agenda for RA meeting 20-January-2018

Here you might discuss basically everything.

Moderator: SC Moderators

Ranma Tardis
Veteran debater
Veteran debater

agenda for RA meeting 20-January-2018

Post by Ranma Tardis »

I have constructed the shell for the next agenda. I got the time right on this version!

I would like the RA to review the laws.

Agenda for a meeting
of the 27th RA
20 January 2018
9 am SLT (pacific)

1) Administrative Business (10 minutes)

1a) Review and approval of the Agenda

1b) Review and approval of the Minutes

1c) Executive Report (if present)

1d) Report on the LUC

1e) Report on the Road Committee

2) Citizen Concerns (15-20 minutes)

3) RA members concerns (10 minutes)

4) Old Business

5) New Business

5a) Review of CDSL 24-01 Responsible Estate Management Act Discussion (10 minutes)

6) General Announcements (5 minutes)

7) Next RA meeting (1 minute)

8) Adjourn (1 minute)

Tanoujin Milestone
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Re: agenda for RA meeting 20-January-2018

Post by Tanoujin Milestone »

CDSL 24-01 Responsible Estate Management Act

Rationale:
In the Confederation of Democratic Sims, it is the responsibility of the CDS government to ensure that the estate is financially managed in a responsible manner with an overall goal of keeping CDS in the black.

Tenancy fluctuations and long term vacancies can negatively impact the financial health of the estate. This bill establishes parameters for selling a CDS region if it remains vacant, in the red and a financial liability.

1. If a region in the CDS fails to generate more than 75% of its monthly tier expense for more than three consecutive months, the Chancellor is empowered to take steps to sell the region, if he /she deems it in the best financial interests of the CDS.
The Chancellor will determine the sale price of the region based on the average market sale price for regions of that type at that time.

2. The Chancellor must give 30 days notice to all CDS citizens of the intention to sell a region both on the CDS forum and in an in-world CDS group notice.

3. The Chancellor must give 30 days notice of the sale to all citizens of the region via notecard. In the case of group owned land, the Chancellor will provide notice via notecard to the group owner.

4. Citizens of the region being sold are responsible for abandoning their land and taking refunds of their tier balance from the tier meters before the date of the sale.

5. Available parcels in the region that is scheduled for sale will remain available for lease during the next 27 days making it possible for residents to purchase land and generate revenue for the sim.
The RA has the authority to convene a session and override the Chancellor’s decision by a majority vote within 29 days of the Chancellors announcement to sell the sim.

6. Three days prior to the sale date, the Chancellor will review the financial status of the sim and post his/her findings to the CDS Group inworld and on the CDS forum.
If the sim generated at least 75% of its monthly tier expense, the sale of the sim will halt.
If the sim did not generate at least 75% of its monthly tier expense, the Chancellor will announce his/her intentions to sell the sim or not in the CDS Group inworld and on the CDS forums.
On the scheduled date of sale, the Chancellor will clear the region completely of all objects before placing the region for sale.

7. The Chancellor can confer the responsibility of clearing the region on a CDS estate manager.

8. At the Chancellor’s direction, Rudeen must place the region up for sale in the For Sale By Owner group. The Chancellor is responsible for writing up the text for the sales notice and for giving it to Rudeen.

9. Money from the sale of the region shall remain in the general CDS account (Rudeen).

10. Neufriedstadt is excluded from this act. Given the history of the region and the significance to CDS, Neufreidtadt will remain until it is no longer able to pay for itself or SL service ends.
If the region meeting the criteria as laid out in section one of this act is one of the grandfathered sims: Neufreistadt, Colonia Nova or Monastery then an extra-ordinary session of the RA will be convened to decide which sim is to be sold.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Ian Maclaren
Tanoujin Milestone
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

@ Ranma:
I have never been a big fan of this law, but it is hard for me to explain why. Would you be so kind to expand on what aspects of this law you want so see reviewed Ranma? Do you just want to keep the RA busy with reviewing laws and picked this one because it is the last law being passed, or do you have a special intention?

Ian Maclaren
Sudane Erato
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Sudane Erato »

I am NOT a fan of this law either. It addresses a vital topic and because of its rigidity would hinder the all-encompassing discussions and community process which would have to accompany the hard decisions of shedding sims. It should be repealed IMHO.

Sudane..........................

*** Confirmed Grump ***
Profile: http://bit.ly/p9ASqg
Rosie Gray
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Rosie Gray »

I've never been a fan of this law either. Situations such as this need to be reviewed based on time and circumstance, in my view.

"Courage, my friend, it's not too late to make the world a better place."
~ Tommy Douglas
Ranma Tardis
Veteran debater
Veteran debater

Post by Ranma Tardis »

Tanoujin Milestone wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:15 pm

@ Ranma:
I have never been a big fan of this law, but it is hard for me to explain why. Would you be so kind to expand on what aspects of this law you want so see reviewed Ranma? Do you just want to keep the RA busy with reviewing laws and picked this one because it is the last law being passed, or do you have a special intention?

I would like to see this law repealed as well. It is just not productive and it is the health of the CDS as a whole that counts not individual sims. I just do not see this law as helpful. It places too much of a burden on the Chancellor.

As for keeping the RA busy, it is the job of the RA to review laws and repeal or modify them as required. My thought instead of taking the entire task on at once, to do it in small bits and pieces.

The RA can discuss it some more on our next meeting and depending on input have a vote on the meeting of 3-February-2018

Ranma Tardis
Veteran debater
Veteran debater

Post by Ranma Tardis »

Tanoujin Milestone wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:15 pm

@ Ranma:

I would like to see this law repealed as well. It is just not productive and it is the health of the CDS as a whole that counts not individual sims. I just do not see this law as helpful. It places too much of a burden on the Chancellor.

As for keeping the RA busy, it is the job of the RA to review laws and repeal or modify them as required. My thought instead of taking the entire task on at once, to do it in small bits and pieces.

The RA can discuss it some more on our next meeting and depending on input have a vote on the meeting of 3-February-2018

Guillaume Mistwalker
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Guillaume Mistwalker »

May I ask others to explain what they find so objectionable about this law and what they would like to see changed?

Gaius Nebuliens Curio (Guillaume Mistwalker)
si enim pecunias aequari non placet, si ingenia omnium paria esse non possunt, iura certe paria debent esse eorum inter se, qui sunt cives in eadem re publica. (Cic. De Rep. 1.32.49)
Sylvia Tamalyn
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Post by Sylvia Tamalyn »

Just at a glance, I have to agree with the others and say it seems arbitrary and not as flexible as I'd want to see in something of such importance as the disposal of one of our regions. I think this is something that needs to be addressed on a case by case basis by the community, if the topic ever should arise. Like Ranma, I don't want to focus on just one sim performing poorly when the focus should (IMO) be on the estate as a whole. I am not going to pretend that I've put a great amount of thought to the issue, but this just doesn't feel like the best way to address such a situation. It's cumbersome.

Ranma Tardis
Veteran debater
Veteran debater

Post by Ranma Tardis »

Guillaume Mistwalker wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:51 pm

May I ask others to explain what they find so objectionable about this law and what they would like to see changed?

My main objection is making the sims dependent on their own revenue. The CDS is based off of the European model of being dependent on each other and not the American model of self dependence. I see the CDS as one and not a collection of separate sims.

If the CDS was in financial trouble, we can come tougher as a community for a solution and not depend on a single member.

Rosie Gray
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Rosie Gray »

Ranma Tardis wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:24 pm

My main objection is making the sims dependent on their own revenue. The CDS is based off of the European model of being dependent on each other and not the American model of self dependence. I see the CDS as one and not a collection of separate sims.

If the CDS was in financial trouble, we can come tougher as a community for a solution and not depend on a single member.

Yes, this is how I see it as well. I think that if we were to contemplate divesting a region because it is not pulling in enough revenue, we should look at the big picture to determine if anything should be done. I don't like the idea of being locked into an action because of a law, when it may not be what the citizens want.

"Courage, my friend, it's not too late to make the world a better place."
~ Tommy Douglas
Tanoujin Milestone
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Thanks for the explanation, Ranma, and everyone else for the valuable input. I was afraid we were going to make a bad law worse ;)

Ian Maclaren
Tanoujin Milestone
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

edit: double post

Ian Maclaren
Bagheera
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Bagheera »

I was only able to find was that it was up for discussion by the 24th RA at their January meeting, 2016 - and they voted to table it.

http://forums.slcds.info/viewtopic.php? ... 29&p=42141

Can someone find the minutes that contain the vote that made it into law? I haven't found it anywhere in the 24th RA's minutes and half of the 25th's. I was looking for the original rationale as discussed by the RA before they put it to a vote but I can't find the vote.

Thanks!

Usually I Dislike a Cloud Sky
Tonight I Realize That a Cloud Sky
Makes Me Appreciate the Light of the Moon
- impromptu poem composed by Gen'i
as depicted in Yoshitoshi's 100 Aspects of the Moon
Sylvia Tamalyn
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Post by Sylvia Tamalyn »

Here is the vote from the RA meeting transcript, January 23, 2016. I did not go back further to find the discussion that I assume was had at prior meetings:

[12:33] Shep (shep.titian): responsible estate management act
[12:34] Shep (shep.titian): I move we accept the act as written here ,, which incorporates Nolli's amendement
[12:34] Gaius Tiberius Curio (guillaume.mistwalker): Second.
[12:34] Shep (shep.titian): vote
[12:34] Hannah Marie Bloodwolf (han.held): aye
[12:34] Tanoujin Milestone: could we make clear which text we are discussing now? I can not open the one embedded in the agenda
[12:34] Shep (shep.titian): aye
[12:34] Shep (shep.titian): oh
[12:35] Widget Whiteberry raises hand with 3 subsantive concerns
[12:35] Shep (shep.titian): one sec please
[12:35] Tanoujin Milestone: Shep, you posted "laws for the meeting" or so on the forum - is that the text?
[12:36] Lilith Ivory: could we please have at least a link to this text here?
[12:36] Shep (shep.titian): yes it is .. but I've added it to the box now
[12:36] Tanoujin Milestone: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7341
[12:37] Widget Whiteberry: links break ....
[12:37] Tanoujin Milestone: okay, great, i vote aye then
[12:37] Gaius Tiberius Curio (guillaume.mistwalker): Aye
[12:38] Shep (shep.titian): ok seems it passed
[12:38] Widget Whiteberry: No citizen discussion?
[12:38] Tanoujin Milestone: finally!

ETA: The actual discussion of the proposed law is in the October 3 and October 17, 2015, transcripts.

Return to “General Discussion”