Government Question Hour July 12 2014 - transcript

For the Chancellor to make important announcements regarding executive actions.

Moderator: SC Moderators

Callipygian
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Government Question Hour July 12 2014 - transcript

Post by Callipygian »

Callipygian Christensen: So..I'll announce..this meeting is recorded for publication :)
Callipygian Christensen: Did either of you have specific questions reagrding the SC?
Callipygian Christensen: welcome Arria..it's good to see you!
Leslie Allandale: At this point I will do well enough being an observer.
Arria Perreault: Hi Calli ?
Arria Perreault: Hi Widget, Leslie
Callipygian Christensen: Morning Shep
Leslie Allandale: Hello
Arria Perreault: Hi to anybody I don't see yet ...
Callipygian Christensen: Lacking questions so far, I will point out that recently 'Forum Moderation' has been an issue. Revised forum moderation guidelines have been posted here:
Callipygian Christensen: http://forums.slcds.info/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=5127
Shep Titian: Hello everyone
Widget Whiteberry: Please welcome Odracir, who is an interested in joining us at CDS
Widget Whiteberry: He's reading the forum guidelines
Callipygian Christensen: welcome Odracir..annd others..please note this meeting is recorded for publication on the Forums
Odracir Wrigglesworth: thank you :)
Widget Whiteberry: I have one question about the new guidelines
Callipygian Christensen: This meeting is mandates to ensure citizens have an opportunity to bring questions to the gov't of CDS
Callipygian Christensen: Ok Widget?
Shep Titian: Welcome Odracir
Widget Whiteberry: thank you
Widget Whiteberry: I was delighted to read them
Widget Whiteberry: and applaud your efforts
Widget Whiteberry: my one question
Widget Whiteberry: What was the thinking of 5.4 "Only logs or transcripts as described above, occurring after publication of these guidelines on July 12, 2014, are permitted. This revision does not allow posting of Nearby Chat or Group Chat transcripts, logs, or excerpts of them, saved before that date."
Callipygian Christensen: Ah. Priorto this publication of revisions people had an expectation that public chat would not be permitted..
Callipygian Christensen: it seems unfair to open up the floodgates of those who might choose to dig up conversations from months or years ago to post now
Callipygian Christensen: conversations those participating in may have felt were protcted - so this is to be clear..from today this is ok.
Callipygian Christensen: Does that answer?
Widget Whiteberry: /me nods I was thinking about a recent group IM where a citizen was explicit about gaming the voter roles in order to hold power.
Odracir Wrigglesworth: Pardon me... I'm not sure if it's appropriate for me to ask a question. May I?
Callipygian Christensen: I don't see why not :0 Go ahead
Odracir Wrigglesworth: Okay thank you. Doesn't that description conflice with Article 3, paragraph 3.6?
Callipygian Christensen: Widget, it is always ok to paraphrase what one reads, as long as others have seen it also. This just clarifies what is permissible to quote completely
Callipygian Christensen: Odracir - I am not sure how you see it conflicting?
Odracir Wrigglesworth: Hmm.... well... It seems like a wise rule to require evidence when asserting facts. How is that possible now when asserting facts about prior public chats?
Callipygian Christensen: Well others may have been present, or one can state something was said if one believes other participants will confirm it - but in issues that are contentious, if one cannot provide some level of confirmation, perhpas it shouldnt be posted at all
Rosie Gray: good morning everyone
Leslie Allandale: Hi Rosie
Callipygian Christensen: Any other questions for the CDS gov't? While I can't answer for other arms, I can relay questions
Callipygian Christensen: (Reminder that this meeting is recorded for publication)
Widget Whiteberry: hmm, I see your point and I see the difficulty
Callipygian Christensen: Ok, I'll provide a little more background on the decision to revise the moderation guidelines,
Callipygian Christensen: Users have often requested/demanded 'more moderation'... while themselves participating in ways that are not positive and display many of the same behaviours they complain about.
Callipygian Christensen: It's a case of 'what they do is bad, what I do is perfectly ok'
Bromo Ivory: /me resembles that, but moderation on balance is better than free-for-all
Odracir Wrigglesworth: Okay... just trying to understand these guidelines... if I understand correctly, then at least in the case of prior public chats, only evidence of non-contentious issues is acceptable?
Callipygian Christensen: So this revision is to some degree a 'fresh start'..here are the moderation rules for everyone, they will be enforce, act accordingly please.
Callipygian Christensen: Odracir - any complaint or moderation is on a case by case basis, and most of the 'he said/she siad' issues are about private IM conversations, so I think it not likely to be a major issue
Odracir Wrigglesworth: I see... I am considering joining this group so perhaps I should explain my concern more specifically...
Callipygian Christensen: /me looks around for any other questions
Leslie Allandale: I have one
Callipygian Christensen: Certainly Odracir
Leslie Allandale: I yeild
Leslie Allandale: yield
Callipygian Christensen: Leslie..if you have a question, go ahead and type it in, and it will come up next :)
Odracir Wrigglesworth: As I have no history or context... when a contentious issue is raised here that has some relevant history, I'm unclear how I am to be confident I understand this history without proper evidence.
Callipygian Christensen: Ah. Odracir, context matters in that..and also in the 'why' these revised moderation guidelines have been created. My suggestion would be to do some readinfg of the Forums to see the context that has led to them? In addition, if you join CDS as a citizen, there is no requirement to participate in the Forums, although you can certainly join the Forum and review historical cntext ..dont even need to be a citizen to do that :)
Callipygian Christensen: Hi Ranma
Shep Titian: Hello Ranma
Ranma Tardis: good morning!
Rosie Gray: good morning Ranma
Callipygian Christensen: Usual caveat Ranma..meeting is recorded for publication.
Callipygian Christensen: So, Leslie?
Ranma Tardis: I agree
Leslie Allandale: The guidelines appear well though out and appropriate. However, is there any research into the guidelines of other forums?
Ranma Tardis: phone
Callipygian Christensen: Other forum guideliens were reveiwed, however these reflect revision of previously existing moderation guidelines of THIS Forum - it was felt that it was appropriate to revise what has always been there to update, not make a total change
Leslie Allandale: Thank you.
Callipygian Christensen: I will post the old ones later today once the Forum cooperates in letting me archive them
Callipygian Christensen: That way people can comapre and see what has been revised.
Rosie Gray: oh good idea
Rosie Gray: /me smiles at Delia
Callipygian Christensen: Morning Delia
Delia Lake: hi. I'm having a lot of problems with connection today :(
Callipygian Christensen: Any other questions..SC related..RA related..Executive related....?
Callipygian Christensen: "How about them Yankees??' :)
Odracir Wrigglesworth: Forgive me again... trying to quickly get up to speed on the organizational documents so I might have missed this... I notice that these guidelines have an Appeal provision but it isn't clear whether this is a formal process for Amending them?
Rosie Gray: lol
Callipygian Christensen: The Appeal process is to appeal actions of the moderators Odracir - amendment would be separate and approached by the moderators as this revision was ' users are increaasingly requesting a change' or some such
Shep Titian: Hello sweetie
Callipygian Christensen: rRegarding documents it's also good to review the Consiturion and laws on the portal here:
Rosie Gray: /me raises a hand
Callipygian Christensen: http://portal.slcds.info/
Callipygian Christensen: There are also links to the portal documents in the Forums
Soro Dagostino: Hello all
Callipygian Christensen: Hi Soro
Callipygian Christensen: Rosie?
Rosie Gray: Calli, I think that Odracir made a good point about previous chat logs
Rosie Gray: what is the thinking about no posting of public chat logs recorded before this date?
Callipygian Christensen: I already answered that Rosie - it is in the transcript so I would rather address any other questions if they appear?
Callipygian Christensen: If not, I can certainly copy and paste it again :)
Rosie Gray: oh sorry didn't see
Callipygian Christensen: No problem..I think it was before you arrived :)
Delia Lake: I agree with what Calli posted, that it should be from the time of posting of the guidelines forward.
Callipygian Christensen: The core of it is -people have had an expectation/belief that LL ToS would not allow such posting. Making it clear that from today this IS allowed lets people consider their interactions with others accordingly.
Delia Lake: exactly
Rosie Gray: ah, okay that makes sense ?
Widget Whiteberry: /me raises hand
Callipygian Christensen: Other questions for any arm of government? I can relay those that I can't address
Callipygian Christensen: Hello Cleo..usual caveat re recording and publication.
Callipygian Christensen: yes Cleo?
Callipygian Christensen: Widget?
Widget Whiteberry: Is your thinking the same for CDS group chat?
Callipygian Christensen: Widget - group chat, by it's nature goes out to up to..hmm..200 plus people..whomever has the window open at that time..
Widget Whiteberry: exactly
Callipygian Christensen: it's hard to believe people would have any expectation of privacy in that situation - the whole point is 'mass communication'
CLEOPATRA Xigalia: agreed.
Widget Whiteberry: so would prior group IM be allowable?
CLEOPATRA Xigalia: group IM?
Widget Whiteberry: well, it's hardly 'instant'
Widget Whiteberry: group chat?
Widget Whiteberry: a opposed to local
Widget Whiteberry: as*
Callipygian Christensen: No Widget - the date for group chat is today also..again, LL ToS makes ANY logged chat an issue in it ToS, so if people had an expectation of privacy, it's now clear it doesn not apply
Widget Whiteberry: /me nods
Callipygian Christensen: We have time for another question if anyone has one?
Callipygian Christensen: I don't see anyone typing..so before the snoring starts I will thank all of you for attending today!
CLEOPATRA Xigalia: lol
CLEOPATRA Xigalia: did you answer the question i posted ?
CLEOPATRA Xigalia: to the forums about moderating the forums.
Callipygian Christensen: The next government question hour will be..let me copy the info here:
Callipygian Christensen: epresentative Assembly ? Wednesday July 16th at 4pm SLT
Odracir Wrigglesworth: I would like to state for the record that I'm still unclear on the process for amending these guidelines
CLEOPATRA Xigalia: me raises hand
Odracir Wrigglesworth: I read very fast ;-)
Callipygian Christensen: Cleo - I posted a link to the revised document under your post, and I think much of it is addressed in this transcript.
CLEOPATRA Xigalia: i asked also that you say the process for moderating
CLEOPATRA Xigalia: ok
CLEOPATRA Xigalia: if its in the transcripts ill read there. if you answered the whole question.
Callipygian Christensen: Odracir - a request to the moderators by a large number of users would result in a review. There has never been a formal process to amend them.
Odracir Wrigglesworth: okay thank you
CLEOPATRA Xigalia: what is a "large"
CLEOPATRA Xigalia: define large
Callipygian Christensen: Cleo, 'large' would be a broad cross-section of users requesting change , not one or two or 5 individusls requesting it
CLEOPATRA Xigalia: please say a number. more than 5 ?
Widget Whiteberry: /me looks at the clock
CLEOPATRA Xigalia: you tend to speak in vagueness
Callipygian Christensen: I can't do that Cleo..it wold depend on how many active users there are at a given point in time. I'ts possible that the users would be polled to see what they want.
CLEOPATRA Xigalia: nods i see. :)
Callipygian Christensen: I'd suggest people read through the document a few times, review some of the Forums to consider the purpose of revision..and contact any of the moderators with further questions.
Callipygian Christensen: and its 9.04
Soro Dagostino: And Delia is typing an essay.
Delia Lake: My guess, and this is only a guess, is that if a particular guideline clause or condition were brought to the moderators by a number of people regarding different postings that the moderators would look into it, would review as Calli said. that would not though necessarily result in any changes as the guidelines for the forum must be both broadly applicable and broadly fair
Callipygian Christensen: I posted the date and time of next gov't question hour..thank you all for attending! We are adjourned and recording is done.

People often say that, in a democracy, decisions are made by a majority of the people. Of course, that is not true. Decisions are made by a majority of those who make themselves heard and who vote -- a very different thing.

Walter H. Judd

Return to “Executive Branch Announcements”