My concession, thanks and best wishes...

Here you might discuss basically everything.

Moderator: SC Moderators

Bagheera
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

My concession, thanks and best wishes...

Post by Bagheera »

To those of you who supported me in this last election, I want to say thank you from the bottom of my heart.

It is heartening to me that the ones who have expressed their support for me are some of those closest to the heart of our government and estate management - who know how things work and are in a position to understand and appreciate my contributions.

It has always been my desire to make CDS stronger - for CDS to be able to adapt, survive, and thrive in the face of inevitable change and competition.

Several years ago, while Chancellor, I made some unpopular decisions where I felt CDS needed to confront some uncomfortable situations that were happening on the QT but I did not believe would be sustainable or healthy for CDS in the long term.

These decisions torpedoed my popularity from an initial position of being virtually unanimously supported in the community to, within a matter of months, one who was a target of distrust, scorn and derision.

This was very painful for me - even though I saw it coming - because I believed the cost to myself would be worth it if it made CDS stronger as a whole. Because of what happened then, I know there are still many in CDS who are cautious in regards to me, so I am not surprised at my loss in the current RA election.

In spite of my personal pain back then and my recognition now that I may never gain the full trust of the community nor even enough to win any election where there is a contested seat, I see positive change and growth where I thought it must happen, so - in spite of the cost - I believe it was worth it. There was probably a better way to do it and I am sad for the pain I caused - but I did the best I knew how.

I am grateful to the integrity of Patroklus Mirakami who put his own reputation on the line and confirmed some of the same issues I had been concerned about back then.

I am deeply moved by Lilith who never stopped believing in me and gave me words of encouragement when I felt there was nothing left for me in CDS.

I am also grateful to the generous spirit of Tor, who accepted my apology; and both to him and Rosie who put their trust in me enough to want me back on the estate management team.

Gaius has been openhearted in his respect and friendship.

I treasure the thoughtful deliberations shared with my fellow RA members during this last term - Gaius, Tan, Ranma and Han - and the LUC.

There are others in CDS who are not in government so shall remain unnamed, but to whom I cherish their unwavering friendship.

I wish the best in wisdom and compassion for the new term coming in - for the RA, the Chancellor and CDS as a community.

Usually I Dislike a Cloud Sky
Tonight I Realize That a Cloud Sky
Makes Me Appreciate the Light of the Moon
- impromptu poem composed by Gen'i
as depicted in Yoshitoshi's 100 Aspects of the Moon
Han Held
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Re: My concession, thanks and best wishes...

Post by Han Held »

I'd like to offer my condolences on your loss, and I applaud the graciousness with which you're responding to it. As you can see -those in the know, treasure your knowledge and perspective. As you know, there's no shortage of ways to help and I think that by being both estranged (as you described in your post) and being an elder mentoring figure you are able to offer an outside perspective backed by experience and expertise. You know, but you are not too close and in danger of losing perspective. Personally speaking, I treasure your presence, your posts and our exchanges here and in world.

Many of the people who are at the heart of the CDS are your friends -that's a good thing and something to treasure. You may be distrusted etc by some ...but who your friends are does you credit much, much more so.

I'm glad you're here, I hope you'll continue to be a wise voice calmly offering a differing but grounded perspective for years to come.

---
"I could talk talk talk, talk myself to death
But I believe I would only waste my breath" -Roxy Music "Remake, remodel"
Delia Lake
Dean of the SC
Dean of the SC

Re: My concession, thanks and best wishes...

Post by Delia Lake »

Thank you for serving, Bagheera. Thoughtful, caring volunteer service is the backbone of our CDS.

Return to “General Discussion”