Requirements Of Service;

Here you might discuss basically everything.

Moderator: SC Moderators

Han Held
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Requirements Of Service;

Post by Han Held »

On the forum there's been passing mention that serving in our government requires a substantial requirement of time and energy. That it's an avocation for those who aren't necessarily as invested in The Real world as some others.

I have served on three RAs now, looking at serving on a fourth. I think I should comment on that.

First, I am a strong deist, new ager and since reading that post here it's been amusing that the universe has sent folks my way who have ...unbidden... revealed parts of their RL to me.

All of them employed or who serve in their capacities despite very extremely full real life schedules.

Sidelined irl as I am, it has been an eye opener. Probably for the wrong reasons -it should not be a shock to me, or anyone else.

I would make the argument -based on my personal experience, that we draw people to our "experiment" who are the types who want to see and be a part of change; even when it comes to their recreation. It seems as often as not the folks I run into are active in service in real life -as well as here.

I promised to talk about what's needed to serve ...not to ramble aimlessly. Let me get to it:

I won't name names, but I have encountered folks who attended ONE meeting and were out of the loop for their entire term. They were not censured, but what they could do was welcomed. It's horrible to run for election knowing you won't serve and I'd discourage that strongly -but I throw that out to show a very extreme example that the CDS will accommodate your schedule, and the level of involvement you're able to do.

I have flaked on many meetings this term -others as well. We keep going, and I do not believe that the RA has missed a month this term.

If you can communicate, and make meetings when you can -we can work with your Real Life.

In closing I want to point out that the seven-day vote was instituted to give the RA an asynchronous way to vote on measures and it's another tool to use.

As long as you're willing to communicate, serve, keep abreast (read the transcripts) of what is going on and call for a 7 day vote when needed ...we can work with you.

It's not easy -but it's easier than you may think, and not merely the province of those who've been sidelined.

Thank you for reading this,
-Han Held,
RA member, 2015 to current,
25th RA Pro Tempre

---
"I could talk talk talk, talk myself to death
But I believe I would only waste my breath" -Roxy Music "Remake, remodel"

Return to “General Discussion”