Densification issue 1

Here you might discuss basically everything.

Moderator: SC Moderators

Sudane Erato
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Densification issue 1

Post by Sudane Erato »

I've read the RA transcript and minutes for last meeting, and it looks like I have some explaining to do. First thing was instructions on how to use the parcel border guide in order to set up things in your house so that they stay on the parcel. I'll write that out here (hopefully) and then maybe we can put that in a notecard for a new owner. The second topic is a discussion of the issues of ownership vs rentals, which I'll take up in a different post.

Each of my new "densification builds" inside the walls in NFS which has any part falling outside the parcel on which it is located has, or will have, at least one parcel border marker. I've placed small reddish boxes with a label that identifies it in out of the way spots in each house. If you touch the box, the red border marker rezzes. To get rid of it, JUST TOUCH IT, don't return it to me. Touching it invokes the llDie function which deletes it completely. You can always rez it again from the box.

Most of the builds have only one border marker, even if there are several floors. To move it around (i.e. up and down), just edit it and slide it vertically up and down to show the parcel border in different areas of your house. If you mistakenly move it sideways, don't try to get it back in place; just delete it and rez a new one.

You will see that in some places, the border marker will come inside your building. This shows you areas of your building in which you cannot place objects WITHOUT TAKING SOME SPECIAL PRECAUTIONS. Those areas are public land, and they may be set so that anything not owned by the public will be returned. So be sure and take the precautions if you want to place stuff outside the border marker but inside your house.

How to do it. The idea is that you are placing an object OUTSIDE your parcel but you are "anchoring" it INSIDE your parcel. First thing to note is that you can only do this with objects that you have "Modify" rights over. Many things you buy will give you modify rights, but not all. So check before trying this by editing the object... or even just looking at its listing in your inventory. If it says "No Mod" then you'll not be able to anchor it to your parcel; you'll need to place it within the border.

So once you've identified the object you'd like to place outside the border marker, put it there, and then "Edit" it. Next, while holding down the Shift key on your computer, "Edit" another object that's within the border marker. It's important that the object WITHIN the border marker be the last thing that you select to edit. Finally, with both objects selected, just click "Link" on the Edit screen. The object that's off the parcel will link, or anchor, to the object that's ON the parcel.

To repeat, when you click the various objects, you MUST click the object that's ON the parcel last, as that object becomes the anchor. You may be interested to know that it's this system exactly which anchors the house itself OFF your parcel, so that the prims of the house (more technically, the "LI") are not included in the prims you have available to use on your parcel.

PLEASE don't hesitate to modify this explanation, or ask me for clarifications, in order to make it more understandable.

Sudane...................

*** Confirmed Grump ***
Profile: http://bit.ly/p9ASqg
Sylvia Tamalyn
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Re: Densification issue 1

Post by Sylvia Tamalyn »

I might add that caution should be used in linking mesh objects, as in some cases, linking will actually increase the combined LI. So it's best to experiment in a sandbox if you are running low on available LI on your own parcel!

(Also, some items that show as "no mod" in inventory actually are mod. They say "no mod" due to scripts that can't be modified.)

Rosie Gray
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Rosie Gray »

Not everyone will have the right to rez on public property (you can't unless you are in the Land Verwaltung - the land management group). So, instead of rezzing the item where you want it in this case, you'll likely have to rez it within the bounds of the parcel, and then after linking it to the root prim, move the item to where you want it.

All this sounds more complicated than it is, but for people new to SL, or those who don't understand some of the basics of building in SL, it might be helpful for someone to show them.

"Courage, my friend, it's not too late to make the world a better place."
~ Tommy Douglas
Lilith Ivory
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Lilith Ivory »

Also I would like to add that it it is not a good idea to place scripted items like chairs or beds outside of your parcel and ancor it inside. Even if those items are modifiable they might not work properly anymore if you change the root prim (by ancoring the item on your parcel the root prim has to be the ancor)

"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."
Terry Pratchett
Sudane Erato
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Sudane Erato »

At the LUC meeting yesterday it was proposed that I prepare the text for a notecard which will guide new owners on how to deal with the densification homes located on parcels whose borders intersect the houses. Here is my proposed text. Please offer suggestions and/or additions.

Living in a home with parcel borders inside the house.

Some homes within the walls of Neufreistadt have areas within the house which are actually OUTSIDE the borders of your parcel. Put simply, you cannot place objects outside the borders of your parcel, or they may be returned to you, since this is public land.

BUT, there is a way to locate some kinds of objects there, by “linking” them to an “anchor” placed on your parcel. This notecard explains how.

All houses which have borders inside the house will have, in one or more spots within the house, small reddish boxes marked "Parcel Border Rezzor". If you touch this box, a red Border Marker will rez along the exact border of your parcel. You can “Edit” it and more it vertically (the blue arrow) up and down as needed. Do NOT move it sideways. If it gets moved sideways, just touch it to delete it and touch the Parcel Border Rezzor box to rez a new one. Always just TOUCH the red marker to delete it… don’t return it.

Anything to be placed outside of this red border marker will need to be anchored to an object INSIDE the border marker. Rez the object you want to place outside… you may have to rez it inside the border marker. Then figure out which object of yours, located inside the border, will be the anchor for this new object that will be outside. Edit the new object and slide it to where you want it, but BEFORE LETTING GO, hold down the shift key and click on the anchor object, so they are both highlighted. With them both highlighted, click the “Link” button on the “Edit” panel.

That’s it. The new object looks like its located outside your parcel border, but it’s actually anchored to the anchor object INSIDE your border, and its prims count towards your parcel prim allotment (also called LI’s, Land Impact Units).

Some suggested words of caution. Some objects actually INCREASE their number of prims (or LI’s) when you link them. If you are tight on prims, experiment in a sandbox before linking the objects on your parcel.

Also, some objects with scripts, like chairs or beds, do not perform properly unless they are the “root” prim, and when you link to an anchor, the anchor IS the root prim. As with the previous note, experiment before committing to this arrangement, as you may need to find places WITHIN the parcel borders for your scripted objects.

If you have any trouble with all this, please find an Estate Manager, whose names are listed on the board in the central Platz. They’ll be glad to help.

Sudane.................

*** Confirmed Grump ***
Rosie Gray
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Rosie Gray »

The only thing I would suggest is to include some titles and break it into sections, with maybe bullet points. It would just make it easier for people to scan and find the bit they are looking for.

~ Tommy Douglas
Sudane Erato
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Sudane Erato »

Good idea. How about this:

• LIVING IN A HOME WITH THE PARCEL BORDER INSIDE THE HOUSE
    Some homes within the walls of Neufreistadt have areas within the house which are actually OUTSIDE the borders of your parcel. Put simply, you cannot place objects outside the borders of your parcel, or they may be returned to you, since this is public land.

BUT, there is a way to locate some kinds of objects there, by “linking” them to an “anchor” placed on your parcel. This notecard explains how.

• REZZING THE BORDER MARKER
    All houses which have borders inside the house will have, in one or more spots within the house, small reddish boxes marked "Parcel Border Rezzor". If you touch this box, a red Border Marker will rez along the exact border of your parcel. You can “Edit” it and more it vertically (the blue arrow) up and down as needed. Do NOT move it sideways. If it gets moved sideways, just touch it to delete it and touch the Parcel Border Rezzor box to rez a new one. Always just TOUCH the red marker to delete it… don’t return it.

• LINKING THE OBJECT OUTSIDE THE BORDER TO SOMETHING INSIDE
    Anything to be placed outside of this red border marker will need to be anchored to an object INSIDE the border marker. Rez the object you want to place outside… you may have to rez it inside the border marker. Then figure out which object of yours, located inside the border, will be the anchor for this new object that will be outside. Edit the new object and slide it to where you want it, but BEFORE LETTING GO, hold down the shift key and click on the anchor object, so they are both highlighted. With them both highlighted, click the “Link” button on the “Edit” panel.

That’s it. The new object looks like its located outside your parcel border, but it’s actually anchored to the anchor object INSIDE your border, and its prims count towards your parcel prim allotment (also called LI’s, Land Impact Units).

• SPECIAL CAUTIONS
    Some suggested words of caution. Some objects actually INCREASE their number of prims (or LI’s) when you link them. If you are tight on prims, experiment in a sandbox before linking the objects on your parcel.

Also, some objects with scripts, like chairs or beds, do not perform properly unless they are the “root” prim, and when you link to an anchor, the anchor IS the root prim. As with the previous note, experiment before committing to this arrangement, as you may need to find places WITHIN the parcel borders for your scripted objects.

• GETTING HELP
    If you have any trouble with all this, please find an Estate Manager, whose names are listed on the board in the central Platz. They’ll be glad to help.

Can you actually put bullet points in a notecard??

Sudane....................

*** Confirmed Grump ***
Lilith Ivory
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Lilith Ivory »

Looks great and is easy to understand :)

On my mac (with german keyboard) I can type bullet points in a notecard by simply using alt ü.
I am sure there is something like this on an english keyboard too

"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."
Terry Pratchett
Rosie Gray
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Rosie Gray »

Thinking about this some more, maybe it would be a good idea to include some information on why some parts of the building are located outside of the parcel. Something like:

Some homes within the walls of Neufreistadt have areas within the house which are actually OUTSIDE the borders of your parcel. This is due to the restrictions of parcelling within Second Life and our desire to make use of the visual space around our roads which greatly enhances the environment you find here. Put simply, you cannot place objects outside the borders of your parcel, or they may be returned to you, since this is public land, even though visually it is a part of your building.

That's just a suggestion and is perhaps too wordy. Maybe you can come up with something better that does the same job.

~ Tommy Douglas
Sudane Erato
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Sudane Erato »

Good idea....

Some homes within the walls of Neufreistadt have areas within the house which are actually OUTSIDE the borders of your parcel. This is due to the crudeness of the parcel border system in SL, where parcel borders cannot follow simple lines, but must adhere to an arbitrary 4-meter grid. Put simply, you cannot place objects outside the borders of your parcel, or they may be returned to you, since this is public land, even though visually they appear to be in your building.

• REZZING THE BORDER MARKER

• LINKING THE OBJECT OUTSIDE THE BORDER TO SOMETHING INSIDE

• SPECIAL CAUTIONS

• GETTING HELP

Sudane..............

*** Confirmed Grump ***
Rosie Gray
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Rosie Gray »

That's looking really good to me, Sudane.

~ Tommy Douglas

Return to “General Discussion”