forum discussion re: Review of CDSL 24-01 Responsible Estate Management Act Discussion

Here you might discuss basically everything.

Moderator: SC Moderators

Tanoujin Milestone
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Re: forum discussion re: Review of CDSL 24-01 Responsible Estate Management Act Discussion

Post by Tanoujin Milestone »

It would be overdone to say I am disappointed by the lack of feedback to this discussion, but I want to take the opportunity to appeal to everyone to contribute if you feel you have anything to say.
It is actually work, and it is not the nicest topic - we have to imagine the CDS going down - and we had that discussion already, so it is somewhat a rehash. I really understand it is not a popular discussion. Nevertheless, like Max Weber said: „Politics is the strong and slow drilling of hard boards and both passion and sense of what is appropriate should be applied.“ Any help with this tedious task would be much appreciated.

The RA decided today to meet as a committee to review CDSL 24-01 Responsible Estate Management Act tomorrow 27 of February at 9 am at Bagheera’s place in Colonia Nova. I am quite sure we will agree to publish the transcript. Every Citizen is welcome to attend. Please consult the corresponding group note for a landmark. Our task is to bring up a text that can be decided on in a standard RA meeting.

At the moment we have 2 proposals on the table, the one Bagheera prepared, and mine. If there are no other suggestions (they would be welcome, we are not in a hurry), we can try to find a compromise. To get there, I am trying to break the two versions down to single independent decisions we can agree upon in consensus mode or by voting.

First let me cover what is consent already: as soon as the decision is made to sell a region (1), we want the Chancellor to handle the deal like this:

2. The Chancellor must give 90 days notice to all CDS citizens of the intention to sell a region both on the CDS forum and in an in-world CDS group notice.

3. The Chancellor must give 90 days notice of the sale to all citizens of the region via notecard. In the case of group owned land, the Chancellor will provide notice via notecard to the group owner.

May be we want to add something but all in all this is already fixed.

What we have to decide upon next:

1. Do we want fixed percentages for the region and the CDS as a whole, or do we want to decide case by case to initiate the process?

2. Do we leave it to the Chancellor to alert the community of this circumstances or do we open up this function to anyone?

3. Do we want the RA and the Chancellor review the situation or do we leave that in the responsibility of the RA only?

I am confident we will have a proper text very soon if we make this decisions.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Ian Maclaren
Ranma Tardis
Veteran debater
Veteran debater

Re: forum discussion re: Review of CDSL 24-01 Responsible Estate Management Act Discussion

Post by Ranma Tardis »

I do not like this Act and thinks it needs to be repealed. This is my final answer.

Tanoujin Milestone
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

And what do you do in case we have to sell a region to survive, Ranma? Invent a process on the fly?

Ian Maclaren
Ranma Tardis
Veteran debater
Veteran debater

Post by Ranma Tardis »

We will cross that bridge when the time arrives to make a decision. I have been assured that the CDS is not in any danger.

Sylvia Tamalyn
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Post by Sylvia Tamalyn »

It would be extremely shortsighted to have no process in place to at least initiate a review of the situation when it appears that a region may need to be sold. Trying to get everyone to agree on it now, when things are fine, appears to be appallingly difficult; how much worse would it be during a time of urgency and, for some, stress? The title of the law refers to "responsible estate management" and having a process in place, in advance of the need to use it, is the responsible thing to do.

However... I can't speak for anyone but myself, but this is already such a struggle with the LRA continually attempting to shut down all discussion, that I have no interest in contributing anything to the review itself. Perhaps that is why this thread is attracting so few participants? At any rate, I wish you and Bags the best of luck with it, Tan! I think what you doing is worthwhile.

Ranma Tardis
Veteran debater
Veteran debater

Post by Ranma Tardis »

The committee is the place to discuss this subject. When you have come up with a plan it can be brought before the RA. Please note the plan needs to be posted 7 days before a vote can be held in the RA. I am not shutting down discussion but think it needs to be held in committee or in the forums first.

Bagheera
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Bagheera »

It appears SL is having some difficulty allowing people to log in right now. I AM logged in and at my parcel in Colonia Nova, so I will wait to see who else can show up. I will also keep this window open in case some of you are trying to log in to join the committee meeting but cannot do so.

Usually I Dislike a Cloud Sky
Tonight I Realize That a Cloud Sky
Makes Me Appreciate the Light of the Moon
- impromptu poem composed by Gen'i
as depicted in Yoshitoshi's 100 Aspects of the Moon
Bagheera
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Bagheera »

Now I am the one who cannot log in

Tanoujin Milestone
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

I crashed and can not log back, tried for 30 minutes now. I am afraid we have to reschedule.

Ian Maclaren
Bagheera
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Bagheera »

Agreed, Tan.

For everyone else reading this. The first committee meeting was started this morning.

Coop
Veteran debater
Veteran debater

Post by Coop »

I'll leave my comments here, since the meetings seem to always be scheduled while I'm at work

We do need a formal process for selling sims. It is both short-sighted and irresponsible to not consider a way to sell a sim, as we do have a formal process for adding one. Saying we're in good shape now is like saying you don't need insurance because you're feeling well.

The points I want to raise about the original law are this - There is already a 90 day cushion built into the law to monitor performance. The reason the time was set to 30 days once the decision was made to sell was because of tier charging. Let's assume for a moment that one sim was vastly undersold, and that there was a trend of having to dip into the reserves to keep the overall estate in the black. If you continue with the 90 day wait before the sim is sold, then that is 3 more months of spending to deal with. That is why the study period is the long one, the one in which you try to redo things and turn around occupancy. Again, let's assume that we were in the red, and somehow did not have the funds to pay for the tier. The sim would be reclaimed by Linden Labs without any (or much) warning. As the law is currently written, everyone would have already been on notice for 90 days that something was going to happen, and in that period, you can say the situation is fixed and the process stops then. if the Estate as a whole is being drug down by the one sim in this example, the longer period on the 'sell' side would just aggravate the problem.

The law does put the burden on the Executive branch, because the majority of the day to day land business is done by them. If you added in a clause to review the sale with the RA, I have no problem with that. The law as it stands now said the Chancellor may initiate a sale, if they feel it is in the best interest of the whole. there are some milestones in there to make sure that the failure to reach 75% is not a blip or an anomaly.

Since it will be mentioned, I know we have a reserve. I realize that we could survive a long time on very low occupancy by using the reserve. I feel it is not prudent or wise to let that fact remove any process to make sure the estate survives or to have a written process in place to sell sims. We need to operate as if we did not have such a large cushion, so that our processes do not assume that there are no consequences for bad choices.

I now lay down the command of my legions and retire to private life. Marcus Licinius Crassus
Han Held
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Han Held »

Here is the transcript of the meeting that we had today: transcript

Tan referred to a point made by Gaius ...that it might not be one single sim that is underperforming, and asked what we'd do then.

That isn't addressed by this act, because this act is intended to deal with under-performing regions, not the over-all finances of the CDS. The motivation behind this law was to give the chancellor a way to deal with things if the cds was stuck with a white elephant ...which, at the time, a few people I talked to were anxious Friedsee was going to turn out to be.

Figuring out why the books aren't balancing is a seperate issue IMO.

It might be a good idea to change the name of the law to the "region divestment act" or something similar to address this confusion.

---
"I could talk talk talk, talk myself to death
But I believe I would only waste my breath" -Roxy Music "Remake, remodel"
Rosie Gray
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Rosie Gray »

Han Held wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:26 pm

It might be a good idea to change the name of the law to the "region divestment act" or something similar to address this confusion.

I think this is an excellent suggestion. The existing name could be referring to any number of issues.

"Courage, my friend, it's not too late to make the world a better place."
~ Tommy Douglas

Return to “General Discussion”