LL announces more control for estate owners

Here you might discuss basically everything.

Moderator: SC Moderators

Sylvia Tamalyn
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

LL announces more control for estate owners

Post by Sylvia Tamalyn »

"In recent server deploys, we rolled out valuable updates to land access in Second Life. These improvements made a change to allow estate owners and managers to always enter the regions that they administer, increased the population limits on regions, and granted premium members priority access to popular events.

But wait, there’s more …

Now, we are happy to announce another improved capability for estate managers. Estate managers may now enforce parcel access settings across their entire estate. They can choose to allow parcel owners to prohibit public access (creating a banline), or require that parcel owners permit public access so that most Residents experience the estate as a contiguous area.

As an estate owner, if you want a welcome area that is accessible to all, you’ll no longer need to manually check your parcels for banlines on your estate! Just set it and forget it. You will be informed that this change may impact any existing parcel settings, and you can rollback to previous individual parcel settings. We’ll keep the previous parcel settings - for a limited amount of time - in the simstate to temporarily safeguard against accidental changes.

We’ve adjusted the access management UI to try to make the effect of each change more clear, and have additional UI improvements in the works!

You can read a great (and highly detailed) recap of these changes on Inara Pey’s Blog. Thanks, Inara!

Keep a light lit... we have more exciting land enhancements coming on the wind in the future."

https://community.secondlife.com/blogs/ ... te-owners/

Sudane Erato
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Re: LL announces more control for estate owners

Post by Sudane Erato »

Although I don't think that all of our 6 sims support this control yet, I have loaded the new viewer and imposed this new setting on the estate. Hopefully that means that when all sims are upgraded to the new software they will all find the "no ban lines" policy imposed everywhere. It may be that we'll have to set the control again, once all sims are updated.

Since this is the clear and ancient policy of the community, I've taken this step. When fully effective, it means one less hassle for EMs who have had to instruct errant owners that ban lines, or "unchecking Public Access", are contrary to our rules and covenants.

Sudane..............................

*** Confirmed Grump ***
Profile: http://bit.ly/p9ASqg
Sylvia Tamalyn
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Post by Sylvia Tamalyn »

That's exactly how I read it, Sudane. Since EMs do get occasional reports of parcels where ban lines have been set (intentionally or accidentally), this will hopefully nip that issue in the bud. As you said, it's a long-standing policy of CDS, so taking advantage of this new tool makes sense to me!

Rosie Gray
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Rosie Gray »

One step in the right direction from the Lab!

"Courage, my friend, it's not too late to make the world a better place."
~ Tommy Douglas
Tor Karlsvalt
Chancellor
Chancellor

Post by Tor Karlsvalt »

Logging on today I saw there was a FS update that included a mention of new estate powers. Hehe Probably you all knew that.

Citizen
Ranma Tardis
Veteran debater
Veteran debater

Post by Ranma Tardis »

I checked and discovered I can still ban people. My ban list is empty and decided to test with the Princess's name.

Actually there is somethig wrong with the ban list. The name changed from the Princess to ғaaтιιι nιғlнeιм (Faatiii). I have never heard of this resident.

Sylvia Tamalyn
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Post by Sylvia Tamalyn »

That does not sound like an error with the ban list itself; I have never had any trouble with it as long as I was spelling a name correctly. You might want to make sure you are using the person's username (not display name, as those do change), and that it is spelled correctly with no typos.

ETA: The LL provision described above does not prevent a person from banning individual avatars. What it does, when turned on by the estate manager, is prevent you from setting your land to anything other than "public access". You can still ban by individual name.

Ranma Tardis
Veteran debater
Veteran debater

Post by Ranma Tardis »

It was set to Cleo and when I logged back in the name was changed to Faatii. I have added both Cleos and they have stuck. I am going to remove Cleo now as she is estate banned.

Sylvia Tamalyn
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Post by Sylvia Tamalyn »

Oh, I see. The confusion for me was because you said "The Princess", so I thought that you were typing "The Princess" in your ban box. I'm glad it's working for you now.

P.S. Congrats on the new parcels; I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with them! :)

Return to “General Discussion”