Lest anyone forget...

Here you might discuss basically everything.

Moderator: SC Moderators

Sudane Erato
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Lest anyone forget...

Post by Sudane Erato »

Another utterly idiotic Linden Lab action against a very loyal SL-promoting resident.

https://strawberrysingh.com/2017/12/13/ ... inden-lab/

This is not about a disagreement regarding the use of LL intellectual property. This is about the *way* that LL took action against Strawberry's video. Instead of contacting her and indicating the issues which they found in violation, they said nothing to her at all. Rather, they filed a complaint with YouTube, thus threatening her livelihood. Only when she asked for clarification did they slowly, in bits and pieces, come forth with an explanation. You can see from her comments the net result... she will no longer attempt any kind of Help materials for newcomer residents.

Do not *ever* consider LL an organization which supports its customers, us. From the very beginning, after a few intelligent Lindens were pushed out of the organization (Robin, Haney, others who's names I forget...) LL has been an arrogant, insular group with no understanding whatsoever of the "product" which they sell. We are here, and hopefully we thrive, despite them.

Sudane......................

*** Confirmed Grump ***
Profile: http://bit.ly/p9ASqg
Sylvia Tamalyn
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Re: Lest anyone forget...

Post by Sylvia Tamalyn »

But I'm not sure that Tia Linden is an actual Linden employee. Her account didn't come up as active in Search, and from what I see on Google, that account hasn't been active in years, and was apparently hacked at some point. I have pointed this out to Berry, and hope she takes another look.

Sylvia Tamalyn
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Post by Sylvia Tamalyn »

I checked with someone I know, and it appears this may be legitimate. Bad move on the legal department's part if so, because not only is Berry a great ambassador for SL, but this is generating a lot of heat among some very prominent residents, including their favorite video maker, Drax.

Han Held
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Han Held »

It's fairly short-sighted on their part, and it discourages customers from doing tutorials or, honestly, any kind of promotional work for them.

It's absolutely insane, in all honesty.

They could have demonstrated that they'd defended their IP with a letter to Strawberry, and then followed it up with "now that we've defended our mark, we give you permission to continue using it. Thank you for promoting our content through blogs, videos and giving us screenshots for the last 6 or 7 years".

The only argument I've seen that I don't have an answer for is that she was 'monetizing' her videos. I'm not clear on the details of that (through ads?) but even so, the pennies she probably made hardly stack up to the dollars that Linden Lab got from the customers who buy the high(er)-end items that she promotes (and buy them as a result of her promotion), including mesh bodies and heads (I've gotten a lot of hints on using both from her, and without her blogs and videos I doubt I would have bothered).

So while I don't have an argument per-se about her monitization (sp?), I do think that this was a short-sighted and disproportionate response. By leaps and bounds.

Any way you slice it, Linden Lab just discouraged the promotion of their content, brand and service at a time when their concurrency and region ownership numbers are in free-fall. And the only suitable word to describe how moronic that is would earn me Yet Another forum reprimand :p

---
"I could talk talk talk, talk myself to death
But I believe I would only waste my breath" -Roxy Music "Remake, remodel"
Sylvia Tamalyn
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Post by Sylvia Tamalyn »

https://community.secondlife.com/blogs/ ... %E2%80%9D/

The Lab has apologized in public to Berry, and she is satisfied with the resolution.

Han Held
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Han Held »

Sylvia Tamalyn wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:11 pm

https://community.secondlife.com/blogs/ ... %E2%80%9D/

The Lab has apologized in public to Berry, and she is satisfied with the resolution.

Which was a pretty surprising turn of events, to be honest. She's got her video back up and I'm happy for her and glad that they actually copped to what they did and made it right.

Mona Eberardt did a write-up on the resolution where she made a very important point:

Consequently, Ms Singh was able to re-upload her video. With this, I consider the matter concluded, but I do wish it had never happened in the first place, and I also do have to wonder what would have happened if the one on the business end of the complaint was not a wildly popular blogger/vlogger, but a community member of far lower importance and influence, one who could not rally a large number of supporters at the drop of a hat.

And, as I said in the comments:

It’s not just the number of supporters, of course; it’s who the supporters were (Drax comes to mind) that tipped the scales for Strawberry in a way that they would not be tipped for you nor for me.

But even a Pyrrhic victory is a victory -even if most of us wouldn't be able to count on the same outcome were we in the situation Strawberry was in.

---
"I could talk talk talk, talk myself to death
But I believe I would only waste my breath" -Roxy Music "Remake, remodel"
Sudane Erato
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Sudane Erato »

I totally agree with Han. This is a surprising turn of events, which LL in recent actions has hinted that it's capable of (i.e. the offer to sell tier discounts, which we have taken advantage of...). Slowly, ever so slowly, it's possible that LL will evolve into a more forward-thinking organization and actually understand the product which it sells. We see here the huge momentum of it's past which caused the PR disaster, then swiftly reversed by those in LL trying to set the policies right.

I feel that our best response is to keep firmly in mind the horrendous past record of LL with it's residents and to appreciate when it manages to take the tiny baby steps towards improvement. Let's pray that they keep up the effort.

Sudane....................

*** Confirmed Grump ***
Profile: http://bit.ly/p9ASqg

Return to “General Discussion”