A note to all RA members

Here you might discuss basically everything.

Moderator: SC Moderators

cleopatraxigalia
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

A note to all RA members

Post by cleopatraxigalia »

As MT is traveling he asked me to post this

I was asked by Justice to attend on the 7th September 2008 to which I agreed.

Excerpt from RA transcript 17th August 2008

Justice Soothsayer: So, on to MT's nomination. It has been traditional for nominees to the SC to appear before the RA to answer any questions, though there is no way the RA can require any nominee to do so.
Justice Soothsayer: I would like to ask MT if he would be willing to come back to the next, and hopefully full qurorum, meeting, to discuss this with the RA before we vote on his nomination.
MT Lundquist: I cant i'm not available next
Justice Soothsayer: That would be on 31 August per our earlier conversation.
Justice Soothsayer: Well, we have until 12 September to decide.
MT Lundquist: thats fine
Justice Soothsayer: so how about 7 September?
MT Lundquist: 12th is ok i think
MT Lundquist: i will let you know
Justice Soothsayer: Sorry for the confusion, MT, 12 September is our deadline, not our meeting date.
MT Lundquist: ok apologies
Justice Soothsayer: We've been meeting on Sundays, so that leave either 31 August or 7 September for us to meet with you again, with a quorum for a vote.
MT Lundquist: 7th should be ok
Justice Soothsayer: Very well. Let's plan on 7 September.
Justice Soothsayer: Any other comments on this item, or other business before we move to the open comment period?
MT Lundquist: ok bye all
Justice Soothsayer: thanks, MT
Danton Sideways: Bye MT

Excerpt from RA transcript 31st August 2008

Justice Soothsayer: Can we move on to the next item, Nomination of MT for SC?
Arria Perreault: ok
Gwyneth Llewelyn: fine
Justice Soothsayer: I haven't heard from MT via email or otherwise that he wasn't coming today; at our last meeting we agreed that we would consider his nomination today.
Gwyneth Llewelyn: Ah, I was going to ask that....
Justice Soothsayer: I'm a little disappointed, as I had several questions I wanted to pose, as I suspect others might as well.
Justice Soothsayer: I do want to note that Bells requested a 7-day vote, so we won't make a final decision today.
Gwyneth Llewelyn: I had a few, yes...
Gwyneth Llewelyn: Ah ok.
Justice Soothsayer: Though I will also note that we *MUST* make a final decision by 12 September.
Justice Soothsayer: Any discussion?
Gwyneth Llewelyn: Well hmm
Arria Perreault: we have quorum. Why should we wait for Bells?
Gwyneth Llewelyn: I feel it's unfair to discuss a candidate to the SC without having him present to answer any questions, or make a stand, a defense of honour, etc
Rubaiyat Shatner: I want to hear from him as well
Justice Soothsayer: Arria, Bells can vote via email per her request
Pip Torok: point of information: does "nomination of" involve recs about the actual appointment or just on his/her nomination?
Moon Adamant: myself, as audience, would like to hear the candidate myself ...
Justice Soothsayer: The Constitution says we vote to ratify candidates to the SC.
Pip Torok: so would I
Justice Soothsayer: We can *ask* them to appear to answer questions, but can't force 'em to do so.

Moon Adamant: may I?
Justice Soothsayer: Moon next, then back to RA members.
Patroklus Murakami: i'd like a word too, if possible
Moon Adamant: just a a brief comment to Jamie, and then a question to the RA
Moon Adamant: Jamie, if he is willing to serve, why isn't he here to defend hiscandidature?
Moon Adamant: and my question to the RA;

Cleo
Justice Soothsayer
Pundit
Pundit

Re: A note to all RA members

Post by Justice Soothsayer »

I owe MT a HUGE apology for not remembering that he was unavailable 31 August and that we agreed on 7 September to consider his candidacy to the SC. My recollection was that at our 17 August meeting we decided to consider the nomination at the next meeting of the RA (31 August) and posted the meeting agenda accordingly, but obviously my recollection was flawed. I suppose that's why we post the transcripts.

I will move at the 7 September RA meeting that we reconsider the decision to not confirm MT, and re-open this decision. Just so there are no surprises, these are the questions I intend to ask MT to answer (and encourage others to post theirs here as well):

1) What is the proper role of the Scientific Council in our democracy?

2) How is the role of a member of the SC different from the role of member of the RA?

3) What qualities should we look for in a member of the SC, and how do you possess those qualities?

4) Shortly after the last election, you asked the SC to order an entirely new election. Please explain why this action would not have been inappropriately "activist" of the SC.

Justice Soothsayer
Pundit
Pundit

I also want to note in my own defense part of Sunday's transcript ThePrincess omitted:

Justice Soothsayer: Bells exercized her right to request a 7-day vote on this matter; the rest of us could also vote via postings on the forums if we choose to do so; I think we should post any questions we have for MT on the forums, let him respond, and vote via the forums within the next 7 days.

Dnate Mars
Veteran debater
Veteran debater

Post by Dnate Mars »

I am glad that this matter has been resolved the way it has. MT will get to defend himself now. However, not everyone may know who MT is, I for one think he should post and take questions from the citizens. With SLCC and RL going on, not everyone can make it to the RA meeting. Perhaps he would like to post here and take questions. MT if you would like, could you tell us why you want to be part of the SC?

Arria Perreault
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Arria Perreault »

MT, I have a question for you:

In the last RA meeting, I have told the story of Aristides the Just, a politician man in Athens in Antiquity. This man was going to be bannished at the Assembly by ostracism. He was at the Assembly which was voting his own banishment. Poeple had to write the name of the person they would like to bannish. Aristides was sitting near a man who was illeterate. This man asked him to write "Aristides" on his ostracon. Aristides did it. We can probably interpret this story in several ways. In my point of view, it shows someone who is so full of respect for the institution that giving the possibility to a person to vote is more important that his own fate. This is an outstanding comportment, but I personnaly expect that SC members put the respect of laws and institutions much higher than their own interest and the interest of their factions and friends. It can really happen that you will have to take a decision against your own interest or in defavour of your faction or of a friend. Can you publicly declare that you agree with this principle?

Desmond Shang
Passionate Protagonist
Passionate Protagonist

Post by Desmond Shang »

I think Aristides the Just simply let himself banned by that illiterate fool with waaay too much moxie - imagine - that ignorant loser asking him to write down "Aristides" for banishment? Tack-y.

I can only hope and pray Aristides the Just returned as Aristides666 Hax, teh Griefer.

MT rocks, by the way. I like people who stick to personal principles over consensus. Says tons about character, regardless of perceived correctness.

Gwyneth Llewelyn
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

A question to MT Lundquist

Post by Gwyneth Llewelyn »

MT, my question to you is a strictly legalist technicism, but obviously dealing with such questions will be your new task if you get appointed.

Both on the SC meeting of August 13 and the RA meeting of August 31, Claude Desmoulins stated what is in his opinion the short list of criteria for nominating new members of the SC:

Claude Desmoulins: I tried to reference it in the SC meeting.
Claude Desmoulins: Personally , I think the SC needs three things.
Claude Desmoulins: 1) A diversity of opinions
Claude Desmoulins: 2) Members who can think
Claude Desmoulins: 3) Level heads.

It's quite obvious and undeniable that the SC has a constitutionally-granted freedom to define its own internal procedures, and adding further criteria to validate membership in the SC is certainly not only allowed, but encouraged.

However, the Constitution of the CDS, in its Article III, Section 2, establishes the criterium for nomination:

Professors are chosen at the recommendation of current members based on demonstrated skill and desire to uphold the constitution without bias.

Since there were no further amendments to this bit of the Constitution, we have to take that it has precedence to any other criteria added by the SC as part of its internal rulings. So "demonstrated skill" (ie. something that occured in the past) and "upholding the constitution without bias" are the important criteria here.

On the very same SC meeting, your own issue of "upholding the constitution without bias" (in the sense of being level-headed, detached, and not emotional about issues, and keeping personal things outside the sphere of public discussion) was indeed raised, and an opportunity was given to explain your past behaviour:

Claude Desmoulins: If petitioners believe, because of pointed words, that the SC is fulfilling someone's personal agenda, that's a bad thing. You do make a good point about MT having been on the other side of things.
Claude Desmoulins: MT, do you have anything to say?
MT Lundquist: yes
MT Lundquist: i do believe i have been exercising a different function in my previous role as a member of the RA
MT Lundquist: as a politician its important to be passionate about things
MT Lundquist: I also dont believe being passionate necesarily clouds reason
MT Lundquist: however i do understand that the SC operates on different principles

My reading of your comments is that although in the past you were "passionate" about issues and raised your points emotionally, using them to your benefit (or your faction's/friends' benefit), since they're "important for a politician", you were from now on very willing to adopt a completely different stance — being level-headed, rational, detached, and unbiased in your new role as member of the SC. That is, obviously, a very commendable attitude and an encouraging one to aspire for a future SC member.

However, the Constitution is quite clear that one of the two fundamental criteria for a nomination (not the three new criteria enumerated and repeated by the Dean) implies demonstrated skill in the past — not a "promise do demonstrate skill in the future"! Although it's commendable that any member of the SC promises to "behave as a true SC member ought to behave", the appointment of new members are supposed to be for citizens that already "behave as a SC member" ("demonstrated skills"), not ones that promise to do so in the future.

In the light of this apparent paradox between what the Constitution says, what the new criteria for your appointment are, and what your past behaviour "as a politician" demonstrated to the public (taking into account your pledge to drop that behaviour once appointed), how do you review your own nomination as a member of the SC? How would you, as a SC member, deal with the apparent paradox of nominating a member that does not fulfil one of the criteria established in the Constitution but fulfils all others (including, of course, an unanimous nomination by the SC)?

"I'm not building a game. I'm building a new country."
  -- Philip "Linden" Rosedale, interview to Wired, 2004-05-08

PGP Fingerprint: CE8A 6006 B611 850F 1275 72BA D93E AA3D C4B3 E1CB

Desmond Shang
Passionate Protagonist
Passionate Protagonist

Post by Desmond Shang »

Great question! I wonder how the existing SC members answer it. Of course, it's easier to answer when they are already behaving as, ah, 'themselves' per the definition, paragons of logic and reason that they are.

Personally I see the whole SC concept as inherently flawed, in light of judicial/executive/legislative balance, but what would I know about such things... grin

cleopatraxigalia
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by cleopatraxigalia »

ok everyone.. MT is still travelling and he is possibly going to be home for the SC meeting but that is only if the flights and subsequent shuttles are ALL on time .........so if he isnt there.. what happens.?? He has no access to a computer for now.

Cleo
Justice Soothsayer
Pundit
Pundit

thePrincess wrote:

so if he isnt there.. what happens.??

That's up to the RA, of course, but my vote is that we continue the discussion via any postings MT and others care to offer on this forum, and have a 7-day vote on the RA Discussion forum (with the proviso that all votes be in by 11 September, as we have a self-imposed 30-day deadline to vote). I trust thePrincess as the de facto spokesavatar will pass my suggestion along to MT if possible.

Arria Perreault
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Arria Perreault »

In the topic http://forums.slcds.info/viewtopic.php? ... =30#p12039 , ThePrincessParisi told this:

theprincessparisi wrote:

MTs report is not necessarilly HIS opinion.. he was the "secretary" he just wrote what citizens told him .. it is not HIM fighting for what he believes at all.. the "traffic: requirement suggest was Cindy Ecksols.. as a matter of fact.. (arria.. this is to you) and she is in the SC.. hmmm??

please stop using the commerce commission argument against MT.. he simply held meetings, took notes, and passed teh input of ALL citizens on to the RA.. now he is being attacked for what citizens said and he wrote down. You people need to get your act together.

ps. arria told me she wont vote for MT in the SC because of his work on the commerce commission.. ..............and he doesnt have the best interest of CDS in mind.. what a baffoone... he simply took time out of his day to hold meetings and take notes.. we have our business that make our money out of CDS.. the ones we have in CDS we did as a favor to you jerks... so you have the traffic.. they take business away and simply compete with our other shops..

if that is arrias reason for not wanting him in the SC............ she is a total moron.. ok .. my opinion..

but it is mine

I will make the following remarks:

- ThePrincessParisi has mentionned what was told during a private discussion, in fact a guided tour of my new house in Locus Amoenus that I have made for her and a third person.
- in my understanding, moron is an insult. Let's consider that I have been publicly insulted in the CDS forum.
- I have given my reasons to vote against the confirmation of MT in the RA meeting. Please, read the transcripts
- The fact that ThePrincessParisi contacts a RA member to talk about this vote that we have to make again for procedural reasons confirms the doubts that I have about the neutrality of MT presence in the SC. A SC member has to get her/his place in this council by herself/himself and without using any kind of lobbying.
- I know MT since a long time. He is my neighbour in CN. I am ready to talk with him personnally. Since this vote in the RA is announced, he could contact me at any time to talk about his motivation.
- Commerce Bill is not the reason why I don't vote for MT confirmation at the SC. I have given this Bill as an example of personal interest in legislation. This legislation is only made for shops where stuffed are for sale and doesn't take in consideration other types of economical activities. It was thought by merchands for merchands. I think that we have to review it and that we have to extend what we consider as economical activity. Anyone who build a great house and is ready to build some for other persons has also an economical activity.
- As I usually trust people, I don't have a transcript of this discussion that I had with ThePrincessParisi and an other person. For this reason and because it was a private conversation, I don't give my assentiment for the publication of the transcript of this conversation, if it exists.
- If MT has only taken inputs from citizen to make the Commerce Bill, I think that we can ask any other person to organize the meeting of Commerce Commission and to prepare a project of charter.

Now to Desmond and Aristides

In my point of view, Aristides' story shows the respect of institution. In heathly democracies, every government has to organize regularly election, with the risk that it can loose this election. The respect of institutions before any other personal or factional consideration is one of the most important condition of democracy.
Do you know why MT would like to go in SC ... ?

Desmond Shang
Passionate Protagonist
Passionate Protagonist

Post by Desmond Shang »

That's the perfect question, Arria.

On a serious note, I'd like to put forth that the SC not be respected as an institution - at least not in current form. It needs to be questioned.

I'd even put forth the suggestion that as a group, the SC hasn't really protected the core ideals I seem to find here: ensuring democratic ideals, nailing down exactly what citizenship means, and who can be one - or at least settling these matters until other processes catch up. It's failed in the important roles: where are the checks and balances? What happened to the judiciary? You can't leave a question like that to executive and legislative branches. The SC has largely failed on all the big things.

I'd trust someone with clear, understood motives - even self-interested motives - over someone with deference to an institution that hasn't exactly brought home the bacon lately. If anything, MT's big outburst recently was directly over democratic process - a core ideal - not in defence of the SC, not the RA, not any of these rather unbalanced bodies that can vote out chancellors on a whim (and do) or vet its own members like an adolescent boy's sekr1t treehouse club. Scientific Council is it? Even the name is goofy.

I'd say, if there is a governing cabal that can step in with near-impunity, based upon personal measures of righteousness and vetting others, then let's just call it what it is.

Arria you are wonderful. Too wonderful, as you are trusting this institution to be far nicer than it actually is. It isn't going to be nice, and isn't hallowed by design as it should be. Don't trust it for a second, for the motives here seem to be whatever the SC's members believe to be 'right for the people'. Shades of theocracy here: an untouchable morals-dispensing body over the elected one. Isn't that just a little bit scary?

I'd take MT's hallowed respect for democratic process - even if ridiculously overdone, over deference to a body like the SC. Had people re-done the election as he suggested - meh, some time wasted, little damage. He's one of the few that dared to speak up for democratic principle when literally everyone was against him. Was he probably wrong? Yeah, even I think it was overbaked. But it proved that he's focused on true democracy and not being one of the cool kids.

Get five such outcasts in the SC and I might start to believe in it.

Aliasi Stonebender
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Aliasi Stonebender »

Heh. I've occasionally entertained the idea of rounding up some citizen signatures and petitioning for the SC m'self. Although I suppose, as one of the 'elder' members of the CDS, two-time Chancellor, several-time RA rep, I hardly count as an 'outcast'. And I've railed against the SC being simulaneously the thing I really dislike about our system, and something I think is a good thing. To which I mean, I think having a 'judicial' branch that is more than strictly legalistic isn't necessarily a bad idea, but the WAY it was implemented bugs the hell out of me, and certainly some of the decisions... even when I agree with them.

Which is why I've shrugged it off and just take my little monthly stipend for holding on to the content backups instead, these days.

Member of the Scientific Council and board moderator.
mtlundquist
Casual contributor
Casual contributor

Post by mtlundquist »

1) What is the proper role of the Scientific Council in our democracy?

Its governmental role is to interpret and enforce the constitution. Its service roll is to resolve citizen disputes and moderate user forums and events.

2) How is the role of a member of the SC different from the role of member of the RA?

A RA member is an elected official selected by citizen votes for factions. RA members typically design , debate and vote on legislation.
A SC professors are chosen at the recommendation of current (SC) members based on demonstrated skill and desire to uphold the constitution without bias. SC members interpret and uphold the constitution.

3) What qualities should we look for in a member of the SC, and how do you possess those qualities?
The three qualities specified by the existing SC are
1) A diversity of opinions
My role as an RA member has demonstrated this

2) Members who can think
Again my work in the RA has demonstrated this, together with a set of reasoned posts in the forums on a number of topics

3) Level heads.

In RL I'm a senior manager in government service. I manage, at times, over 100 staff running a complex IT infrastructure environment for an organisation of 18,000 staff. I have chaired internal meetings and appeal hearings, where I have had to interpret law and internal policies and procedures.

4) Shortly after the last election, you asked the SC to order an entirely new election. Please explain why this action would not have been inappropriately "activist" of the SC.

There was a question over the type of count method used and a great deal of confusion from a number of people involved with that process as to how the count was/should be made. Given the confusion and the effect that the two methods would have on the election results i.e. two different results it seemed more aligned with democratic principles that the election be set aside and a new election ordered following clarification of the counting method. The election result may well have been exactly the same as the method chosen by the SC (in reality) but the method of getting to it would have been beyond reproach. Therefore I fell in that circumstance it wouls not have been inappropriately activist.

by Dnate Mars on Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:44 pm
I am glad that this matter has been resolved the way it has. MT will get to defend himself now. However, not everyone may know who MT is, I for one think he should post and take questions from the citizens. With SLCC and RL going on, not everyone can make it to the RA meeting. Perhaps he would like to post here and take questions. MT if you would like, could you tell us why you want to be part of the SC?

I did not directly seek nomination to the SC, in fact I was surprised to learn of my nomination. That said I do believe I can make an effective contribution and do have the ability to interpret the constitution and uphold it.

by Arria Perreault on Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:21 pm
MT, I have a question for you:

In the last RA meeting, I have told the story of Aristides the Just, a politician man in Athens in Antiquity. This man was going to be bannished at the Assembly by ostracism. He was at the Assembly which was voting his own banishment. Poeple had to write the name of the person they would like to bannish. Aristides was sitting near a man who was illeterate. This man asked him to write "Aristides" on his ostracon. Aristides did it. We can probably interpret this story in several ways. In my point of view, it shows someone who is so full of respect for the institution that giving the possibility to a person to vote is more important that his own fate. This is an outstanding comportment, but I personnaly expect that SC members put the respect of laws and institutions much higher than their own interest and the interest of their factions and friends. It can really happen that you will have to take a decision against your own interest or in defavour of your faction or of a friend. Can you publicly declare that you agree with this principle?

If your question, arria, boils down to will I uphold the constitution, then the answer is yes I will. The point of having a number of SC members is to, as noted above, provide a diversity of opinion. The constitution like any law is open to interpretation and its the job of the SC to clarify and rule on those interpretations when questions come up. Again like any law its possible for there to be disagreement even within the SC asto the interpretation. The fact that there are a number of Sc members should help balance any discussion and augument. At the end of the day when a decision is made collectively by the SC it is the responsibility of all its members to support and uphold that decision whatever their personal views. In the event of a major unreconcilable differenece then a SC member could use the option of resigning their seat rather than be associated with a decision their feel they cannot support. However I would see this happening only in very rare and extreem cases.

Gwyn
However, the Constitution is quite clear that one of the two fundamental criteria for a nomination (not the three new criteria enumerated and repeated by the Dean) implies demonstrated skill in the past — not a "promise do demonstrate skill in the future"! Although it's commendable that any member of the SC promises to "behave as a true SC member ought to behave", the appointment of new members are supposed to be for citizens that already "behave as a SC member" ("demonstrated skills"), not ones that promise to do so in the future.

In the light of this apparent paradox between what the Constitution says, what the new criteria for your appointment are, and what your past behaviour "as a politician" demonstrated to the public (taking into account your pledge to drop that behaviour once appointed), how do you review your own nomination as a member of the SC? How would you, as a SC member, deal with the apparent paradox of nominating a member that does not fulfil one of the criteria established in the Constitution but fulfils all others (including, of course, an unanimous nomination by the SC)?

I believe that the work I have done for CDS both before I was elected to the RAand during the last term demonstrates my commitment to CDS, democracy and the constitution. All the actions I have taken in those capacities have been in accordance with the constitution and I have at times refered to it to confirm this. I believe therefore I have demonstrated skill. I refer also to my comments above about my RL responsibilities which also accord with this.

With regard to your hypthetical about a nomination of 'someone' who does not demonstrate the full skills then I would seek to establish how critical that missing skill was, as a requirement for nomination and allow it to weight my decision accordingly.

I alsonote for the record that the constitution lays out clear guidelines as to the roles of the variuos bodies in agreeing members of the SC
Section 2 - The Scientific Council Body

The SC is comprised of Professors, Chairs, and a single SC Dean. Professors are chosen at the recommendation of current members based on demonstrated skill and desire to uphold the constitution without bias. Chairs are nominated by the Dean and approved by a simple majority vote.
Section 7 - Powers of the RA

In regards to the Philosophic branch:

The RA provides a vote of confidence on candidates to the Philosophic branch. This vote is in regards to their perceived likelihood to uphold the constitution.
Clearly the role of the Sc has already been performed in nominating and unanimously accepting that nomination they agreed the 'demonstrated skill and desire to uphold the constitution without bias. '

The role of the RA is equally clear 'This vote is in regards to their perceived likelihood to uphold the constitution.' So the RA simply has to be assured that I will will be likely to uphold the constitution. I can assure you that I willand can say,catagorically, that there is no time when I haven't upheld the constitution since becoming a citizen of CDS.

Pip Torok: muy impression i that MT is only interested in one decision that the SC made .. and has no other interest (tho I may be wrong)
Arria Perreault: I think that being in the SC supposes a deep knowledge of legislation and some ability to understand our processes
Pip, I'm sorry to have to disagree with you but your statement is not true. I have been involved in many aspects of CDS, the constitution and legislation as my record in the RA shows.

Arria Perreault: SC members must be also quiet neutral and see thing with the point of view of legislation
Gwyneth Llewelyn: In my personal case, I view candidates to the SC as being people who have repeatedly made publicly a good job of explaining legal issues (either on forums, or on meetings). That requires a thorough knowledge of the legal system and the Constitution, which is not easy to acquire ? that's why SC members are special.
Gwyneth Llewelyn: To be honest, the only times I saw MT raising questions about the Constitution,
Gwyneth Llewelyn: it was to distort them to favour his argumentation.
Jamie Palisades raises his eyebrow
I disagree with you on this Arria and point to my record.

Gwyneth Llewelyn: So I second Arria's opinion ? the ability to pronounce comments on the Constitution ought not to be used as a personal advantage, and through that, earn a seat at the SC:...
Gwyneth Llewelyn: I also fear that the reason for getting MT in the SC is to make it a body that represents all factions equally. Well, that idea is commendable, of course, and I applaud it; but there are certainly more people in the CDS that would be able to represent their faction at the SC (if, allegedly, that was the reason)
I was nominated by Dnate a member of DPU which I feel deals with the question raised.

Moon Adamant: from reading our constitution, i read that SC members are 'expected to hold the constitution'
Arria Perreault: I don't think we have to choose people only because they have a good will. Being member of the SC requests an ability to be neutral, wise and to work for general interest. I don't see even myself as eligible for SC.
Moon Adamant: thus, i ask all RA members here present: do you believe that this candidate has the ability to attain this very clear qualification?

please see above

Patroklus Murakami: just a couple of observations - first of all my recollection of MTs performance on the RA differs from jamie
Patroklus Murakami: but MT is not here to defend himsefl so i won't say anthing more than that
Patroklus Murakami: the key question is 'is this a suitable candidate for the SC, able to uphold and defend the constituion?'

Please see above

Pip Torok: my recollection of "that meeting" indicates to me that MT preferrefd bluster to reasoned argument ... plus the fact that if someones does not turn to this meeting
Pip Torok: he has recourse to other means of saying
Pip Torok: that he will not turn up
Pip Torok: that being so he has not shown
Pip Torok: that he "answers moons criterion"
Pip Torok: (end)

Please see above and also note Justices apology as to meeting date confusion.

Justice Soothsayer: I wanted to ask MT his opinion about the proper role of the SC in our democracy, but he is now here to respond.
So I will have to rely on his actions as an RA member and his writings on the forums.
I don't think he has exhibited the kind of temperment we need on the SC.
So I'll vote no when we take a vote.
Justice Soothsayer: *not

Arria Perreault: I will tell you the story of Aristides, politician in Athens. A vote was organize to bannish him for 10 years (ostracism). He was sitting next to an man who did not know write letters. This man did not know his face too. He asked him to write "Aristidites" on his piece of ceramic. Aristides did it, because he did respect the instituions first before his own interest of destiny.

Danton Sideways: I wanted to comment on Claude's point 3
Danton Sideways: I've always seen MT keep his temper
Danton Sideways: but he is perceived to speak for The PRincess
Danton Sideways: who fails to keep heres
Danton Sideways: *hers
Danton Sideways: That's it

I can assure Danton that ThePrincess is very capable of speaking for herself. I am not her mouthpiece in anyway and have my own clear view of things. Indeed if Danton were party to the discussions between myself and ThePrincess he would see that we do not always see eye to eye.

"It is enough that the people know there was an election. The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes decide everything." Joseph Stalin
"It's not the voting that's democracy; it's the counting" Stoppard

Return to “General Discussion”