A Modest Proposal

Here you might discuss basically everything.

Moderator: SC Moderators

Coop
Veteran debater
Veteran debater

Re: A Modest Proposal

Post by Coop »

Jonathan Swift (30 November 1667 – 19 October 1745) wrote a satire piece in 1729 called 'A Modest Proposal'.

He also wrote Gulliver's Travels....

I must have been one of the few who didn't nod off during English Lit in school.

I now lay down the command of my legions and retire to private life. Marcus Licinius Crassus
Sudane Erato
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Sudane Erato »

Coop wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:16 pm

Jonathan Swift (30 November 1667 – 19 October 1745) wrote a satire piece in 1729 called 'A Modest Proposal'.

He also wrote Gulliver's Travels....

I must have been one of the few who didn't nod off during English Lit in school.

To provide more details courtesy of Wikipedia....

"A Modest Proposal For preventing the Children of Poor People From being a Burthen to Their Parents or Country, and For making them Beneficial to the Publick, commonly referred to as A Modest Proposal, is a Juvenalian satirical essay written and published anonymously by Jonathan Swift in 1729. Swift suggests that the impoverished Irish might ease their economic troubles by selling their children as food for rich gentlemen and ladies. This satirical hyperbole mocked heartless attitudes towards the poor, as well as British policy toward the Irish in general.

In English writing, the phrase "a modest proposal" is now conventionally an allusion to this style of straight-faced satire."

Now, granted, my theft of this label for my proposal about increasing prims was not *this* modest... but I did try to express the fact that while the proposal was modest, it might engender furious reaction due to higher costs. Happily, that's not been the case (at least so far...).

Sudane...................

*** Confirmed Grump ***
Profile: http://bit.ly/p9ASqg
Sudane Erato
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Sudane Erato »

Tanoujin Milestone wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:25 am

Proposal to ….
… buy additional 10k prims for an additional US$ 30 per month from the Lindens for NFS and CN. (And maybe later for AM and LA)
… Lower the monthly tier for a parcel on NFS and CN from currently L$ 5.8 per prim to L$ 5.0 per prim.

So I am VERY happy to hear that this proposal was agreed to by the RA at their meeting yesterday.

Yes, of course I will discuss implementing this with Chancellor Tor, but since he is sometimes scarce lately, I will ask the community via this forum. Was it the sense of people's enthusiasm for this that we simply order the new prims and put the rates into place as soon as they arrive? Or would you like me to adopt the procedure that I did in New England and postpone the change of rates for two months? (While that sounds like a huge generosity, it's really not that much money lost, and if the community feels that the extra time to decide what to do will be actually appreciated, I'd suggest doing it this way).

Sudane...........................

*** Confirmed Grump ***
Sylvia Tamalyn
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Post by Sylvia Tamalyn »

I'm all for it, the sooner the better, however I think that the way you did it in SLNE is the best way to avoid anyone feeling that the change was forced upon them. There are enough citizens who do not attend RA meetings and who may not read these forums, that it seems like the extra step of a notecard to the group along with a two month waiting period would be a good way to ward off any protests of "I didn't know!" later on.

I'd like this excellent change to be greeted with cheers, not ruffled feathers. :)

Tanoujin Milestone
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Tanoujin Milestone »

I am in favor of a 2 month transition period, along with a group notice to inform the citizens who do not attend RA meetings or read the forums.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Ian Maclaren
Lilith Ivory
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Lilith Ivory »

I fully agree with Sylvia (who took the words out of my mouth and replaced them through better ones) and Tan. :D

"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."
Terry Pratchett
Sudane Erato
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Sudane Erato »

Just a short note to announce that Neufreistadt and Colonia Nova now have 30,000 prims each. Every parcel has increased its number of available prims by half again as many as it had... i.e. parcels that had 100 prims now have 150.

Thank you RA members for approving this proposal.

I'll develop the notices and schedule for tier increases in the days to come, but it's my strong sense that everyone agrees that the actual increase will happen on or about January 1.

Sudane........................

*** Confirmed Grump ***
Sylvia Tamalyn
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Post by Sylvia Tamalyn »

*starts rezzing stuff* :lol:

January 1 sounds like the perfect time to put the new rates into effect. Nice and tidy!

Return to “General Discussion”