Museum of Contemporary Art (MoCA) - What's Next?

Here you might discuss basically everything.

Moderator: SC Moderators

Rosie Gray
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Re: Museum of Contemporary Art (MoCA) - What's Next?

Post by Rosie Gray »

I would very much like to hear Delia's thoughts about this!

"Courage, my friend, it's not too late to make the world a better place."
~ Tommy Douglas
Ranma Tardis
Veteran debater
Veteran debater

Post by Ranma Tardis »

Is the MoCA in danger of being removed? I am very much against removing it!

Delia Lake
Dean of the SC
Dean of the SC

Post by Delia Lake »

All the art that has been donated by artists to MoCA Neufreistadt plus the art that I bought and donated is held by MoCAso Oh. He is the museum alt and conservator of artworks.

Delia Lake
Dean of the SC
Dean of the SC

Post by Delia Lake »

Regarding the building itself, it is old primworks. Our Kirch and Rathaus have been rebuilt with newer technology. Perhaps it is time to begin a community conversation about updating our museum building.

Awenbunny Lisle
Lurker
Lurker

Post by Awenbunny Lisle »

It would be a fabulous move if older builds could be switched out for the lower LI mesh. It would free up many more prims for decorating the land and have the added bonus of giving residents who upgrade to mesh also, more useable prims without an increase in their rent.

Rosie Gray
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Rosie Gray »

I want to take us back to the more fundamental questions of what do we want from the MoCA, and how should it be managed? Delia, for a start, who has access to the MoCA avatar? Should we be resurrecting the committee with some new blood?

Also, just an FYI, the MoCa building isn't very prim heavy and wouldn't make any difference to how many prims are available for private owners or for public lands. I do agree that it might be a good idea to rebuild it using more modern techniques though. For one thing, the elevators don't work anymore. They used to work. I installed them when Trebor was Chancellor, and I've tried to fix them but I can't seem to get them working again.
The building is a topic that could be expanded after we talk about what we want and expect for it.

Lyubov
Veteran debater
Veteran debater

Post by Lyubov »

After considering all of these Forum posts, and speaking with several interested Citizens, I would like to share some of my personal thoughts about MoCA, not as an RA member, but simply as a CDS Citizen. These ideas are only offered as suggestions and discussion points.

It appears to me that we all like the "idea" of MoCA but we are struggling to take action to revitalize it. I would like to propose two ideas for consideration.

Proposal 1: Create a "Landmarks Preservation Act". Historic or culturally significant areas in CDS may be designated by a new Landmarks Commission as "historic landmarks" and will be CDS owned and maintained as in-place time capsules. These spaces may be "frozen in time" with no modifications allowed, or the Landmarks Commission may pre-approve specific alterations on a case-by-case basis. Historic landmarks will be visibly designated with a standardized landmarks sign and notecard giver, explaining the significance of the space. The existing MoCA could be the first designated historic landmark.

Note: at the 4 June RA meeting, Chancellor Kyoko reported that she has access to the MoCA storage avatar, and that between Delia and this avatar, they have control of all objects in MoCA, with the exception of the yellow rooftop "Infra Assemblage" piece.

A second approach is to re-purpose MoCA and designate a body responsible for programming. At this time, I would be happy to see any appropriate use for the space. The Description field under About Land for MoCA currently states, "The centre for cultural and artistic events in Neufreistadt". I think there are already a great number of possibilities within this theme.

Proposal 2: Repeal NL 3-6 MoCA Act. Draft a new Act, creating a new institution in the place of MoCA to continue the mission as a center for arts and culture in CDS.

The Museum of Contemporary Art, "MoCA" shall be renamed to the Neufreistadt Canter for Arts and Culture, "NFS-CAC".

NFS-CAC is owned and operated by CDS. The RA shall establish a Commission for maintenance and operation, including one RA member, one Chancellor representative, and two Citizen members. The members of the Commission are reappointed with each RA term.

The Chancellor will make funds available to the Commission for NFS-CAC programming, including events and displays.

As the term of the NFS-CAC Commission coincides with the RA term, it is expected that the NFS-CAC produce at least one event or display reflecting the general theme of "arts and culture" every six months.

Given that exhibitions are intended to be of a short duration, for no more than one RA term, it should not be necessary for an "archive avatar" to own all of the pieces. Works my be "on loan" from any owner of the piece. As a matter of functional convenience, all objects should be Shared with the parcel-owning Land Verwaltung group.

My personal view of "art" expands beyond "fine art" or sculpture and paintings. I am inspired by the collections of several New York City museums:
The Costume Institute at the Metropolitan Museum of Art (which is funded in large part by the annual Met Gala), the Department of Architecture and Design at the Museum of Modern Art (featuring objects including a Movado watch, a Bell helicopter, and the Pac-Man and Minecraft video games), and the Museum of Art and Design.

Within this framework, there is so much beautiful design work in SL that could form the basis of an exhibition: a piece of clothing, personal accessories, furniture, household objects, vehicles, pets, flowers ... each category could be an exhibition on its own. I am always in awe when I visit stores such as Dust Bunny, MadPea, or D-LAB, and there are so many more! I have also been building a personal "collection" of Animesh objects, from dancing bears and pets, to "service staff" -- each is a 3D mesh model with animations that make it "come alive" and would make an interesting interactive display. The additional theme of "culture" creates yet more, expanded possibilities. Borrowing from SLB16, a cultural display may be "1950's Americana" and feature objects inspired by that place and time. The recent CDS inaugural ball and Venetian Nights events suggest "Renaissance Era Venice" as another potential exhibition.

What is realistic, achievable, and can be done *now* by the Citizens of CDS, to refresh this institution? I would expect that we, the Citizens of CDS, could easily create an exhibition along any of the above suggested themes, by contributing only items that we already hold in our personal inventory. I think it would be fun to "crowd source" an exhibition, inviting all Citizens to contribute an object for display. One possibility for utilizing the space: ground floor main current exhibition area, upper level "selections from the permanent collection" from MoCA with a secondary current exhibition area, and a "green" rooftop human-scale sculpture garden.

While the location and building structure itself may not be ideal, I view this as a low priority concern. First, let's actively make use of the space, then we can consider building improvements as time and interest allow. There are many other areas in CDS requiring the attention of our talented builders; the NFS "densification" project itself was paused, to allow for the beautiful and wildly successful Stella Marina project.

I am looking forward to the grand opening celebration of a Neufreistadt Center for Arts and Culture. Let's make it happen!

Sudane Erato
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Sudane Erato »

Wow, Lyubov... these are wonderful ideas! I totally love them, and hope I can help.

Of the two "redefinition" proposals, I strongly prefer the second. I am not really in favor of a Landmarks Preservation Act... although I know that there is a lot of sentiment to preserve old builds just as they are. But between the economic burden of preserving old builds that are not serving a purpose, and the important requirement that we maintain our community with an aesthetic high quality in order to attract residents (and please ourselves), Landmarks Preservation doesn't really work IMHO. Your second proposal is much preferable.

Your program ideas that follow are fabulous!! Absolutely great. I hope others feel the same way.

Sudane...............................

*** Confirmed Grump ***
Profile: http://bit.ly/p9ASqg
Em Warden
Passionate Protagonist
Passionate Protagonist

Post by Em Warden »

Lyuobov's suggestions are well contemplated and professionally presented, and I agree with the reasons behind them.

Proposal 1: Create a "Landmarks Preservation Act":

I see this as an attempt to secure the "babies" of some citizens, who are very keen on preserving what they once created, and would even be seriously hurt if asked to make them more contemporary. I think the Monastery is one of them. Some of us citizens wants everything to be developed, using the latest SL technologies. Others want to preserve some buildings as a kind of historic monuments. Others again are somewhere in between, or can't make up their minds... We are strict about our covenants, and we need some structure here as well.

Some of the historical sites are privately owned and honored, but nevertheless, with a Landmark Preservation Act to lean on, the LUC could certainly suggest that the owners rez a sign on the property, which gives a NC to explain the historical background to visitors, as Lyubov suggested. The "Landmarks Commission" is a also a good idea, but it would be a temporary institution, since the historical sites and objects are limited in number, and once the proposed measures have been taken, the comission would probably not have any purpose, at least not for the foreseeable future. In my opinion it can be part of the LUC's domain.

Proposal 2: Repeal NL 3-6 MoCA Act; the Neufreistadt Center for Arts and Culture, "NFS-CAC":

I really like this one :) Your description of what can be done with the old mausoleum is truly inspiring, Lyubov! And I think we can all agree that no single person has the time or energy to instill new life in this old gem- it takes a joint venture. I strongly support the idea of "the Commission for NFS-CAC programming". And if we are not able to find enough citizens who are willing to put in the necessary work and give the MoCa a vital successor, well... the MoCa building will fall under the "Landmarks Preservation Act" :roll:

When you go through hell- keep walking!

Winston Churchill
Delia Lake
Dean of the SC
Dean of the SC

Post by Delia Lake »

In the past, exhibits at MoCA Neufriestadt have included music and musical performances as well as visual arts. We have had artists do gallery talks too. We had talked about doing performance arts as well but that never came together. I'd still love to do that. We have also had sculpture walks with sculptures placed throughout the CDS public lands, although the CDS was much smaller then.

Lyubov
Veteran debater
Veteran debater

Post by Lyubov »

At Monday's (8 July) meeting, the RA voted to move NL 3-6 MoCA Act to "Archaic" laws. This discussion begins at 12:29 in the transcript, http://forums.slcds.info/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9043

At 12:36 the Chancellor asked that she be granted permission to mount a temporary exhibition in the ground floor space of MoCA. The RA voted at 13:00 to approve, "The Chancellor may document all items in the ground floor space of MoCA and remove and store these items in the MoCA Storage Avatar. The Chancellor will create a new temporary exhibition, to be open for public display by 1 August 2019". Thank you Kyoko! :)

Lyubov
Veteran debater
Veteran debater

Post by Lyubov »

At our 19 August RA meeting, the CDSL 31-1 MoCA Curator Appointment Act was passed. As LRA, I invite any Citizen in good standing to apply to be MoCA Curator.

Applicants should include a summary of relevant qualifications for the position and a brief outline of intended exhibitions as described in the Act. This first MoCA Curator will serve an abbreviated term, from September to January.

Applications are due no later than 1200 SLT on Tuesday 3 September. The RA intends to appoint the MoCA Curator at our next regular meeting, on Thursday 5 September.

Please direct your application to me via email (preferred) or in-world notecard. I will confirm receipt of your application.

Thank you!

Minutes 19 August RA meeting: http://forums.slcds.info/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9113

CDSL 31-1 MoCA Curator Appointment: https://cdsdemocracy.org/faqs/cdsl-31-1 ... pointment/

Lyubov
Veteran debater
Veteran debater

Post by Lyubov »

At today's RA meeting, all RA members present voted to appoint Kyoko as MoCA Curator. Congratulations, and thank you Kyoko!

Return to “General Discussion”