A new proposal regarding land within the NFS walls

Here you might discuss basically everything.

Moderator: SC Moderators

Mizou Vavoom
Veteran debater
Veteran debater

Re: A new proposal regarding land within the NFS walls

Post by Mizou Vavoom »

I support both aspects of this project and am available to start on the planning, building mesh and texturing,

'Egidius, waer bestu bleven, mi lanct na di, gheselle mijn. Du coors die doot, du liets mi tleven. Dat was gheselscap, goet ende fijn.'
Gruuthuuse-handschrift -circa 1400
Tanoujin Milestone
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Tanoujin Milestone »

I like the idea of "densifying" the area and anchoring the builds to public land, as parcels become available or owners want their houses redone, no objection here, seems like a progress to me. The approach to have renters is interesting as well, but i would have some questions about that, mostly of technical/organizational nature.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Ian Maclaren
Em Warden
Passionate Protagonist
Passionate Protagonist

Post by Em Warden »

I strongly support Sudane's proposal. It really appeals to me with it's double advantages. It is very favorable "primwise" for renters, and it will make NFS an even more interesting place to explore. You will want to see what's hiding around the next corner...

NFS is at present in a way sitting between two (or even more) chairs. The old traditional Fachwerk houses have sequentially been exchanged for other houses as soon as the parcel it was standing on became available. New houses with better textures and less prims are something to wish for. But I have noticed a tendency to replace the colourful FW houses with gray and beige houses. The new houses are great, but NFS is becoming very gray...

What, once upon a time, made me love NFS enough to become a citizen was in fact all the little cranberry red, skye blue, leaf green and ocra yellow FW houses. So (influenced by my RL life as a colour loving picture painter) I sincerely hope that a gradually developing NFS will have house walls of different colours to please the eye :)

P.S.
My parcel in Gwynethstrasse 1240 is at your disposal anytime. Right now is a good time, since my neighboring parcel is not in use (the owner would probably be open to negotiations), and the next parcel beside that one is presently available. But please- make it colored :D

When you go through hell- keep walking!

Winston Churchill
Mizou Vavoom
Veteran debater
Veteran debater

Post by Mizou Vavoom »

Grey new NFS Fachwerk houses only?
Not so, I have provided Archie with a green, pink and ochre Fachwerk houses. So far only one has been placed, a green one and they have window boxes with interchangeable snow, flowers or nothing.
See previous post about it
http://forums.slcds.info/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8361

'Egidius, waer bestu bleven, mi lanct na di, gheselle mijn. Du coors die doot, du liets mi tleven. Dat was gheselscap, goet ende fijn.'
Gruuthuuse-handschrift -circa 1400
Rosie Gray
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Rosie Gray »

That's right, if anyone wants to switch out their current fachwerk for one of Mizou's new ones, please let me know and I'll organize Archie to do that for you.

"Courage, my friend, it's not too late to make the world a better place."
~ Tommy Douglas
Em Warden
Passionate Protagonist
Passionate Protagonist

Post by Em Warden »

Well, that is good news! I hope it will spread like wildfire :wink:

When you go through hell- keep walking!

Winston Churchill
Bagheera
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Bagheera »

Tanoujin Milestone wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:05 pm

I like the idea of "densifying" the area and anchoring the builds to public land, as parcels become available or owners want their houses redone, no objection here, seems like a progress to me. The approach to have renters is interesting as well, but i would have some questions about that, mostly of technical/organizational nature.

I do approve of the idea of letting the common property lands carry the burden of builds, especially in NFS.

I am less enthusiastic about making the builds more dense. To be honest, this might be a personal preference because I don't really care for it in real life either. That said, my overwhelming impression of what the majority of people instinctively are drawn to in a virtual world is the expansiveness of a long view. Virtual worlds are, essentially, moving paintings (movies) and so a lot of the cinematic canon works in developing a virtual environment. In this build, I am concerned that the overhang that juts over the road is too much aesthetically. I am also concerned about it on a pragmatic level because it creates a portion of an interior room where one cannot actually rez because it is on the road parcel.

It appears some change has been done to the road parcel which actually cut it into diamond shapes. (see image below)

Snapshot-1x _ Neufreistadt Parcels-70percent.jpg
Snapshot-1x _ Neufreistadt Parcels-70percent.jpg (111.29 KiB) Viewed 711 times

This is problematic on several levels because it gives the illusion to someone that they are on a public thruway when they are actually criss-crossing back and forth across 3 different parcels which will have different media and privacy settings (local chat and visibility). Also, the private land owners might choose to put out security orbs (which are allowed in the CDS covenants) and the person on the road will get warnings or if they stop too long in the wrong place, get ejected.

Regarding rentals: These same issues of media and privacy settings that are hard coded into the About Land menu are why I don't think rentals are a good idea for CDS. It fundamentally changes what CDS has to offer.

In addition, although CasperLet does restrict the ability of someone who isn't on the list to rez and it does have a meter that counts rezzed prims, it doesn't actually have the ability to restrict how many prims a person can rez once they are given permission, they can rez until the allotment for the entire group or named landowner is reached.

I hope this is not perceived as overly critical. I actually LIKE the innovation very much. These are just things to take into consideration over the long term.

Snap-20180318--Neufreistadt-overhang-33percent.jpg
Snap-20180318--Neufreistadt-overhang4-33percent.jpg
Snap-20180318--Neufreistadt-overhang-windlight4-33percent.jpg
Snap-20180318--Neufreistadt-overhang-windlight-10x33percent.jpg
Usually I Dislike a Cloud Sky
Tonight I Realize That a Cloud Sky
Makes Me Appreciate the Light of the Moon
- impromptu poem composed by Gen'i
as depicted in Yoshitoshi's 100 Aspects of the Moon

Return to “General Discussion”