An interesting NOT NEW tool

Here you might discuss basically everything.

Moderator: SC Moderators

Sudane Erato
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

An interesting NOT NEW tool

Post by Sudane Erato »

In SL New England we have an older resident who is having trouble... serious trouble... with typing, but she's still very anxious to participate in community life. A mutual friend told me that she thought she'd heard notice of a Voice > Chat tool that one could use in SL. Since I'd never heard of that, I queried the SL Tech Forum. The only reply I've gotten is the suggestion that I try Dragon Naturally Speaking, which the respondent thought worked with SL.

Dragon Naturally Speaking has been around a very long time, but it never occurred to me to try it. It was developed by IBM, but is now a separate company. I checked into it, and found that I could get a copy on Amazon for about US$53. Feeling that I myself might want to use it (I'm not getting any younger... and typing is always a chore!), I figured I'd get a copy, and if it worked well, recommend it to my friend in New England.

Well, I've just installed it and tried it out. Had a nice chat with Rosie via IM, using MOSTLY it. I think Rosie can testify... for someone who JUST that hour got it installed and was trying to learn it, it worked VERY well! So I thought that I'd bring it up here for any one in the community is finding typing a real chore, especially in meetings, and would love to be able to just talk!

If you're interested, here's how it works. You set it all up first... you have to give it a little training to get to know your voice. But once its set up, you launch it, and it shows as a little red button at the top of your screen. You click the button to turn the mic on (button goes green) and click again to turn it off.

So then you go into SL (I use Firestorm) and open a chat box or an IM box. Be sure your cursor is there... ready to type. Be sure the button is green (the mic is on). Then just talk. Dragon realizes that you're in an unsupported application, and it pops open a Dictation Box, where your words get typed out. When you finish your sentence, you click a Transfer button at the bottom of the Box. The text goes into the SL Chat box, and the Dictation Box disappears. Then you just hit Enter to transmit the sentence.

1) Talk
2) Transfer
3) Enter

Feels like one click too many, but I guess since Firestorm is "Unsupported", that's what you get. Regardless, talking with Rosie, I was able to gab on and on in a way I never could with typing.

Just a suggestion for those of you who may feel a bit isolated cause your typing skills aren't that great... or people who just ARE TIRED of so much typing!

Sudane.............................

*** Confirmed Grump ***
Profile: http://bit.ly/p9ASqg
Sylvia Tamalyn
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Re: An interesting NOT NEW tool

Post by Sylvia Tamalyn »

Now if they will come up with something to do the reverse, for those of us who only type and do not voice! lol

Bagheera
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Bagheera »

Sylvia Tamalyn wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:41 pm

Now if they will come up with something to do the reverse, for those of us who only type and do not voice! lol

Apparently, there is such a thing ! I found this post, here: http://blog.nalates.net/2013/09/11/seco ... h-program/

And the SLURL is still good!

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/P ... o/10/32/23 <- this is where my avatar is standing, right in front of the vendor.

I haven't purchased it to try it out yet.... but fyi

Usually I Dislike a Cloud Sky
Tonight I Realize That a Cloud Sky
Makes Me Appreciate the Light of the Moon
- impromptu poem composed by Gen'i
as depicted in Yoshitoshi's 100 Aspects of the Moon
Sylvia Tamalyn
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Post by Sylvia Tamalyn »

Interesting! If I read that correctly, it would be the people who wanted to hear what I said who would have to have the program. (Which is just as well, since I use a Mac and do not have Windows installed on it.)

I wonder how it would handle my many typos. :lol:

Return to “General Discussion”