NEW Rules for Election Campaigning

Here you might discuss basically everything.

Moderator: SC Moderators

Delia Lake
Dean of the SC
Dean of the SC

NEW Rules for Election Campaigning

Post by Delia Lake »

On 9 May, 2010, the RA voted to approve a Bill detailing new rules for candidates campaigning for election in the CDS. We want to ensure that the voters get the position information they need from candidates in order to make informed decisions when voting for the new RA members. We also want this to be a fair and open election where every candidate has an opportunity to present his or her views to the voters without any candidate having an advantage over any other candidate in reaching the electorate.

Please read these new regulations carefully. There are more activities permitted than had bee for past campaigns. There are also activities that are prohibited, such as using the CDS or AA official group chat or notices to solicit votes (Candidates, do not do this!). Candidates, please remember that voters want to know about you, but that spamming voters by engaging in the activities that are prohibited will most likely cause voters to choose candidates who have not spammed them.

This Bill directs the SC to organise election campaign activities on a non-discriminatory basis, and since the bill passed with less than a week until the polls open on Saturday, 15 May 2010, gave the SC discretion to handle this May 2010 election differently. In accordance with these new campaign rules, the SC is hereby requesting one campaign position notecards from each candidate which we will post and circulate, in batches, before the polls open. Candidates, please give your campaign position notecard to Delia Lake, SC Dean, as soon as possible. If all the candidates would also provide Delia with a photo of themselves that has copy/mod/transfer permissions, the SC will make a sign with a composite of those candidate photos arranged randomly and place those signs in the public information hubs of the CDS sims. To ensure fairness, these photo signs will only be made if every one of the candidates running for office provides a photo.

Election Campaign Rules

Preamble
This bill operates in conjunction with Article IV, Section 4 of the CDS Constitution to clarify what manner of campaigning is consistent with the right to speak and assemble and avoid invasions of privacy or disruptions of the peace during the election campaign.

The following activities are permitted:

Election debates
Public or private meetings
Advertising public meetings by group notice
Person to person IMs
Notecard givers (which require someone to click on them to receive a notecard)
Campaign posters
Campaign newspapers
Advertising on privately owned land
Any internet-based content not pushed at individuals: e.g. candidate/faction websites, tweets
Any non-excessive use of social media directed towards individuals: e.g. Facebook notices

The following activities are not permitted:

Use of CDS or AA official group chat or notices to solicit votes
Dropping unsolicited notecards on people
Shouting in the vicinity of an election booth

The SC will, at minimum, organise the following election campaign activities on a non-discriminatory basis:

Advertising on publicly owned land (with equivalent space given to all candidates)
The SC will solicit two notecards from each candidate and circulate these, in batches, before the polls open. The deadline for receipt of the first will be the deadline for declaring candidacy, the deadline for receipt of the second is 7 days before the polls open. One circulation is to take place shortly after the deadline for declaring candidacy and the second is to take place just before the polls open. The SC also has discretion to handle the May 2010 election differently as candidates are already declared for this election.
An event to 'Meet the Candidates' informally and/or an election debate

Cindy Ecksol
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Re: NEW Rules for Election Campaigning

Post by Cindy Ecksol »

Delia Lake wrote:

On 9 May, 2010, the RA voted to approve a Bill detailing new rules for candidates campaigning for election in the CDS. We want to ensure that the voters get the position information they need from candidates in order to make informed decisions when voting for the new RA members. We also want this to be a fair and open election where every candidate has an opportunity to present his or her views to the voters without any candidate having an advantage over any other candidate in reaching the electorate.

Well, I just returned from my trip and am catching up on all the fun I missed. I was hopeful when I read this...but after working my way through the rest I'm not so sure. Specificially:

Delia Lake wrote:

This Bill directs the SC to organise election campaign activities on a non-discriminatory basis, and since the bill passed with less than a week until the polls open on Saturday, 15 May 2010, gave the SC discretion to handle this May 2010 election differently. In accordance with these new campaign rules, the SC is hereby requesting one campaign position notecards from each candidate which we will post and circulate, in batches, before the polls open. Candidates, please give your campaign position notecard to Delia Lake, SC Dean, as soon as possible. If all the candidates would also provide Delia with a photo of themselves that has copy/mod/transfer permissions, the SC will make a sign with a composite of those candidate photos arranged randomly and place those signs in the public information hubs of the CDS sims. To ensure fairness, these photo signs will only be made if every one of the candidates running for office provides a photo.

Am I the only one who finds the SC involvement in the campaign at this level appalling? Can anyone name any other democratic society that uses the judiciary as a distribution point for campaign materials? What are we THINKING here folks??

Delia Lake wrote:

The following activities are permitted:

Election debates
Public or private meetings
Advertising public meetings by group notice
Person to person IMs
Notecard givers (which require someone to click on them to receive a notecard)
Campaign posters
Campaign newspapers
Advertising on privately owned land
Any internet-based content not pushed at individuals: e.g. candidate/faction websites, tweets
Any non-excessive use of social media directed towards individuals: e.g. Facebook notices

I'm particularly interested in how we candidates can "advertise public meetings by group notice" when we don't have group notice privileges.

Delia Lake wrote:

The following activities are not permitted:

Use of CDS or AA official group chat or notices to solicit votes

Ummm...so who determines what this means? It's already permitted to advertise public meetings...can I only advertise a public meeting for all candidates, not for my own candidacy?

Delia Lake wrote:

The SC will, at minimum, organise the following election campaign activities on a non-discriminatory basis:

Advertising on publicly owned land (with equivalent space given to all candidates)
The SC will solicit two notecards from each candidate and circulate these, in batches, before the polls open. The deadline for receipt of the first will be the deadline for declaring candidacy, the deadline for receipt of the second is 7 days before the polls open. One circulation is to take place shortly after the deadline for declaring candidacy and the second is to take place just before the polls open. The SC also has discretion to handle the May 2010 election differently as candidates are already declared for this election.
An event to 'Meet the Candidates' informally and/or an election debate

As I said, this part gives me chills. Anyone else?

Cindy

Delia Lake
Dean of the SC
Dean of the SC

Post by Delia Lake »

This new process doesn't have to be the one followed for subsequent elections if the next RA proposes and passes a different Constitutional Amendment. It is a far cry better than the Campaigning law that was in effect until the RA passed this bill last Sunday though. http://forums.slcds.info/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2812
Under the former law just about all the campaigning that had become expected in the CDS, such as inworld meet the candidate gatherings, were not legal.

The SC might not be the best place to put these duties, but on the other hand right now the CDS does not have an Elections Organizing and Monitoring Committee. If we were to have one in the future and there were enough volunteers willing to serve, I would hope it would be composed of people who were not themselves going to run for election to the RA. So although we did not ask for this duty and were not even consulted about being tasked with it, the SC may be as good a place as any to do this job at this time. What are the other options? Were the RA tasked with it, they are mostly running for re-election and therefore could be perceived as manipulating the process--even if they did not do so. It could have been assigned to the Executive, but the next RA will elect or re-elect the Chancellor. People in each of those branches could be said to have some personal vested interest in the outcome of the election. No one on the SC is running for election so at least for this election the SC may be the most neutral body for performing these duties.

Cindy Ecksol
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Post by Cindy Ecksol »

Seems to me that the best solution for THIS election is to give all the candidates the ability to post (as some already can, notably muhammedyussif and Pat) group notices and trust that we'll use it wisely. Putting the SC in charge of collecting and distributing position statements just seems very wrong to me. As you say, we voted this in and then the RA didn't get around to organizing to deal with the consequences. But that does not strike me as a reason to turn it all over to the SC.

Time to fish or cut bait. Either we want to be a democracy with all the messiness that entails, or we're willing to allow ourselves to occasionally lapse into authoritarianism just to avoid things being "messy."

Cindy

Sonja Strom
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Sonja Strom »

I have given all of the candidates the ability to send notices to the CDS group, with the one exception of Joaquin Gustav, who is not a member of the CDS group. I have sent an IM to Joaquin asking him if he would like to join the group in order to also have this ability.

Sonja Strom
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Sonja Strom »

I also made a post about this here: http://forums.slcds.info/viewtopic.php? ... 862#p15066

Return to “General Discussion”