General Covenant - Restrict Parcel Sounds, Greeters

Here you might discuss basically everything.

Moderator: SC Moderators

Lyubov
Veteran debater
Veteran debater

General Covenant - Restrict Parcel Sounds, Greeters

Post by Lyubov »

At yesterday's RA meeting a concern was discussed regarding private parcel sounds spamming visitors outside of the owner's parcel itself. There was general agreement that all non-natural non-environmental sounds must be restricted to the owner's parcel on privately owned land. Furthermore, there was also a consensus that greeter scripts must also be limited to the boundaries of the parcel.

An open question is whether *all* sounds must be restricted to the parcel. The About Land setting "Restrict gesture and object sounds to this parcel" is a checkbox, either On or Off. Individual objects may have their own settings. Many people find the CDS soundscape a thing of beauty, others do not. Many public spaces in CDS, such as those owned by the LV group, offer a rich natural sound environment. The Firestorm viewer does contain discrete controls for sound, to reduce or mute the volume on items such as Media, Music, Ambient, Sounds.

The General Covenant for CDS (https://cdsdemocracy.org/cds-themes/) is the relevant place to list these limitations and it would fall under the Chancellor's discretion to enforce the policy and determine which sounds may be inappropriate.

In the spirit of the least restrictive policy, I propose the following text to be added under General Rules:
  • All non-natural, non-environmental sounds must be restricted to the parcel boundaries.
I also propose the following to be added under Scripts and Particles:
  • All greeter scripts must be restricted to the parcel boundaries.
Please share your thoughts on these items. The RA would like to vote on these updates to the General Covenant at the next meeting on 20 October.
Rosie Gray
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Re: General Covenant - Restrict Parcel Sounds, Greeters

Post by Rosie Gray »

This proposal sounds really good to me. Thank you Lyubov!
"Courage, my friend, it's not too late to make the world a better place."
~ Tommy Douglas
Tanoujin Milestone
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Post by Tanoujin Milestone »

It is a good proposal.I think there is a minimal consensus regarding this regulations. Lets insert that passages in any case.

Nevertheless I have my thoughts about the minority proposal to restrict *all* sounds to the parcels. First I had difficulties to understand the reason, but I was told some short looped or intensive natural/environmental sounds (like crying cats, howling wolves, barking dogs or bonfires) from a private parcel could disturb a neighbouring citizen who does not want to mute this kind of sounds alltogether.

Now, why isn't this kind of sound an issue if it comes from public land? Because we have reason to believe there is a quality assurement and public control - if someone feels disturbed, he can use the usual channels to find a solution.

I would like to expand this principle by offering a mediation/arbitration process:

"By approving this covenant you agree to accept the chancellor as confidental mediator in case of private conflict regarding natural or environmental sounds from private sources that affect you on your own property. If mediation does not result in settlement, the Chancellor can forward the case to the Scientific Council for public arbitration."

(see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mediation for technical details)
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Ian Maclaren
Rosie Gray
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Rosie Gray »

Tanoujin, your additional proposal sounds reasonable to me. But, I do think that with the inworld tools available to mute individual objects and to lower the volume of different types of sounds that there shouldn't be a lot of reason for it.
"Courage, my friend, it's not too late to make the world a better place."
~ Tommy Douglas
Lyubov
Veteran debater
Veteran debater

Post by Lyubov »

Thank you Tan, you offer a good suggestion. Perhaps we can expand the concept of mediation even further and generalize it to all items concerning the Covenant, and not limit it solely to the issue of parcel sounds.

We can add a new section to the Covenant following "Commercial Zoning" called "Compliance".

Compliance:

Purchasing land in CDS constitutes acceptance of this Covenant and any relevant region-specific Covenant. The CDS Chancellor ensures compliance with the Covenant and may employ discretion to issue variances as appropriate. In the event of any person-to-person dispute, the parties agree to mediation by the Chancellor, and final resolution by the Scientific Council.

Return to “General Discussion”