Delegate Anzere infohub maintenance to CDS Traders?

Forum to discuss business matters, commerce and the economy of the CDS

Moderator: SC Moderators

Diderot Mirabeau
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Delegate Anzere infohub maintenance to CDS Traders?

Post by Diderot Mirabeau »

Shouldn't we give responsibility for maintenance of the Anzere infohub to the CDS Traders' Association? It could be an insanely cheap way of driving a lot of traffic our way.

Sleazy_Writer
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Post by Sleazy_Writer »

Trade & Anzere, something that will *heavily* influence my voting.

In December I wrote that the Anzere hub had [b:10e92sc5]5800[/b:10e92sc5] traffic,
when I take a look now, it shows me that it has [b:10e92sc5]7050[/b:10e92sc5] traffic!
[b:10e92sc5][i:10e92sc5]This is nearly, no EXACTLY 10 times as much as NFS![/i:10e92sc5][/b:10e92sc5]

First of all:
The person(s) who kept the Anzere hub under CDS influence [b:10e92sc5]deserves a warm round of applause![/b:10e92sc5]
Afaik, nearly no SL groups have something to say over info-hubs.
[b:10e92sc5][i:10e92sc5]We should realise its value and get the maximum effect out of it![/i:10e92sc5][/b:10e92sc5]

Personally I'd like to see posters on the walls of the buildings there,
that will not only show things about SL & the CDS philosophy but also show the CDS's shopping possibilities.
Posters inform the visitors in a very direct way, and will have a better exposure than the notecard that's distributed at the moment.
I'd be happy to make the posters, but would need some help concerning the topics and the text on the posters, since I'm a rather new SL user.
I hope and believe it's possible to do this, while keeping it 'acceptible' for the Lindens.

Beathan
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Beathan »

I think that we should actively recruit someone with SL advertising talent (if we don't have such a person in residence already) and make that person an "ambassador at large" under the authority of the reformed Guild or CDS Traders Assn. Such a person can and should leverage the Anzere hub to promote the CDS as a project and as a residential and commercial community.

This proposal is already found, in principle, in the Simplicity Party proposals on Revitalization of the Community and Promotion of Democracy in SL -- in the Simplicity Party forum. However, I think that these proposals truly cross faction lines. Again, good ideas know no party.

Beathan

Let's keep things simple enough to be fair, substantive enough to be effective, and insightful enough to be good.
Sleazy_Writer
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Post by Sleazy_Writer »

Err..
Doesn't the function of "Ambassador at large" overlap with the function of the PIO (Public Information(s) Officer) that we already have?

And ehm, what exactly is the job description of our PIO? Oh, here it is:
http://www.aliasi.us/nburgwiki/tiki-ind ... ge=NL+4-26
As you'll read, our PIO is exactly the guy the CDS Tr. Assn. needs to talk to.
- - - -
I agree with Diderot in so far that [i:osx271qc]the CDS Tr. Assn. should at least be able to give a lot of input about[/i:osx271qc] what happens with the [i:osx271qc]Anzere[/i:osx271qc] hub.

As Beathan mentions, there are also other aspects to the CDS (and SL) and those should
probably be promoted in Anzere with info that non-CDS Tr.Assn. people provide. (and/or sanction, I'm thinking of Aliasi here)
It would be good if someone would coordinate it all and put some concrete actions on the agenda.

Beathan
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Beathan »

TOP --

You are quite right about the PIO. So -- we already have the function, and we should leverage it.

However, I think "ambassador at large" is a cooler title. Perhaps we should change the name.

Beathan

Let's keep things simple enough to be fair, substantive enough to be effective, and insightful enough to be good.
Diderot Mirabeau
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Post by Diderot Mirabeau »

Who is our PIO again? I was barely aware we had one.

Personally I think that external promotion is a different task altogether from internal communication and that responsibility for the tasks ought to be split.

External communications should be conducted by those who have a direct incentive to do so - cutting down on government bureaucracy and needless "embassies" and "ambassadors" wanting to roleplay all the formalities and pomp and circumstance of being "the official ambassador of the CDS to Caledon" - hooray that's all very well but what practical benefit does it bring us?

External communication has to be targeted and directly integrated with incentives arising from our "strategy" for being in CDS. The commercial sector will be interested in a particular kind of advertising and NGO's might be interested in something completely different. I'd hate to see our government spend resources on advertising that is too broad to really target any audience.

My personal opinion is that advertising should be done by business organisations and NGO's and not by unnecessary government bureaucracy. But something tells me that we may need to discuss it through in the Simplicity forum first before advancing any more detailed proposals.

Sleazy_Writer
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Post by Sleazy_Writer »

Heheh - I disagree, PIO sounds very cool. Peeooh.

Who is our PIO at the moment, Nightwind Leonov? [b:1hugjq6x]<-- Yes he is, I've got it confirmed now. (Thx Gwynn.)[/b:1hugjq6x]

Sleazy_Writer
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Post by Sleazy_Writer »

Let's not forget to invite Nightwind to the next CDS Tr. Assn. meeting.

Aliasi Stonebender
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Aliasi Stonebender »

Although, I hasten to add, I've kept the infohub as a personal project so Nightwind hasn't had much to say about it. I'm a builder, he isn't. *grin*

That said, I have absolutely NO problems with someone taking over the updates there. I simply don't have the time. As a technicality, anyone building there MUST be a member of the Land Veraltzwungwhatever group. (The group that 'owns' the public land in NFS.) You will not have ban/eject/return powers; the telehub is owned by Governor Linden and it is only SET to that group, to avoid the autoreturn.

I suggest, as much as possible, things be set to group so they CAN be returned if a builder becomes unresponsive.

Member of the Scientific Council and board moderator.
Patroklus Murakami
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Patroklus Murakami »

I had a quick look at the Anzere infohub yesterday and it *is* a golden opportunity for us to inform new residents about the CDS and the history of what was Neualtenburg.

Aliasi has done a great job of maintaining the infohub on behalf of the CDS and it's no small achievement to have retained it as 'ours' to maintain.

I have refrained from posting in this thread until Aliasi had made her views known. I'm sure the CDS Traders' Association will be happy to discuss this idea at our next meeting. This will probably take place after the election now. But I'd be grateful for others' views on whether it's more appropriate for the maintenance of the Anzere infohub to be the responsibility of:

[list:1wnkng6t]a) an individual
b) a government institution (and, if so, which one?)
c) a civil servant (and if so, which one?)
d) an NGO (and again, if so, which one?)[/list:u:1wnkng6t]

Pelanor Eldrich
Veteran debater
Veteran debater

Anzere Infohub, Ambassadors and our Head of State

Post by Pelanor Eldrich »

I think the Exec, through a civil servant appointed by our Chancellor should maintain the infohub. I tend to agree with Diderot about ambassadors/foreign relations. I feel that the CDS Traders group as a NGO can work with foreign entities to improve trade. I'm sure the CDS Trader's Group and the SPC and other orgs can offer content for the infohub.

I feel that "foreign policy", ie. the gov't role in dealing with other communities and with the Lindens should be under the executive. I feel that the Chancellor should function as head of state and should assume foreign policy responsibilities. By the same token I feel that marshals of the peace and the EO(s) should fall under the executive.

Having said that, I feel it would unwise, politically, to have the Lindens over for a diplomatic visit with substantive CDS discussion without at least the other branch heads present. An alternative head of state model would be to have a type of consitutional monarchy/parliament model of sorts with Dean as head of state. Not sure how I feel about that.

My views on the civil service are that each servant works for a "hiring manager", but ultimately for the Chancellor. This allows for some kind of uniformity in civil service hours, expectations, pay grades and benefits.

Pelanor Eldrich
Principal - Eldrich Financial
Sleazy_Writer
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

To keep us focussed on traffic.

Post by Sleazy_Writer »

To keep us focussed on traffic to our CDS:

<image of a lot of visitors at the Anzere infohub>

Oh, just a random Saturday at the Anzere infohub.
Has anybody *ever* seen this many people in the CDS? I thought not :-)

So:
Since SL seems to have unprecedented growth,
I think the Traders' Assn. shouldn't postpone discussing this subject and pick a date for the next meeting asap.

Let's make some new 'victims' ;-)

Last edited by Sleazy_Writer on Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dianne
Passionate Protagonist
Passionate Protagonist

Re: To keep us focussed on traffic.

Post by Dianne »

Just to jump into the debate.... :)

I mentioned most of the things brought up on this thread quite a while ago and volunteered to fix up the hub several times as well, but there are technical problems. Ironically the person who originally alerted me to the Anzere infohub being in disrepair, Jeremy Bender, is now a citizen of Colonia Nova!

The reason my "free beer vendor" doesn't work is that scripts are turned off on the property. As long as Aliasi wnats to have them off, then all kinds of things won't work at the Anzere hub.

The reason I never got around to updating the buildings, signs, etc. at the hub (even though Aliasi seemed to be in agreement to let me do it after I volounteered), is that I have [i:1c14q44w]no privileges[/i:1c14q44w] to edit any of the objects there or even to return junk if I see it. This applies even though I am wearing the group title of the group that owns the stuff and the land.

I don't know why this is so, but it is, and I reported at the time (several months ago) that this was the case. I haven't checked in the last month or so but I have spent a lot of time thinking and working on this project. I gave up because I was unable to change, move or activate/deactivate any objects on that land. As far as I am aware the only person who can do so is Aliasi.

As soon as we can work out a situation where there is a [i:1c14q44w]valid building group[/i:1c14q44w] that members can belong to that has privileges on that land, we can do anything we want.

Not to make this too much of an "I told you so" post.... I have also mentioned several times how we seriously need a group for builders and those involved in updating builds in both sims that all builders can belong to with the ability to edit each others work.

Why in the world do we not have a group for the Guild anymore?

=======
insert clever signature here
Aliasi Stonebender
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Aliasi Stonebender »

[quote="Dianne":1p1z1v95]
The reason my "free beer vendor" doesn't work is that scripts are turned off on the property. As long as Aliasi wnats to have them off, then all kinds of things won't work at the Anzere hub.
[/quote:1p1z1v95]

Dianne, let me get one thing straight.

[i:1p1z1v95]It is not my fault.[/i:1p1z1v95]

I have explained. REPEATEDLY. I do not own the infohub. The CDS does not own the infohub. Linden Lab owns the infohub, and Linden Lab says no non-Linden scripts.

Similarly, the most I can do is set all I have built there to group... which I shall double-check to see if I have. I thought I had, but mind like a sieve...

Personally, if what was, at the time, a simple attempt to try and score a little piece of the mainland for Neualtenburg-that-was, CDS-that-is is going to get me nothing but grief, I'll IM Torley right now, let her know we're abandoning the hub, and raze my construction. I have explained exactly what needs to be done.

That said, the pieces were NOT set as shared, so I have just corrected this. That much [i:1p1z1v95]is[/i:1p1z1v95] wholly my fault. :oops:

Member of the Scientific Council and board moderator.
Sleazy_Writer
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Post by Sleazy_Writer »

[quote="Aliasi Stonebender":kn0v5gk5] [the Anzere infohub] is is going to get me nothing but grief[/quote:kn0v5gk5]

Aliasi, *nobody* wants to cause you grief! -->
[quote="TOPGenosse Brouwer":kn0v5gk5]The person(s) who kept the Anzere hub under CDS influence [i:kn0v5gk5]deserves a warm round of applause![/i:kn0v5gk5][/quote:kn0v5gk5]

[quote="Aliasi Stonebender":kn0v5gk5]I'll IM Torley right now, let her know we're abandoning the hub[/quote:kn0v5gk5]

Please don't! (Btw, I think Torley is a dude.)

[quote="Aliasi Stonebender":kn0v5gk5]I have explained exactly what needs to be done.[/quote:kn0v5gk5]
Your right about that. I hope we (or the Traders' Assn. or anybody) can take a look at it soon, try it out, get it working and take the job out of your hands, with or without your supervision.

With my many posts about this subject I never wanted to pressure you into anything, all I wanted to do is get the topic on the agenda of some work group (in this case the Traders' Assn.).
Once that work group works out a good proposal, I'm sure we can work with you to implement it. Maximum effect, minimum effort if you ask me.

Maybe some of us should better read the threads and previous posts, so that you don't need to repeat yourself. On the other hand I'm glad to see Dianne involved in this.

And finally, there's been argued that, ideally, full control of the Anzere hub should be in the hands of the CDS instead of 1 person.
While I agree with that ('ideally'), I also *fully* agree with a post by Beathan (elsewhere), that it's totally unacceptable to 'rob' people of their property.
Who would think of robbing other CDS-ers? (or robbing anyone for that matter) I can hardly believe anybody wrote about such a scenario. Either I misinterpreted Beathan, or Beathan misinterpreted someone else ...

Anyway, let's try and do this with the minimum of trouble and the maximum effect. I think we all agree on that.
As soon as someone picks a date for the next Traders' Assn. meeting I'll submit some concrete ideas/proposals/designs myself.

Return to “Business, Commerce and the Economy”