A new proposal regarding land within the NFS walls

Here you might discuss basically everything.

Moderator: SC Moderators

Sudane Erato
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

A new proposal regarding land within the NFS walls

Post by Sudane Erato »

Some folks may have noticed that I built an unusual fachwerk on my Platz parcel to the left of the Kirche. It occupies not only the parcel, but it extends beyond the parcel lines to fill up entirely the space between the Kirche and what is now Delia's coffee shop to the left. But it's built in such a way that all the prims are anchored in the parcel itself.

The idea I had in mind when I built it was an image of the RL city streets that you see in old Germany, with houses and shops pushed up against one another, filling up all the ins and outs of the twisting streets. I thought that instead of the simple square building which most of the fachwerks are, we could create an interesting maze like place of passage-ways, stairways and rooms. In my chats with Rosie about it, I've called the process "densifying".

I think it succeeded pretty well. There are three entirely separate living/working spaces in the building, and two stone corridors which connect the Platz with Gwynethstrasse behind. I've been slowly replacing elements of the building with mesh so as to improve the look and lower the prims. Technically, the build's prims will now actually fit on the parcel (in terms of capacity). I have just a bit more to do.

So I have a proposal, which we can bring to the RA as needed, for the aspect or aspects which may require their approval. This is actually in two parts, one of which is straightforward, because we've done it before, and the other is "radical".

But the simpler one first. I'd like to give up this parcel, and perhaps apply my densification process to other NFS "in-the-walls" parcels as they might become available. But I'd like to assure that the build stays on its parcel, since it's created for there. So I'd like to propose that we anchor the build in public land. There are 7800 prims available, and the build will be between 70 and 80 LI (prims). My proposal here is not really just about this parcel, but perhaps a longer view, that we slowly "densify" the space within the NFS walls and anchor the builds on public land. This will increase the value of space within the walls (lots more prims available to the owners!) and slowly greatly improve the appearance of the town.

That's my "easier" proposal, easy because we already anchor builds on public land on AM so that they'll not be removed by new owners, and this just extends the policy. And it also adopts a policy which over time will hugely improve the city-like appearance of NFS.

My "radical" proposal is actually not new, but was debated vociferously in years past. Perhaps some of the old-timers will remember when it was proposed that a path be provided where "renters" (as opposed to parcel owners) might become citizens. I'd like to revive that debate. My Platz build is currently resident on a single parcel in NFS, allowing for a single citizen. But there are three very nice occupant spaces in the build. It is also burdened by parcel lines, which run through the building now. At this time, I've installed a tool which rezzes a marker so that the occupant can easily tell where in the upstairs spaces they can rez things (on the parcel) and where they can't (because its off the parcel). If the occupants were renters, this would make no difference, as all the land would be owned by the community, and the tierboxes would count how many prims you had rezzed and warn you if you rezzed too many. So at some point I'd like to revive that debate, with the aim of allowing renters to become citizens.

But for now, the "easy" proposal will suffice. I welcome comments about my "densification" project and about anchoring the resulting builds on public land so that they stay put.

Sudane..........................

*** Confirmed Grump ***
Profile: http://bit.ly/p9ASqg
Rosie Gray
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Re: A new proposal regarding land within the NFS walls

Post by Rosie Gray »

I support this project very much and think it would enhance our prime asset in the community, the NFS walled town. (At least to me it's our prime asset, because I love it!). The little old box fachwerks were great in their day, but they really don't hold up in this day of mesh everything and a much higher expectation of detail by most people in SL.

Really I think that we could go the route of Sudane's suggestion with changing over to 'renters' who get to be citizens, but I don't know that it's necessary. Right now the mews buildings in AM are anchored onto the public land, as our first foray into this experiment, but people are still able to purchase the parcels and thus become a citizen. The only thing they can't do is change the building - but this gives them the extra prims to do other things with. We could simply re-cut the parcels to include the little areas that Sudane refers to, that could be stand-alone access but aren't now.

Anyway, looking forward to hearing other's thoughts.

"Courage, my friend, it's not too late to make the world a better place."
~ Tommy Douglas
Sylvia Tamalyn
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Post by Sylvia Tamalyn »

I'm not clear on this; is the suggestion that current parcel owners be forced to give up the buildings that they chose and purchased on their own? Or would the idea be to gradually phase in new "approved" buildings as parcels became vacant over time?

Rosie Gray
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Rosie Gray »

Most of the buildings that are on the platz already are not actually purchased by the current occupants - they have mostly been there a long time, with of course some exceptions. We would never force anyone to give up their buildings though! I think it would be a slow process, when the parcels become available, or if the current occupants don't mind. They would benefit from it with more prims and a nicer building. Also, redoing those buildings takes a long time.

~ Tommy Douglas
Sylvia Tamalyn
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Post by Sylvia Tamalyn »

With that stipulation, it sounds like a cool project! It might have been a non-issue, but I just didn't want anyone having to give up a building they love so wanted to make sure. :)

Han Held
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Han Held »

I'm a touch concerned about the scope of the proposal, myself.

I like the idea of the faches immediately surrounding the platz being used for "new citizen" residences -something affordably priced but desirable that we can use to bring new people in.

Inside the city walls encompasses a lot of area, however and I know I'm not esp stoked to give up my place on Kendrastrasse, and I'm not crazy about the idea of all of the properties inside of the city walls being used for new resident housing, or being fit with required houses (eliminating builds such as my Monsterfach).

If we're just talking about the faches surrounding the platz, I'd be supportive of the idea. If we're talking about the whole area I think I'd be a little anxious -personally speaking.

One of the reasons why I have such a large prim bank is to allow myself all the room I could want to build ...but I want my building to occur in the city, where the people are (or at least where the traffic is); not in the country.

That said, I do support and like the idea of new user incentives and I think nice houses along the platz is a great idea.

---
"I could talk talk talk, talk myself to death
But I believe I would only waste my breath" -Roxy Music "Remake, remodel"
Sylvia Tamalyn
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Post by Sylvia Tamalyn »

I have the same concerns about my own parcel, Han, which *is* right on the platz. But now that I have been reassured that the idea would not be to 1) snatch my parcel away from me, or 2) snatch my building away from me, I think that introducing these new builds as parcels become available (or as parcel owners volunteer their land to be renovated) is an interesting idea.

Han Held
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Han Held »

Sylvia Tamalyn wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:49 pm

I have the same concerns about my own parcel, Han, which *is* right on the platz. But now that I have been reassured that the idea would not be to 1) snatch my parcel away from me, or 2) snatch my building away from me, I think that introducing these new builds as parcels become available (or as parcel owners volunteer their land to be renovated) is an interesting idea.

I'm talking about the other fachs inside the city walls, such as ours along Kendrastrasse, the ones by the city gate, etc.

I'd be fine with setting aside some of the fach parcels (the ones around the platz, mostly) for new users, but I think that a good number of the city parcels (the ones which are not around the platz, specifically) should still be available for anyone (new or old) to rent.

---
Sylvia Tamalyn
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Post by Sylvia Tamalyn »

Yes, I know, and I'm saying I want my building that IS on the platz, the sausage shop, to stay as it is. ;)

Han Held
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Han Held »

Sylvia Tamalyn wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:03 pm

Yes, I know, and I'm saying I want my building that IS on the platz, the sausage shop, to stay as it is. ;)

Ah, gotcha! 8)

---
Rosie Gray
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Rosie Gray »

I don't think that anyone is suggesting that the parcels on the platz be set aside for 'new' residents. It's more making the area itself more cohesive as a visual space that is important. The old buildings are tired, and Sudane has a vision (that I share), of making it more like like the rabbit-warren that a medieval town would be, utilizing all of the space by connecting the buildings together. You can see what she's done with the now former New England tourist bureau - the parcel beside the Kirche. The idea would be to remake the buildings as they become vacated, or if an existing parcel holder volunteers. NOT to take anyone's parcel from them, or force a rebuild on anyone. I for one want to keep my fachwerk parcel on the platz; but I'd be very open to having it remade to connect with other parcels in order to make the whole area more interesting.

The way I see it is, that if a parcel or parcels are redone to make these new buildings connect as described, they are then linked to the common lands (if this is approved by the RA), and then they are put for sale again to anyone - new citizen or old.

~ Tommy Douglas
Ranma Tardis
Veteran debater
Veteran debater

Post by Ranma Tardis »

You can redo my house @ Talenstrasse 1165

Ranma Tardis
Veteran debater
Veteran debater

Post by Ranma Tardis »

I like this plan and fully support it! What can I do to help?

Sudane Erato
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Sudane Erato »

Ranma Tardis wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:13 pm

I like this plan and fully support it! What can I do to help?

Right now, the first step is (I think) RA action to permit anchoring houses (houses approved by the Chancellor as in compliance with the covenant and consistent with the evolving theme) for citizens within the NFS city walls to public land. There are 7800 prims available, plenty more than needed, which will still allow plenty of prims for public events. I just don't know the boundaries of actions which require RA approval. But, perhaps, even if this approval is not strictly REQUIRED by CDS law, it would be a good and reaffirming step for the RA as the expression of the community to pass such a motion. IMHO

Sudane..........................

*** Confirmed Grump ***
Sudane Erato
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Sudane Erato »

I will try very hard to attend the RA meeting on the 24th, to answer any questions that might come up about this proposal. RL will keep me away from home until about when the meeting begins, so I'll log in as soon as I can.

Sudane..................

*** Confirmed Grump ***

Return to “General Discussion”