The seed of a proposal for growing CDS

Here you might discuss basically everything.

Moderator: SC Moderators

Widget Whiteberry
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

The seed of a proposal for growing CDS

Post by Widget Whiteberry »

Events are often the way I come to visit regions. Beautiful builds that are easy to navigate capture my imagination. Interaction with interesting and friendly people combined with recurring events, bring me back and encourage me to look around. So here's an idea which invites and indeed requires the participation of many, most of whom would simply attend and be friendly.

Through the Chancellor's office, we produce one 1-2 hr program each week. Saturdays or Sundays at 11a or noon SLT work well for many time zones.
1st S - Machinima screening (minimal expense if any)
2nd S - Live music - musician/s fee/s
3rd S - Multimedia theatrical event - fee
4th S - Still photography or sculpture exhibit with discussion with artist. Minimal expense if any. (Tray would be an outstanding interviewer of still photography artists. Calli might be, too. Hell, they could interview each other with a slide show sampling of works from the two of them. Perhaps Kali.)
5th S - Live music - musician/s fee/s

I'm interested to read what you all think.

Sylvia Tamalyn
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Re: The seed of a proposal for growing CDS

Post by Sylvia Tamalyn »

I am curious to know who you would propose to be in charge of organizing what appears to be a really ambitious calendar. A different event every week would be a substantial amount of work for just a couple of people to take on, particularly if they have RL jobs and/or other commitments (SL or otherwise). Our community tends to have a fairly small number of people who volunteer to take on everything from running for office, setting up for SLB, etc., so I have to assume that the lion's share of work implementing and running this project would fall upon those same shoulders.

I wonder if this is better left for discussion until after the election, to be addressed with the people who are actually in office at that point.

Widget Whiteberry
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Your question about scheduling is a very sensible one. I don't imagine it would come together all at once and each kind of event is it's own challenge. Still, I'm pretty good at scheduling, both in RL and SL. If the Chancellor's office were willing to budget and promote events, I'd be willing to work on a six month calendar and to work up a budget. And I'd begin by booking CDS citizens. We certainly have the talent.

I wonder if folks like the idea of attending and inviting guests to a weekly event.

Rosie Gray
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Rosie Gray »

Widget it sounds like an interesting idea. If you are willing to take on the coordination of such an event then I would support it as Chancellor. It IS a lot of work though, and I would assume you would be taking on the lion's share of it. Thanks!

"Courage, my friend, it's not too late to make the world a better place."
~ Tommy Douglas
Widget Whiteberry
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Rosie, Thank you.
As I said, I'm willing to schedule, which means I'm willing to find and book the talent. I'm also willing to produce a budget. But as has been said, there's a lot to be done. Let's see if anyone else is interested in being part of this team and thinking through the requirements. Including the Chancellor & PIOs, once we have them.

Han Held
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Han Held »

Rosie Gray wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:35 pm

Widget it sounds like an interesting idea. If you are willing to take on the coordination of such an event then I would support it as Chancellor. It IS a lot of work though, and I would assume you would be taking on the lion's share of it. Thanks!

Same here -with the same stipulation as Rosie. :)

---
"I could talk talk talk, talk myself to death
But I believe I would only waste my breath" -Roxy Music "Remake, remodel"
Brian Livingston
Veteran debater
Veteran debater

Post by Brian Livingston »

Would an "artist in residence" program be attractive? I am happy to provide an artist usage of one of my fachwerks in NFS for 6 months if they commit to a monthly event and 2 exhibitions.

Sylvia Tamalyn
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Post by Sylvia Tamalyn »

That reminds me of a question I've been meaning to ask for some time: What is the situation with the MoCA? Do the exhibits ever change? Who runs the place? I did a bit of searching here in the forums and it seems to be owned by a group, but I don't ever see any announcements or activities about it. Maybe that is something that could be addressed as a part of this discussion.

Rosie Gray
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Rosie Gray »

Brian Livingston wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:34 pm

Would an "artist in residence" program be attractive? I am happy to provide an artist usage of one of my fachwerks in NFS for 6 months if they commit to a monthly event and 2 exhibitions.

That's a nice offer Brian. I am not sure, but we could always put the word out in some artists' groups and see, if you are interested in managing it. I'm sure whoever is elected to the executive would assist (well I would anyway).

~ Tommy Douglas
Han Held
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Han Held »

Sylvia Tamalyn wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:05 am

That reminds me of a question I've been meaning to ask for some time: What is the situation with the MoCA? Do the exhibits ever change? Who runs the place? I did a bit of searching here in the forums and it seems to be owned by a group, but I don't ever see any announcements or activities about it. Maybe that is something that could be addressed as a part of this discussion.

To the best of my knowlege, Delia Lake runs it. I could, of course, be wrong.

I haven't seen it change in the time that I've been here.

---
"I could talk talk talk, talk myself to death
But I believe I would only waste my breath" -Roxy Music "Remake, remodel"
Sylvia Tamalyn
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Post by Sylvia Tamalyn »

The law establishing the MoCA (NL 3-6 MoCA Act) says it is to be owned by the city and outsourced to a private group, which I assume is MoCA Neufreistadt. It seems like something that could maybe be revitalized under the type of plan that Widget is proposing.

Rosie Gray
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Rosie Gray »

Han Held wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:04 pm
Sylvia Tamalyn wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:05 am

To the best of my knowlege, Delia Lake runs it. I could, of course, be wrong.

I haven't seen it change in the time that I've been here.

There was a change of the art once since I've been in the CDS, at least in my memory. It was a lot of fun to have an art opening and have fresh art installed.

~ Tommy Douglas

Return to “General Discussion”