New CDS Portal - Reanimation :)

Here you might discuss basically everything.

Moderator: SC Moderators

Mizou Vavoom
Veteran debater
Veteran debater

New CDS Portal - Reanimation :)

Post by Mizou Vavoom »

Stage 1: Theme + welcome page + redirecting old domain name - done

The first stage of the portal is live under the new domain name https://cdsdemocracy.org
I have redirected the old domain name to the new one, it works for me. Please try it also and let me know of any issues.
Type out http://portal.slcds.info in your browser and see it redirecting itself to https://cdsdemocracy.org

'Egidius, waer bestu bleven, mi lanct na di, gheselle mijn. Du coors die doot, du liets mi tleven. Dat was gheselscap, goet ende fijn.'
Gruuthuuse-handschrift -circa 1400
Han Held
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Re: New CDS Portal - Reanimation :)

Post by Han Held »

1)The code of laws brings up a blank page -I assume you're working on it, though. :)
2)Less importantly, he flickr api gives the following error;

Flickr API error: Invalid API Key (Key has invalid format)

Thanks again -it's a relief to have this fully in our power and control. :)

---
"I could talk talk talk, talk myself to death
But I believe I would only waste my breath" -Roxy Music "Remake, remodel"
Sylvia Tamalyn
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Post by Sylvia Tamalyn »

Yay! *hugs the portal* Thanks for getting on this so quickly, Mizou! It's been surprising to me to find out just how much I need stuff that is tucked away on the portal, so I'm very happy to see it springing to life again. :)

Mizou Vavoom
Veteran debater
Veteran debater

Post by Mizou Vavoom »

Yay!! It is actually all there imported but i need to redo the menus and that will be for tomorrow night after work.
Some stuff didn't import so will need to make sure that all gets added in time.

'Egidius, waer bestu bleven, mi lanct na di, gheselle mijn. Du coors die doot, du liets mi tleven. Dat was gheselscap, goet ende fijn.'
Mizou Vavoom
Veteran debater
Veteran debater

Post by Mizou Vavoom »

Han Held wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:36 pm

1)The code of laws brings up a blank page -I assume you're working on it, though. :)
2)Less importantly, he flickr api gives the following error;

Flickr API error: Invalid API Key (Key has invalid format)

Thanks again -it's a relief to have this fully in our power and control. :)

Flickr key, Rosie implemented that so, will ask where that key is :)
All pages are there but hidden, need to get connected to menus. Have been working on this since i came home now time for zzzzzzz................

Sudane Erato
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Sudane Erato »

Yay!... bravo Mizou!

Sudane................

*** Confirmed Grump ***
Profile: http://bit.ly/p9ASqg
Lilith Ivory
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Lilith Ivory »

I just opened the portal successfully - YAY!
Thank you so much for your hard work Mizou

"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."
Terry Pratchett
Mizou Vavoom
Veteran debater
Veteran debater

Post by Mizou Vavoom »

Lilith Ivory wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:47 am

I just opened the portal successfully - YAY!
Thank you so much for your hard work Mizou

Thank you! ... but it is not quite done, still working on it in the background for some strange reason there are still links to the old portal and to the test site which will slow down the new portal until I have fixed it. Probably another 10 or more hours work, but at least it is there now and anybody who accesses the old portal will be redirected immediately to our new portal https://cdsdemocracy.org
Mizou is very happy :P

Mizou Vavoom
Veteran debater
Veteran debater

Post by Mizou Vavoom »

I have added a Google Translator facility which now appears under the main navigation and at the top of the main text for each page.
Please let me know if you are all happy with this feature which will help us communicate our customs and laws with potential new citizens.

Sylvia Tamalyn
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Post by Sylvia Tamalyn »

I think that is an excellent addition, Mizou. :)

Tanoujin Milestone
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Tanoujin Milestone »

On the one hand it would be nice to have a multilingual page, but when I checked the german version of the code of laws I found out the translator is quite overcharged with vocabulary and grammar, producing a lot of nonsense sentences. I am not sure if we should keep this feature. Sure it is funny, and even sometimes useable in simple cases, but it becomes obvious why professional sites avoid this solution and present manually translated pages instead.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Ian Maclaren
Sylvia Tamalyn
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Post by Sylvia Tamalyn »

If it does not work properly, then maybe it is not such a good addition. I don't speak another language, so was not able to test it as Tan did. I assumed it worked, and liked the idea... in theory.

Mizou Vavoom
Veteran debater
Veteran debater

Post by Mizou Vavoom »

I checked French and Dutch and it works really well, apart from a few small mistakes.
I had one of my students check the Japanese translation and he found it quite good.
My conclusion:
I think it is better to have some translation rather than none and it shows that we make an effort to reach out to other nationalities.
I don't see myself translating all the pages manually in French and Dutch but for the future when I have more time this might be something to work on.
Your thoughts?

Sylvia Tamalyn
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Post by Sylvia Tamalyn »

I will defer to those of you who can actually test the product. I do like the idea, but can't speak as to its accuracy.

I don't think it has to be perfect in order for us to use it. I do think it has to be accurate enough that it doesn't make our website look chaotic. You people who are smarter than I am will have to figure this one out! :lol:

Rosie Gray
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Rosie Gray »

I think it's a really good idea, even if it's not perfect to have the translations. The 'welcome' page and other information might be quite useful to non-English speakers. We could put at the top of the Laws page a disclaimer, saying that due to the laws being auto-translated that they must not be considered as binding in any other language but English, and sorry for the bad translations due to technical language (or something to that effect).

Another option is to choose which languages to translate - something that is possible with the plugin. We could choose languages that seem to translate quite well, and disable the ones that don't.

"Courage, my friend, it's not too late to make the world a better place."
~ Tommy Douglas

Return to “General Discussion”