We need to talk

Here you might discuss basically everything.

Moderator: SC Moderators

Patroklus Murakami
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

We need to talk

Post by Patroklus Murakami »

I think we both know it isn't working. It's not that I don't love you, it's just that I'm not *in* love with you any more. It's not you, it's me. But neither of us are very happy and I think we should talk.

We were so excited a year ago when we got together. We had so much in common - both smart, liberal, we had so many common interests and even a few friends together. I guess we should have looked at each other a bit more carefully and seen some of the differences but love is blind, eh? I know you hate the way we sort out our disputes in my family. Look, it's a cultural thing. We like to get it all out in the open, shout at each other a bit and then, when it's all over we know where we stand. We have tried to be a bit better for your sake, we don't call each other quite so many names as we used to! But, I know you still hate it when you get drawn into that. You guys do things differently. I know you think your way is better but, guess what, our way has worked for us and we don't want to fundamentally change. Neither do you. I think that's really where the problem lies. Both of us are a bit stubborn, believe we are right and are just not prepared to compromise on some fundamentals.

We said we would give living together a year before deciding whether to make this permanent. I think it's clear neither of us is ready for that. There's just too much friction, misunderstanding and suspicion for that to really work. But does it all to have end badly if we don't stay together exactly as we planned? I'd like to stay friends. We really do have a lot in common and we complement each other so well. Maybe we don't need to live together but we could live side by side. Maybe we don't need a joint bank account but we could pool our funds when it makes sense (I know, I'm a bit of a tightwad but, when you come from a family like mine 'saving for a rainy day' is just ingrained! I know we have argued over money but, I enjoyed the parties too and I want them to continue... provide we can afford them. Sorry, sorry, I wasn't trying to score points). We can go our separate ways for the most part and run our lives the way we want to - the way we don't want to compromise on - and just get together for the good stuff, the stuff that brought us together in the first place.

I'd hate for this to end badly but we both know we can't go on like this. Let's try to find a good way forward.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
I hope this is seen for what it is, a light-hearted attempt to get us all to think a bit laterally about the big issue facing our community - the merger. It really does feel to me like a dysfunctional relationship, hence the parody above. The intention is that an analogy might help us to look at the issues a bit differently.

Does it have to be merger or bust? Could it be merger or something else? It's clear there are some things neither the former CDS nor Al Andalus want to change about themselves. The main thing is our respective political cultures - they are incompatible, fiercely defended and neither one is able to 'absorb' the other. A lot of people don't want the CDS structures and/or representative democracy; a lot of other people don't want to abandon them in favour of AAs 'way'. So, let's think about other ways we could be together in a looser association where each community gets to be true to itself. I think that might have a chance of working, this merger clearly isn't.

Honi soit qui mal y pense
Kaseido_Quandry
Seasoned debater
Seasoned debater

Re: We need to talk

Post by Kaseido_Quandry »

So I wake up in the middle of the night, sneezing uncontrollably, but with (of all things) an image of life after the merger debate. And when I finally decide, yes, it's worth getting out of bed to share it, I find Pat's already there (and no I will *not* extend his metaphor! :D )

I think Pat's right (and I'll deny writing that tomorrow, and blame the sinus drugs :P ): both cultures, AA and CDS, are valuable, and deeply valued, as they are. Both deserve to grow and continue in their own ways, as experiments and as passionately supported and defended communities. And yet, the interest in, shall we say, convivencia between the two, is strong, and broad, and sincere.

Merger doesn't do justice to the integrity of CDS or of AA, but splitting acrimoniously is in no one's interest, and would shame the ideals both share. What, then, would the mechanics of an association of the two discrete communities look like?

I'd like to suggest, as a set of discussion points, the following:

• Termination of the merger agreement at the earliest opportunity. The easiest way to do this pursuant to the agreement would seem to be by action of the AA EO.

• Continued co-location of the communities, free and open transit between them. Al-Garnata could serve as site for joint events and gatherings of both communities.

• Separation of political and financial affairs.

• Recognition, and encouragement, of dual citizenship/membership/affiliation.

• A Committee of Association to meet monthly to formulate plans for, and manage, joint actions, including but not limited to social, cultural and educational events. The Committee could consist of two ex officio members from each community, say the CDS Chancellor and PIO (or equivalent designee of the Chancellor, with current experience in executing events) and the AA EO and PIO (or equivalent designee of the Chancellor, with current experience in executing events). If there's a desire for symbolism, they might elect a fifth person as figurehead president or somesuch.

The complicated bit, of course, is the upcoming election. If the merger agreement is terminated before the election, probably the easiest solution is for those candidates who aren't citizens of CDS-exclusive-of-AA to withdraw their candidacies, and whoever's left, assuming there are fewer than 13, will comprise the RA for the next session.

In the alternative, another set of census results could be certified, and the RA size adjusted accordingly, prior to the election. I see a lot of advantages to a smaller RA for the next term: it may well be worth the extra work dumped on the SC and the RA to make those adjustments on short notice.

Marriage isn't a one size fits all solution, and neither of us thinks it the best for us right now. But it'd be a shame to throw out all the monogrammed towels...

Rose Springvale
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Rose Springvale »

While i'm very tempted to continue Pat's metaphor, i'm not much of one for light hearted games when it comes to the future of our community. I am not going to divide up CDS and AA because that misses the entire point of the struggles of the last two years. What i am going to say is that i do not believe that Pat speaks for the citizens of CDS. Maybe a handful who were never excited about the potential of this merger in the first place. But the term of the RA in which the merger was adopted was interesting. The PEOPLE of CDS knew this was on the table. The PEOPLE of CDS elected an overwhelming majority of candidates who supported it. Pat was not one of those representatives. The other outspoken member of that faction who has also thrown up roadblocks to the completion of the merger is Gwyneth. Please review the RA transcripts from May 17 and May 30, 2009. Gwyneth in fact raised concerns at May 17 meeting. The issues encountered now are the same ones raised then. Gwyneth did not come to the May 30 meeting, nor did she use her right to 7 day vote. Yet she insists she supported the merger.

Despite all the words and all the rhetoric of these forums, the people of CDS voted in favor of representatives who wanted the merger. I am not an "autocrat" as some want to paint me as. So i will not, as Kas suggests, terminate this agreement prior to the CDS election. I think the number and quality of new people running for the CDS RA is a message that CDS DOES want change, that methods that are so dear to Pat and others do NOT represent the wishes of the CDS community. I believe the people deserve the chance to tell him so.

Many many people in CDS and AA have put in a lot of work to make this merger a success. It wasn't presented as a perfect union. That's why specific provisions were presented in the agreement. That's why it's so frustrating to see those specific provisions ignored.

As a candidate, I want to engage in debate about issues, not rhetoric. I won't supplant the democratic process by ignoring the many, many people who disagree with Pat.

You want to talk about the budget? let's talk. But let's remember when we do that we are talking about an 11 sim budget, not just the AA sims. We've always operated on a system that has had unequal support of public assets. So why do we suddenly divide up the sims to say AA spends too much? Events? You want to take shots at AA for having a weekly singer who costs 5,000 L. But that is the ONLY event in CDS on a regular basis.
I will go back and get the budget Jamie and I proposed last term and show you specifically why that one event is not overreaching. And i'm willing to talk about all the other issues that CDS is facing, without this elephant of the merger in the room. But right now, I'm going to work.

Arias Ahren
Passionate Protagonist
Passionate Protagonist

Post by Arias Ahren »

Common kitchen, dinning, and daytime living areas, separate bedrooms. Some still copulate with clothes on, least they be exposed. What a breath of fresh air for you three to come forward like this. Perhaps we are finally getting somewhere.

Gwyneth Llewelyn
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Gwyneth Llewelyn »

Kas, thank you very, very much for your post here. I'm personally very, very glad to see your analysis, free from drama, and focus totally on a viable solution instead. That's really comforting to see (or read!).

And I couldn't agree more. I believe that both communities agree on something fundamental: we want to stick together "somehow". But "marriage" — under the "merger" banner — is definitely not going to work out. Your own solution fits like a glove in pretty much with what the CSDF has in mind (yes, I know, it's the Faction from Hell, we're the rascals, and so forth...). So I will totally and unconditionally subscribe your suggestion.

I would probably just add two or three items to your list... like "common promotion tools", much in the sense that the United Sailing Sims provide. The USS is just an overarching "name" for what in actuality are five different and independent communities, but which share the same landmass (or should I say "ocean", as they are, in fact, designed to have as many opportunities for sailing as possible? :) ). This means they have independent blogs, sites, and so forth, but there is an online presence showing off all communities under a common name. Just look at their site and see how well this is presented as a "common" concept. But all communities continue to be fully independent and autonomous: they just collaborate to do common promotion.

I would suggest to do the same. The Committee you suggest would also have the task to assemble all those events and activities and promote them jointly under a common "banner". It might even have a budget to do that. And I would gladly see this Committee (I prefer the name "Council" ;) ) to be open to further communities. If the collaboration between communities is much looser than the current "merger" model, we might start approaching other similarly-minded communities (Jon's Cedar Island comes to mind, for instance) and bring them under a simple agreement of mutual collaboration and co-operation, without losing any autonomy whatsoever.

I also agree that we have these complications to deal with: the June RA elections, and what happens if more than half the votes (namely the AA votes) who elected representatives are simply not there any longer, when the ratification (or not) of the merger fails on July. From the CDS' perspective, it would very likely mean new elections.

So I propose that we discuss this at the next Town Hall meeting on Sunday, and fleshen out the proposal. In any case, Kas, your suggestion will gather immediate political support of the CSDF :) and hopefully of many other interest groups, both in the "old CDS" sims and among the AA citizens.

"I'm not building a game. I'm building a new country."
  -- Philip "Linden" Rosedale, interview to Wired, 2004-05-08

PGP Fingerprint: CE8A 6006 B611 850F 1275 72BA D93E AA3D C4B3 E1CB

Gwyneth Llewelyn
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Just a tiny detail that I feel it's important: in the past, the CDS made several mistakes. If there is something that we are famous for, is to publicly admit those mistakes (when a former decision is found to be unpopular and against the majority of citizen's wishes), step back, revert the process, and try again with a solution that is more peacefully accepted. I'm not ashamed to publicly say that I was wrong or that I made mistakes. I'm not perfect and never claimed to be so. Aye, I admit I was totally pro-merger a year ago, and quite enthusiastic about it. But now I have to see ahead after a year of working together: it's clear that there will always be fundamental differences between both communities, and that a "common management" is just a convenient illusion that we stick to because a few of us believe (or believed) to be a good idea.

But let's listen to the citizens a bit. Except for a few vocal ones, the majority is unhappy about the current model and feel frustrated about it. I feel frustrated about it myself; I thought the merger was about learning things together: AA would learn about representative democracy, the CDS would learn about how to manage a much tighter community with lots of activities, events, gatherings, and volunteering. This is not happening: most (not all!) AA citizens are clearly unhappy about representative democracy and have voiced the long list of reasons why it doesn't work for them, since they have what they feel to be a much better system. CDS citizens, on the other hand, naturally wish and enjoy for more events and communal activities, but raise the concern of the costs. The list goes on and on. Just the notion that there is a list, after almost a year of discussion, which we can't sort out, shows that something is fundamentally wrong in the whole approach. But it took all this time to "live together" and see why it doesn't work... we couldn't have predicted the reactions a year ago.

So I much rather like Kas' approach. Let's not flog a dead horse; let's work on a new solution instead. Who cares if we were wrong a year ago? We will make mistakes in the future again, too. Far worse than admitting to mistakes is to refuse to fix them.

solomon mosely
Seasoned debater
Seasoned debater

Post by solomon mosely »

pat, you're as good a comedian as a politician.

i suggest you quit both.

your accuracy was as sharp as your.....wit? no, well yes that, but no, as sharp as your vision. because that scene you described has very little to do with the reality. i will admit though, it looks exactly like the the scenario you keep saying is there and have been trying to push on everyone.

i applaud your consistency that and your repetition are the key to any good brainwashing, training, marketing or political campaigns.

i think its gross, again. AA spent over a year in talks about politics. government, themselves, and the CDS. They knew all about us. in fact, i bet they knew all about the rascals and garbage on the forums and wasted time and thought they could do something to change that and bring something more productive to CDS. i'll even double down on the fact that you expect they believe that too, which is why you want them gone so badly. you know very well that it's your style of leadership that people want changed.

I think this has all been more personal for you and maybe others than it has been about doing the best thing for all. was that satire a page from a similar story, once told to you? i'm sorry for that, but dont take it out on the CDS, AA, or especially Rose.

what have you done to explore ways to turn the "problem" ( you seem to believe exists) of AA into an asset? what have you done to discover the ways a non-profit entity as culturally rich and relevant in a virtual world as AA is, could be beneficial to CDS and its vision? have you looked into it's ability to fund raise to maybe offset the costs you say are sooo astronomical? show us your studies into this.

i am tempted to point out your old-paradigm style of leadership that just cuts away things it can't understand, that don't "look" right on paper and the bottom line, and how short sighted and narrow minded and obsolete that has been found to be, but i frankly don't think you're even that much of a leader. i think this is more personal for you than anything else. and yes, i know that's exactly what i'm suggesting be done with you, but there really are times to chisel away some rough and unsightly chunks when sculpting a beautiful piece of art, but i prefer to start with one or a few people, not a whole nation.
So perhaps i was wrong earlier, you may be a great politician, but the kind the american people had not voted for twice, and led them to choose obama.

i can't for the life of me figure out why you, and a few others think its perfectly ok to work against and demolish what our communities have collectively spent years working on! pat, your cheap, fear-mongering, xenophobic bullshit is just the reason i'm entering the RA race. i firmly believe people like you, with your methods, are toxic to democracy and a major part of what drives most people away from participating in government. CDS and AA deserve better.

Soro Dagostino
Sadly departed
Sadly departed

Post by Soro Dagostino »

Word!! +1000

Bottle Washer
CDS SC
solomon mosely
Seasoned debater
Seasoned debater

Post by solomon mosely »

no kidding it hasn't worked gwen, this RA hasn't done anything to try. people are frustrated because the "CDS" government hasn't been "leading". what has the chancellor done to organize her web of PIOs to organize and manage public events? to sell more land? to develop the next project in the GMP?
what has the RA done to do anything of value for the communities this past term? maybe people in AA are frustrated with CDS because of the way its "leaders" lead. which does not mean that we shoo them away, but that its time reform our leadership to actually do its job.

and back to a past point, which may or may not be relevant.
when at a town hall a while back, i was "corrected" by you gwen, when i said arria got her monastery sim and should stop ranting about how no one listened to her and supported her projects, which i believe was in reference to why we (CDS, referenced as a separate entity, not as a whole) were supporting AA events.
i pointed out that cds bought the whole sim for her project, but i was told "no, she paid for it". lie. wrong, you lied to me and everyone at the meeting gwen. cds did purchase the sim, arria paid for 4 months of tier.

so i guess that means arria and csdf got what they wanted, so its time to chuck the other project that serves so many others and may compete with the monastery as the cultural hub of cds.

pat, aren't you csdf? gwen?

just go away. leave the rest of us to move on with actually running a diverse, creative, and relevant community that really does reflect the people, not the childish, ego-driven agendas of a few bitter machiavellians.

Sudane Erato
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Sudane Erato »

solomon mosely wrote:

i pointed out that cds bought the whole sim for her project, but i was told "no, she paid for it". lie. wrong, you lied to me and everyone at the meeting gwen. cds did purchase the sim, arria paid for 4 months of tier.

Arria gave back to the CDS, for resale, the original parcel of the Monastery in AM. In addition, she paid the 4 months of tier to ensure that the CDS would have the time to sell the other parcels on the new sim. Between the resale of the old Monastery parcel and the sale of the new Monastery parcels, at all times having tier paid by Arria's group, the CDS gained the purchase price of the new Monastery sim, and had the tier paid while the time was taken to sell them. The net result was that the CDS spent no money on the sim.

Sudane..........................

*** Confirmed Grump ***
Profile: http://bit.ly/p9ASqg
Robert Walpole
Seasoned debater
Seasoned debater

Post by Robert Walpole »

Solomon,

These are the people who over the past 5 years have bullied, insulted, abused, and driven away wave after wave of dedicated CDS citizens who saw CDS as more than a simple debating shop where some old-timers could parachute in when they were not working on their own in-world business projects or rl activities for the unique purpose to play politics and stay in control of their personal, gated community. This worked very well as long as the number of citizens was small, absenteism from votes high, elections were party-based and they got to nominate whoever they wanted to sit in the RA and SC. One way or the other, they got to run the place from the SC, RA and Treasury and keep things pretty much exactly the way they wanted.

Now, however, with a dramatic increase in the number of citizens since the merger and, after seeing the impressively diverse list of candidates for the RA, our valiant Guardians of the Old Order have suddenly realised they are about to suffer a historic defeat and lose badly the next elections and with it, control of the RA and possibly the SC. So they are running scared. Their only way out is to get rid of these droves of inconvenient citizens, reduce the number of RA seats to what it used to be, go back to a parties-dominated electoral system where they can appoint whoever they want to the RA, and thus ensure they maintain control in the future, the way they have in the past, of THEIR CDS. It really is childishly transparent. And yes, they are (mostly) doctrinaire socialists who believe in strict representative democracy, even in a community of 100 or so citizens, which really means that between elections, all decision-making power belongs to them. As to cultural and political diversity - they're all in favour of course! - as long as they conform strictly to their own cherished norms, values and ways of doing things. They lost the argument in real life - they cannot stomach it losing it again, here: the last, virtual refuge of their broken, dystopian dreams....

It's obvious, really. They like their gated community as it is. Don't you understand? It's THEIR game! Play by THEIR rules or get out! How can you be so dense???

Michel

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? (Juvenal)
'I'm watching the watchers, Jerry!' (Kramer)
solomon mosely
Seasoned debater
Seasoned debater

Post by solomon mosely »

so, she gave a parcel in return for a sim, paid the tier on land she pushed everyone to get for her pet project, and cds sold parcels they owned anyway.

Sudane Erato
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Sudane Erato »

solomon mosely wrote:

so, she gave a parcel in return for a sim, paid the tier on land she pushed everyone to get for her pet project, and cds sold parcels they owned anyway.

Exactly, and the community was benefited financially. I think you might reconsider the statement that Gwyn lied to anyone about this, since it was Arria who was out the money, not the community.

Sudane................

*** Confirmed Grump ***
Profile: http://bit.ly/p9ASqg
Gwyneth Llewelyn
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Solomon, I read in your words that the whole intention for AA to join the merger was to get rid of "people like Pat" or myself, and let me quote some interesting remarks you did, deliberately out of context, where they reveal pretty much what you're aiming at:

"AA [...] They knew all about us.". At the light of the recent discussions, I would say that there was quite a lot they didn't know about the CDS, or they wouldn't have approved the merger. At least Ashcroft and Carolyn were always consistent in what they thought about the CDS.

"they knew all about the rascals and garbage on the forums". We call that "freedom of expression", Solomon. You call it "garbage".

"they [...] thought they could do something to change that and bring something more productive to CDS". Which I read: "nonono you guys at the CDS have been doing everything wrong in your 6-old-profitable-community, let's change all that". Hmm. But it seems clear that many AA citizens actually agree with you. Apparently the common notion is that the CDS is rotten to the core, does not work, and is a failure in all aspects, and the AA is seen as the "saviour" which would "redeem" the nasty, naughty CDSers and "save" them. Well, I couldn't disagree more with you on this, Solomon. Bad or good, the CDS has endured almost 6 years of profitability, with a representative democracy (not a tyranny), and shows relatively good numbers, even if growth is small. So people are nasty on the forums? That's tough, but that's freedom of expression. The RA is "not productive"? That's tough too: that's why we have an Executive to "be productive". There is a failure to understand the roles of the many institutions of the CDS Government and I admit it might be hard to separate them. The RA is not an executive branch. It doesn't organise events. It doesn't even tell what events are supposed to be organise, nor makes any suggestions. Years ago we have found that the RA is not the best place to deal with the community management of the CDS. It's too slow for that. The RA are no "leaders", they are legislators, which is a quite different story! They pass legislation to allow the Executive to do its work smoothly (and of course it also validates if the Executive is doing a good job or not). There is a whole world of difference between the two approaches. The RA is not supposed to "lead"!

Community management, by contrast, requires swift action, quick decisions, and dealing with a lot of details to get things properly organised. It cannot be left to a body that only meets for 2 hours every 15 days! That's why we gave up pretending that this system worked and abandoned it — long, long ago.

But you can argue that the very notion of an Executive is "relatively recent" and that the CDS did, indeed, work a while under a crippled system. Very true — as said before, the CDS was never afraid of assuming its mistakes and work towards a solution to fix the problems. We did, indeed, before 2007, assign too many tasks to the RA which it couldn't fulfil; mostly the issue was that some legislation was passed, but nobody actually implemented it (or verified if it was correctly implemented or not). So, yes, that was wrong, and we abolished the model as soon as it was found it didn't work — but this means that the "mistakes" have to be publicly discussed, not hidden away from the public. It's harsh to see them publicly exposed, I know, specially when they're exposed in a very emotional way.

But, again, that's one of the pillars of democracy: the ability to fully disagree, in public, with what the government does. We never mandated "politically correct speech" anywhere. Of course some people would prefer more civility; there were even some bills passed in the past to ethically bind RA members to a civil conduct in the sessions. But there is a limit to how far we can go to impose "civility" by stifling "freedom of expression". We can only educate citizens giving an example of civility in speech and actions, we cannot force anyone to conform to a specific standard of behaviour. Groupthink is forbidden in the CDS, in case you failed to notice it :)

"this has all been more personal for you and maybe others than it has been about doing the best thing for all". It's personal in the sense that yes, many of us feel engaged to the CDS. What is the best thing for all? I'm afraid your comment does not address it at all. In the CDS, we believe that the "best thing for all" is what a majority decides to be the "best" thing. And we also believe that what a majority decides one day might be different the next. The "best" is thus to simply allow the citizens to decide what they wish. Self-deluded dreams of grandeur, of self-righteousness, of holier-than-though attitudes of "we know what's best" are good for rhetorics, but, ultimately, in the CDS we put it to the vote. The majority decides.

"what have you done to explore ways to turn the "problem" ( you seem to believe exists) of AA into an asset?" With due respect, Solomon, I think that you might have failed to read what Pat has extensively written in the past year about the subject. To be honest and true, Pat is by far not the only one, and perhaps not even the most vocal one. A lot has been constantly suggested to "turn" the AA into an asset (using your words; I personally dislike the idea of thinking of vibrant community of very engaged and participative citizens as merely an "asset"). Most of those suggestions were indeed implemented — changing the voting system (no more factions), allocating budgets to regional committees instead of planning it centrally at the Executive. Other things the CDS avoided to implement to allow AA citizens to feel more comfortable: open-to-all informal meetings (e.g. Town Hall meetings); avoiding to touch the issue of group citizenship; avoid to re-plan any of the AA sims (and stop discussing that in public!) to make them profitable; staying away from the issue of collecting tier under an unified model. So, yes, these are indeed "ways" to deal with the problem. When it was publicly said that all of the above was not enough, the question, echoed by many, was: "what should we do more?"

At this point, there was silence. Instead, the discussion turned to personal attacks.

"have you looked into it's ability to fund raise to maybe offset the costs you say are sooo astronomical? show us your studies into this." Just read the analysis, Solomon. See how even with studies opinion diverges on the interpretation. Note that the RA can only issue legislation to support the Executive in its actions, but it doesn't "lead" those actions. At most it extracts reports from the Executive — for public perusal — and suggests ways of implementing ideas; but it's up to the Executive to do all, well, executive tasks. This is not just pushing the blame elsewhere, it's just pointing out how the system works! And note that I'm not blaming the Executive, past or current; I sincerely believe that they have done everything they could do (or they would have done more!). Under Jamie's administration, for instance, the majority of the legislation passed by the RA was directly proposed by the Executive — a break from tradition which however the RA accepted well (the current constitution allows any citizen to propose new legislation!), since almost all legislation was to help the transition period to go smoother. So, yes, we have the past records to show exactly what you're asking.

"point out your old-paradigm style of leadership that just cuts away things it can't understand, that don't "look" right on paper and the bottom line, and how short sighted and narrow minded and obsolete that has been found to be, but i frankly don't think you're even that much of a leader" So what exactly do you mean with this sentence, Solomon? What are your implications?

When someone asks in public, repeatedly, both on the forums and in-world, "what can we do?" we get always this kind of mix of rhetorics and personal attacks. We don't get solutions. We can deal with rhetorics; as said, we are all for freedom of expression. But let's hear about solutions, which is the only thing that the RA can actually implement. If you care to name a few concrete solutions — not abstract, vague concepts — we'd all be quite happy to implement them. For months we have been asking for them!

And please remember that Pat is no "leader", he's just an elected representative.

And if there is something that we truly have not implemented as a "solution" is exactly what Kas is proposing now. Everything else that was publicly discussed (and I refer to the short list I've written above) was, indeed, implemented, even if some of those things ran contrary to the CDS's views (a typical example: giving a non-elected official full power to decide over the layout of a sim or sims). These were concrete solutions suggested publicly as a way to help the transition. They were voted and passed.

"why you, and a few others think its perfectly ok to work against and demolish what our communities have collectively spent years working on" How exactly you come to this conclusion totally baffles me! Unless you're referring to something which is hardly obvious.

Pat's support (or my own support) of Kas' proposal is exactly the consequence of looking at what each community, in isolation, have managed to accomplish over the past years. We strongly feel that each community is quite successful under its own model. What we are not convinced is that there is a single governance model that can fit both communities. The changes claimed by many AA citizens would force the CDS to drop representative democracy, limit (to a degree) freedom of expression, and abandon financial prudence. The CDS is not prepared to accept such a radical change of our principles. In contrast, the changes claimed by many CDS citizens would force the AA to drop meritocracy/adhocracy under a benevolent (but autocratic) administration, vent all frustrations in public, and adopt financial prudence (which means that sims would have to be planned for profitability first). This is untolerable to many AA citizens, and they're not prepared to accept that.

I see those positions to be too extreme to be reconciled under a model of "one government, two communities". We adopted, over the past years, all concrete suggestions that were made. Some more radical suggestions weren't made yet, but those are in the minds of many who just use abstract argumentation but don't really wish to be seen as the ones pushing the more radical way. For instance, the suggestion to disband the RA was not made — yet. Nevertheless, the RA is viewed by many as the "source of all evil" and that getting rid of it would be the best course. Some suggestions were openly made to neglect the work of the New Guild, for instance (who, in a sense, is on strike, or as close as to be on strike as possible — refusing to meet under the current political turbulence. I cannot blame them). Some nasty comments were made that the current Executive is not the "best" choice for the citizens, but no concrete explanation (besides some personal attacks) about why it's not the best suggestion weren't publicly discussed, or what an alternative to an Executive would be. At least the SC seemed to be left in peace :) But overall the discussion centres around the governmental institutions of the CDS, and how they are "hindering progress" (for a given value of "progress"). It's clear to me that the unvoiced opinion is that getting rid of the institutions of the CDS is the only way to please AA citizens and relieve them of the nightmares of "living under the merger".

Well, the CDS is not prepared to abolish its own institutions. The alternative is to focus on co-operation as opposed to, well, "annexation". And that's pretty much what Kas is suggesting. I couldn't agree more with her.

As for the rude implication that I have "lied to everyone" please read this thread carefully: http://forums.slcds.info/viewtopic.php? ... ery#p13318 You can see that not only Arria (or rather, Virtus — the group owning the parcels in the Monastery sim) paid for the four months of tier, but that this land was bought from the CDS. See also NL 8-4; the Monastery sim used that existing legislation to be put in place, with a slight difference: the sim was not bought first by a private group and parcels sold by the group to cover the costs, but the other way round: the CDS bought the sim and the group paid the CDS for it. That's what I meant about "having paid for it" :P You can twist my words in any way you like, but in my mind, it's not relevant if LL or the CDS was paid for the sim. I just apologise if I didn't go into excruciatingly fine detail in explaining money transfers :P

Oh, and by the way, ostracism is forbidden in the CDS. Many have often disagreed with this rule, as ostracism suits so well to deal with "unpleasant" people. I can imagine that it's terrible for you to live under an organisation that has freedom of expression and allows people — any people! — to get elected. But that's the way the CDS works: people get voted out of office when the citizens don't believe they're serving their best interests; they're not kicked out of the community, just voted out. There is a whole world of a difference which you seem to fail to grasp. The CDS never claimed to be a "happy family where everybody goes along with each other" (and dissenters are kicked out). Instead, we live together in spite of disagreeing with each other — publicly so. And we allow the citizens to vote on which members should represent them on government.

"pat, your cheap, fear-mongering, xenophobic bullshit is just the reason i'm entering the RA race. i firmly believe people like you, with your methods, are toxic to democracy and a major part of what drives most people away from participating in government. CDS and AA deserve better." And it's exactly because the CDS allows you to publicly criticise Pat and myself using all kinds of arguments (emotional, abstract, vague or otherwise), publicly defend ostracism instead of freedom of expression and demand people to leave (which is specifically forbidden by the Constitution under Article VI - Citizenship, Section 3 — "no citizen shall be deprived of citizenship [...] without trial in accordance with law"), and still be fully allowed to run for elections like any other citizen — nay, even get elected! — that we truly believe that a representative democracy with freedom of expression is a rather good method of self-government. It's ironic that you trust this model as strongly as we all do, but implicitly give the idea you don't :)

Gwyneth Llewelyn
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Robert/Michel, claiming that representative democracy is "socialist", earns you the Prokofy Award :)

Congratulations, I would never believed to hear that written in public :)

I suppose that in your mind a non-socialist government is, what... a benevolent dictatorship? :)

Return to “General Discussion”