InWorldz

Here you might discuss basically everything.

Moderator: SC Moderators

Sudane Erato
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

InWorldz

Post by Sudane Erato »

Hans' post in G+ shockingly alerted me to the fact that InWorldz will probably close:

https://inworldz.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/a ... f-InWorldz

At the bottom, you can see that there is a last minute effort to raise community funding to keep it alive... but I'm not optimistic. This is very sad news, although I have recently passed along my own property there to a friend.

What's particularly sobering is that this is caused by Paypal errors, which they have refused to acknowledge, causing the collapse of this small business. Sadly, this is classic Paypal, which in past years repeatedly and flagrantly performed similar violations on many of its users. In recent years, with greatly increased competition, they have seemingly improved in their customer relations. Clearly, such improvement is not to be trusted.

So... a sad development for virtual worlds, and a sober reminder to be extremely guarded and conservative with any use of Paypal which you must engage. They haven't changed.

Sudane....................

*** Confirmed Grump ***
Profile: http://bit.ly/p9ASqg
Sudane Erato
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Re: InWorldz

Post by Sudane Erato »

Sudane Erato wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:11 am

... but I'm not optimistic.

Well, I have to take that back. Here is their GoFundMe page:

https://www.gofundme.com/inworldz-in-trouble

As of the moment I grabbed that link, they had raised $16,556 of their goal of $17,000 IN ONE DAY from 154 people! Wow... talk about a community and loyalty. Maybe InWorldz will survive after all. And it will do so because of people's sense of place... and WITHOUT Paypal.

I'm praying for them.

Sudane.......................

*** Confirmed Grump ***
Profile: http://bit.ly/p9ASqg
Sylvia Tamalyn
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Post by Sylvia Tamalyn »

It looks like there is some trouble in the fundraising now, something about moving everything to another grid and people withdrawing their donations in protest. I hope they work it out. I haven't been to IW in months, but there was a time when it was my main place to be.

Han Held
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Han Held »

They're not going to make it, I'm afraid.
After they changed the goal from "saving inworldz" to "making a new grid" people (rightfully) got mad and the gofundme has been shut down.

It's no longer accepting contributions.

---
"I could talk talk talk, talk myself to death
But I believe I would only waste my breath" -Roxy Music "Remake, remodel"
Ranma Tardis
Veteran debater
Veteran debater

Post by Ranma Tardis »

I am not sure what to believe. Yet InWorldz has come and now is gone.

Bagheera
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Bagheera »

After Bixyl came to the RA meeting last Monday, it reminded me to go read the SL Newsie. I spent the afternoon reading comments and catching up on what happened with InWorldz. Personally, I never got into InWorldz but I had several friends who split their time between SL and IW. The flaw to InWorldz, as it appeared to me, was it was dependent on the persons who created it and their control. It seems, based on InWorldz success that it DID have (it would have overcome even this obstacle except the creator decided to divert the rescue mission to a different path), that there actually might be a very real need/opportunity for a democratically controlled virtual world. I hadn't really entertained the concept seriously until this past week, but now I am thinking there might be a real "there" there.

Usually I Dislike a Cloud Sky
Tonight I Realize That a Cloud Sky
Makes Me Appreciate the Light of the Moon
- impromptu poem composed by Gen'i
as depicted in Yoshitoshi's 100 Aspects of the Moon
Han Held
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Han Held »

Bagheera wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:57 pm

After Bixyl came to the RA meeting last Monday, it reminded me to go read the SL Newsie. I spent the afternoon reading comments and catching up on what happened with InWorldz. Personally, I never got into InWorldz but I had several friends who split their time between SL and IW. The flaw to InWorldz, as it appeared to me, was it was dependent on the persons who created it and their control. It seems, based on InWorldz success that it DID have (it would have overcome even this obstacle except the creator decided to divert the rescue mission to a different path), that there actually might be a very real need/opportunity for a democratically controlled virtual world. I hadn't really entertained the concept seriously until this past week, but now I am thinking there might be a real "there" there.

I agree that there's an opportunity -I'm a bit on the conflicted side as to how to take advantage of it.

There's a couple of (at least nominally) democratically-run grids; Metropolis grid (hypergrid.org) and 3rdrockgrid. I am renting regions on both grids right now.

Metropolis grid is a German grid (most announcements are in both German and English) and for a while at least they were going to try to have things run by some sort of parliment. I'm not sure what's happened by that, and I suspect it's fallen by the wayside.

I was a member of 3RG a few years back, and the grid is in theory meant to be run by the users. I'm not sure what is going on with that today, but when I visited earlier today I was seeing new citizens taking up different responsibilities (eg one person was remaking their mainland area).

Obviously I welcome the thought of expanding out into the hypergrid. To do that, I think we're first going to need to examine what contractual and constitutional obstacles would get in the way of doing so.

I think we should revisit the question of outposts or colonies -CDS affiliated (but not necessarily owned) properties which could exist either in SL or on the hypergrid.

I think that would present a bite-sized way of working towards eventually having our own standalone grid in the future. The contractual and constitutional issues that would come up when it comes to establishing outposts would also come up if we tried to establish our own grid. But by going the outpost route we either can have a smaller investment, or ideally they would be self-funded and the entire estate isn't necessarily committed. If they go the way of Al-Andalus we're out nothing.

Rosie did a survey during her term which showed that there was little interest in opensim, though there was some. With that being the case I think it might be better if we think along the lines of providing means for those who are interested to "hitch their wagon" to the CDS as opposed to taking the CDS (with 90% of the folks being uninterested) out to Opensim.

Another question is ..."why?" We were originally founded (in part) to solve a specific problem; splitting the cost and resources of region ownership for the sake of making it managable. 30 people paying X amount of cash instead of one paying ~$300+deposit. That problem doesn't exist in opensim, so on an existential level we'd have to figure out what it is exactly we'd be bringing out there which would be relevant to anything.

I am still trying to think that one through. But I think that mentoring and stability would be two things we could offer out there. I can definitely see a place for an Artisan Guild on the hypergrid, as well as mentoring people who are new to estate/region and grid ownership.

---
"I could talk talk talk, talk myself to death
But I believe I would only waste my breath" -Roxy Music "Remake, remodel"

Return to “General Discussion”