A new era begins!

Here you might discuss basically everything.

Moderator: SC Moderators

Rose Springvale
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

A new era begins!

Post by Rose Springvale »

On the evening of July 22, Al Andalus and CDS became one continent. There is still work to be done, particularly on the library sim of Al Garnata, but you can get a feeling for how spectacular the sims work together. Just wait 'til the map updates!

Thanks to all the people who spent time with me today as we watched and waited on the borders of Colonia Nova for the sims to move. Thanks especially to Satir DeCuir, who gave the same care and tireless energy to the connection of the sims as she did to the design and construction of Al Andalus. I think you'll all be proud of how beautiful it is.

And humble gratitude to our Chancellor, Jamie Palisades, who spent more time than any of you will ever know working out the kinks of this deal, and understanding both projects enough to know that this was not only possible, but desirable. And for the fortitude to keep going even when attacked mercilessly from all sides, (rose adds sheepishly, "including me!") This deal could not have happened without you.

We'll start celebrating with Joaquin Gustav's regular show on Friday night at 8 pm, in the Al Zahra theater, with a more formal celebration when the new term begins.

Jamie can update the RA on the details of the finances,the projects, etc. in due course. Tonight, we rest.

I hope you all are as thrilled as I am!

Sonja Strom
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Re: A new era begins!

Post by Sonja Strom »

Welcome to all Al Andalus residents in the CDS :!:

Jamie Palisades
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Re: A new era begins (CDS-Al Andalus)

Post by Jamie Palisades »

/me grins and stares at the horizon, at a 5 year old collective accomplishment that finally exceeds maximum draw distance. Thanks for the kind words. As Rose said, more details coming. For now, the view speaks for itself.

cds-aa-vista-7-lowpixel.png
cds-aa-vista-7-lowpixel.png (40.01 KiB) Viewed 1809 times
cds-aa-vista-3-lowpixel.png
cds-aa-vista-3-lowpixel.png (37.37 KiB) Viewed 1809 times
== My Second Life home is CDS. Retired after three terms
== as chancellor of the oldest self-governing sims in SL.
Ranma Tardis

shakes head

Post by Ranma Tardis »

I congratulate the CDS in changing the concept of Neaultenburg. It was suppose to be a mountain republic in the German Alps and now it reminds me of a theme park called Busch Gardens in Virginia. It has a bit of everything and thus water down the different components. It is a very sad day for me seeing what became of Neaultenburg sit along on top of the hill forsaken by those who hijacked the dream of Kendra and Ulrika. I do not blame the current rulers of anything. They just took advantage of opportunities as they presented them selves. I see "democracy" in second life as nothing more than mob rule. There are no protections for the minority and their views. Perhaps some of those who were forced out, ran out or just gave up would still be with the projekt. Yucking it up about how one did this is not going to make you any friends. I look around the Beer Garden and look out over an empty CDS. There is never a lot of people in the sims. I wonder how many of the resident accounts are simply alts. Each one having a vote and it would be so easy to conceal a master puppeteer.
I have been working on starting a new sim using open space called the Peoples Republic of Neaultenburg. Kendra and me have that in common, I have never used second life as a money making vessal. My sim will not look like the current neuf but like the orgional concept in Anzere. It is going to be a sim that is very different than second life sims. If anyone has any pics of the the Neaultenburg Projekt I will be very appreciative or if any want to donate any buildings. I have some of Kendras things but not a lot. If need be it can all be recreated. It is going to be a tribute to Kendra.
Again congrats on seeing that your vision come true.

Gwyneth Llewelyn
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Gwyneth Llewelyn »

Hoorah! Congratulations to all involved in the process, and welcome Al Andaluz residents — now we should simply call you CDS citizens in an extended CDS, of course!

"I'm not building a game. I'm building a new country."
  -- Philip "Linden" Rosedale, interview to Wired, 2004-05-08

PGP Fingerprint: CE8A 6006 B611 850F 1275 72BA D93E AA3D C4B3 E1CB

Ranma Tardis

Post by Ranma Tardis »

I give my congrats to the core of the cds government. It takes a lot of work to keep a group of people tougher. My ranma prediction is that neu, alpine and the monastery will be history and soon. The med theme is going to burry them. Well good luck and sayonara. It was fun while it lasted but not being able to support the majority I had no use to the community. I hate pointless fights so left.

Please send me any pics or maps. did the orgional town have the same layout?

Good luck to you in the CDS and the road you followed. Those you forced out have to find our own way. Look at it this way you are not a true community like in rl but a group of people with simular intrests unbending to the will of the minority.

Sayonara

Fueston Ranma Tardis
Peoples Republic of Neualtenburg

Cindy Ecksol
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Post by Cindy Ecksol »

Ranma, I'm relatively new to CDS and may not understand all the context here. But I'm scratching my head over your post, wondering how you can leave the community and then mourn the fact that your absence means that your point of view has fewer supporters and that other ideas are currently in the ascendant.

In a democracy we all accept the fact that there will be times when we are in the minority. But being in the minority is not a signal that our ideas have no value. Instead it might be taken as an opportunity to reasses our ideas, continue to develop them, and work to get others excited about them. I'm hoping that during the upcoming term we'll be building another sim from scratch, and I think it's fairly likely that sim will be in the Neualtenberg cluster. So if you have ideas along those lines, I'd encourage you (or anyone else for that matter) to start thinking about what that sim might be like. Key to that process will be involvement in the Guild's GMP workgroup. They have a piece of work first to update the plan to reflect changes of the last term, and then to look at and communicate ideas for future development. There's going to be some vigorous debate and eventually Guild will make some recommendations. But the point is that a variety of ideas and opinions are desireable, so if you have some, exercise your option to rejoin the community and join the party.

Cindy

Ranma Tardis

open letter to the CDS community

Post by Ranma Tardis »

Every time I have been posting it has come out so wrong. I admire the CDS government for all of the things they have been able to accomplish :) It has to be up there with Caledon for the quality of the sims, building thinking, etc. This is not lip service! Instead of concentrating on the negative should concentrate on the positives. As in real life it seems the fate of a democratic republic to splinter by faction. Second life speeds up this process and I find it amazing the CDS is still around as a government. The government is too complex for me and instead of making things straight forward it gets more complex. If there was a single factor to my leaving this is the reason but enough of my negative rambling which is so well known. There are so many good thing with the CDS and a lot more of them than the negative. I am watching the CDS project with considerable interest.
Of moderate interest I have directed new people to the CDS since they had an interest in democracy, As far as I know there is no other in Second Life. I say one thing in the forums and the exact opposite in private. I can not explain why this happens. I wish continued good fortune to the CDS and its people.
Kind Regards
Ranma Tardis

Soro Dagostino
Sadly departed
Sadly departed

Post by Soro Dagostino »

A hearty welcome to the folk that are now CDS Citizens, living in AA. I am glad it is happening.

Soro . . .

Bottle Washer
CDS SC
Lilith Ivory
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Lilith Ivory »

Welcome to all new CDS residents :D
I took some pics from the Sim-merging and posted them in the CDS-flikr pool. Please feel free to download in case you need them.
http://www.flickr.com/groups/_cds/pool/

"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."
Terry Pratchett
Desmond Shang
Passionate Protagonist
Passionate Protagonist

Post by Desmond Shang »

Oh my... I am so sorry I missed all this! Been a tad occupied. This is a Remarkable Thing!

Cindy Ecksol
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Post by Cindy Ecksol »

I love it when Desmond starts capitalizing things! Just sounds SOOOO British!

Cindy

Return to “General Discussion”