continue to do so!

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/C ... 122/186/43

Snapshot_001.jpg
Guillaume Mistwalker
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Re: CDS History Museum News

Post by Guillaume Mistwalker »

Hello all! I shared this in the CDS History Society's group, but I wanted to follow up with it here. We have decided to purchase C.13, which I think is a great building for having many different rooms for exhibits. I have gone ahead and catalogued those various rooms and planned out a general plan for the building as a whole, and I've come up with these proposed exhibits.

1. Early CDS History: from Anzere to Neualtenberg
2. CDS History: from Neualtenberg to merger with Al-Andalus
3. Al-Andalus/CDS art history
4. Colonia Nova: its history and its inspiration
5. General Master Plans: changing visions for the estate

What do you all think?

Gaius Nebuliens Curio (Guillaume Mistwalker)
si enim pecunias aequari non placet, si ingenia omnium paria esse non possunt, iura certe paria debent esse eorum inter se, qui sunt cives in eadem re publica. (Cic. De Rep. 1.32.49)
Sylvia Tamalyn
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Post by Sylvia Tamalyn »

Thanks for all of your help and suggestions this morning, Gaius! I'm glad you are pleased with the choice of location, and am very glad you're working with me on the organization of the exhibits! I hope others who have been around for much of this will offer ideas and suggestions (and items to exhibit!) as well.

I do have one question: What is the thinking behind dedicating a room only to CN? Maybe there is major history to CN that is more important than the other regions, and I just do not realize it. :)

Cadence Theas
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Cadence Theas »

RL has kept me from CDS for a long time, so I am seeing everything now with "newbie" eyes. I think it is amazing that we now have a historical society and a resident museum. To the people who organized this, I think it is wonderful way of celebrating the legacy of CDS. Thank you!

Sylvia Tamalyn
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Post by Sylvia Tamalyn »

Thanks, Cadence! I hope you will, as you have time, see what you might have to add to the exhibits. It's a new work in progress, and I'm very happy for any and all contributions! :)

Sylvia Tamalyn
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Post by Sylvia Tamalyn »

I'm very happy to report that citizens have been coming by to check out the museum and join the history group. The museum is a work in progress with some displays in place, along with a meeting room and a couple of lounge areas. Now that the elections are over and our vacationing citizens will return soon, I hope to get the building filled up!

I would love to add more photos and historical objects/relics, either as donations or on loan to the museum. If you have anything you want to donate directly to the museum, please send it to CDSHistoria, the group's treasurer/inventory account (and let me know, so that I can make sure it gets put on display).

The land is owned by the CDS History Society group, so any member of that group should be able to place objects there. I do ask that if you choose to drop off some items so you can retain ownership, you set them to "share" with group, so that we can scoot displays around if needed. I'd also ask that if the object is more than a few LI, you give me a head's up in case I need to do some tweaking to accommodate. I know that older items tend to be heavier in LI, and am happy to work around that!

For those who are interested in the plan for the Kendra Rathaus, we are still working on the best way to preserve and display it. There has been discussion about displaying the building itself on a private parcel, with a nice photo/plaque with landmark in a place of honor in the museum. The idea is to be as safe as possible from any SL glitches regarding "no copy" items and group owned land. However, if someone is willing to place their own copy of the Rathaus on a platform above the museum, please let me know!

My hope is to see the group's membership continue to grow, and more importantly, to have the opportunity to display items that may have been packed away in citizens' inventories for years. Dust them off and let's see what you have! :D

Sylvia Tamalyn
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Post by Sylvia Tamalyn »

New item on display :D

Snapshot_001.jpg

Return to “General Discussion”