Leaving CDS

Here you might discuss basically everything.

Moderator: SC Moderators

Arria Perreault
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Leaving CDS

Post by Arria Perreault »

Hi everybody

After many years in CDS, it is time for me to leave. Second Life doesn't meet my expectations in the current projects I am developing in my real life. I have today other interests that are not really transferable in a virtual world or that are much more connected to the real word: in the coming years I want develop my activities as storyteller. I am already a storyteller, but I want to take more time to find, write, perform stories. Unfortunately I cannot tell stories in english. For this reason I cannot use Second Life.
I have an other reason. To be frank I did not develop the skills to transform and to adapt my two projects in CDS: the Monastery and the Roman Villa in Colonia Nova. The surrounding evolve, but not my buildings. I have neither the time nor the skill to improve them. Better to let the talented community of CDS create nice buildings on these places.
These last years I was less and less active in the community. The only one activity is the Advent Calendar of the Monastery. But maintaining the whole building for 24 days in a year doesn't make sense.
I am not saying good bye right now. I intend to leave this summer. August seems a good time. I want to let the time to the authorities of CDS to think about how they can use my two places. I think that the case of my two parcels of Colonia is easy to solve. The Monastery could be bring more discussions. I don't want to take any influence in the debates of the LUC or the RA about what to do with the Monastery. It is to the CDS to decide. Until August I will think about getting or not a small parcel somewhere in CDS to stay citizen. For this reason, I am not yet resigning from Scientific Council.
There will certainly be an opportunity to say good bye to all of you this summer and to say how great was my experience in CDS. Before abandoning my parcels, I will take some pics and videos.

Notice that I took some time to make this decision.

Kind regards

Arria Perreault

Han Held
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Re: Leaving CDS

Post by Han Held »

Hi, Arria :)

In the mid 2000's there was a comedy series called "Dead Like Me". It was about "reapers", as in "grim reapers". In the show, when someone died they had to be 'reaped'. In the 1st or 2nd episode the main character didn't want to do this -she thought if she didn't "reap" them, then they wouldn't die. That wasn't the case -instead they festered inside and rotted because they had stayed after their natural lives were over.

That's a very apt metaphor -in my opinion, at least, of VW projects. No one wants you to go, but at the same time my experience has been that when I've over-stayed my time (because of sentiment, because of fear -whatever) I begin to rot inside and fester with resentments.

You're a long-standing and valuable part of our community, and no one wants you to leave -but if you can't persue your projects here then you have no other choice. Still, your departure is going to leave a void in our community and you're going to be missed -keenly so.

Your Monastery parcel is $53USD, that's low enough that I trust that we'll be able to have someone step up and take it over and transform it. It's in good hands, so I'm not sweating that. It's gonna be fine.

I understand that you've given this a lot of thought, but I would like to offer my assistance if there's anything I can do to make it easier for you to stay in the CDS -either during my brief time as Chancellor or simply as Han Held. I'd love to visit with you and explore options for you to stay, if you feel that would help.

But you have given this a lot of thought, so ...if it's time to go, it is time to go. If you go, there's always tomorrow and you can always come back.

I hope that whatever you decide, you find contentment and satisfaction in the projects you pursue. :)

---
"I could talk talk talk, talk myself to death
But I believe I would only waste my breath" -Roxy Music "Remake, remodel"
Rosie Gray
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Rosie Gray »

Thank you Arria, for all of the years you have supported the Monastery and its activities in CDS. You've made an impact on the landscape for a long time. You will be missed but not forgotten!

"Courage, my friend, it's not too late to make the world a better place."
~ Tommy Douglas
Ranma Tardis
Veteran debater
Veteran debater

Post by Ranma Tardis »

I would love to see the Monastery project continue and am willing to pay the tier.

Han Held
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Han Held »

Ranma Tardis wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:42 am

I would love to see the Monastery project continue and am willing to pay the tier.

That is wonderful and very generous of you, Ranma -thank you!

I'm not sure where to go from here. Personally I suggest having some sort of meeting with (at the least) the LRA -whoever that ends up being- to decide what needs to be done with the Monastery project from here.

I don't have a lot of thoughts on this project; but I'd be willing to help out in any way (as a citizen or as an official) I can.

---
Ranma Tardis
Veteran debater
Veteran debater

Post by Ranma Tardis »

Can I get an update to the status of the Monastery.

Rosie Gray
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Rosie Gray »

Ranma Tardis wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:19 pm

Can I get an update to the status of the Monastery.

Arria said in her initial announcement that it would be August that she will divest of the Monastery. As far as I know, that's the only update.

~ Tommy Douglas
Ranma Tardis
Veteran debater
Veteran debater

Post by Ranma Tardis »

Just let me know if you need assistance with Monastery.

Han Held
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Han Held »

Ranma Tardis wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:24 pm

Just let me know if you need assistance with Monastery.

I am not sure what the course is from here. Arria has paid for another month, I don't know if she intends on paying in August, or if she intends for July to be the last month.

Either way, I'm guessing that setting up the future of the Monastery project will probably have to be coordinated with the RA. At least, that is what Arria said in her post and that's what I'm taking her intent to be.

We will want your help, definately, but I'm not sure how we're all going to go forward. While I'm Chancellor I'll be happy to help in any way I can, of course, but I have a feeling it's going to be down to the RA for the most part.

---
Tanoujin Milestone
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Tanoujin Milestone »

I see no reason for the RA to intervene if our honourable citizens agree to transfer their property using the „sell to a specific person“ function of the „about land“ tab.

We have seen times when the land market was strong and private sales were the norm.

IMO the whole transaction can be managed by the concerned parties with a little help from an estate manager.

I want to take the opportunity to thank both Arria and Ranma for their generous support of the community.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Ian Maclaren
Sylvia Tamalyn
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Post by Sylvia Tamalyn »

I agree with Tan. Unless the CDS government owns or is otherwise subsidizing the land in question, I don't see why the RA (or Chancellor, for that matter) would need to be involved in any transfer of ownership, unless it's to purchase the land and make it government-owned.

That being the case, when the time comes, setting it for sale to Ranma makes the most sense, since she has already indicated a desire to purchase the land and maintain the Monastery build. I don't know of any law that prevents private sales of land.

Han Held
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Han Held »

Wait...something in the CDS being straight forward and as obvious as it seems?

Have I been watching too much Fringe and woken up in an Alternate reality? **check Sylvia for a goatee** :D

Well, I'd be happy to have it be as simple as that. That would mean Ranma takes over the Monastery project entirely doesn't it? That is what causes the wrinkle -assuming that she's not simply buying the land, but also taking over that project (on her own? for the CDS? In partnership with the LUC? )

I've invited her to be the executive branch's representative on the LUC, though as I write this I haven't back from her. So any way we slice it (whether on her own, or with the CDS) that should give her a fairly good say in what happens with the Monastery Project going forward.

---
Ranma Tardis
Veteran debater
Veteran debater

Post by Ranma Tardis »

If I take over 100 percent, I will leave things pretty much the same. I will leave the group the same and have meetings to help make decisions.

Rosie Gray
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Rosie Gray »

This all makes sense to me too. One thing that might be tricky is the transfer of the Monastery building and the things in it. Ranma and Arria may have to figure that out between them. Some things are likely not transferable either, so that's another consideration. Everything can be worked out though, with patience.

~ Tommy Douglas
Ranma Tardis
Veteran debater
Veteran debater

Post by Ranma Tardis »

I paid a month of tier to continue Monastery. It is strange paying tier for someone else.

There needs to be a path forward.

Return to “General Discussion”