Timely and Accurate Posting of RA Minutes

Closed forum for all Representative Assembly members. Everybody is allowed to see government in action, but posting and replying is restricted to RA members only.

Moderator: SC Moderators

Rosie Gray
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Timely and Accurate Posting of RA Minutes

Post by Rosie Gray »

CLEOPATRA, who nominated herself to be RA Archivist this term, has now posted 2 sets of Minutes on these forums. The first Minutes http://forums.slcds.info/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4935 taken of the June 14th, 2014 meeting were accepted as amended with the following changes: "Fixing the spelling of Llewellyn, and the addition of Guests: CDS citizens and friends", at the meeting on July 4, 2014,

I note that corrected Minutes of the June 14th meeting have not been posted on these forums, and that the following Minutes of the July 4th meeting are also poorly done, lacking the item points from the Agenda as reference, and basic formatting - all which should be done to make the following of decision making during meetings easy to follow and reference in the future; this is the whole point of taking Minutes.

During the July 10, 2014 meeting I directly asked the question of Cleopatra if she is willing and able to perform the RA Archivist duty of taking and posting Minutes using accepted business practices of including the items from the Agenda first, followed by the Motions pertaining to them, and including posting corrected Minutes on the Forum and on the CDS website in a timely manner? CLEOPATRA'S answer to this question was "i do not answer to you Rosie Gray, i am doing the RA minutes, they are posted. If you do not like how i did them. .. oh well."

I find this response in the person who requested to do the job of Archivist to be highly unsatisfactory, and the lack of follow through in posting corrected Minutes to be inadequate.

The Amended Minutes of the June 14th meeting are not posted on the portal - the responsibility of the RA Archivist.

Due to the failure of the Motion to accept the Minutes of July 4, and the refusal of the Archivist to make them acceptable or acknowledge that they even need to be to a certain standard, we do not have approved Minutes of that meeting.

Minutes are the record of an organizations decision-making. It is crucial that they are accurate since they are the reference record of the proceedings and actions of the organization. None of this is rocket science - I provide the following links of numerous websites that instruct on the proper way to write Minutes: https://www.google.ca/#q=how+to+write+m ... of+meeting. All it takes is the willingness to spend the required amount of effort on doing it.

I call upon CLEOPATRA, who nominated and voted for herself to be RA Archivist, to do the job properly and promptly; to post the Amended Minutes of June 14th; to fix the Minutes of July 4 so that they include the items of the Agenda and can be Motioned at the next RA Meeting to be accepted; and to post the Minutes on the portal, or step down from the position.

"Courage, my friend, it's not too late to make the world a better place."
~ Tommy Douglas
Cadence Theas
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Re: Timely and Accurate Posting of RA Minutes

Post by Cadence Theas »

I think more important to consider is that the minutes represent government and historical documents, an archival legacy for future people in CDS to reference when needed. Sloppy minutes make searching very difficult and reflect badly on the care of the Archivist in her or his task. Although in the RA meeting, I abstained to accept the minutes and abstained to remove Cleo as archivist, I do call on her to do with conscience the task that she volunteered to perform. She is recording our history, and we have a right that it be done properly, particularly as we look forward to rather important legislative moments this term, such as the new sim.

Gwyneth Llewelyn
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Re: Timely and Accurate Posting of RA Minutes

Post by Gwyneth Llewelyn »

While I appreciate Cleo's availability for having volunteered as a RA Archivist, and very well know how tough that task actually is, I should also remind Cleo that she accepted the role voluntarily (and it's a paid role! Granted, nobody gets rich by being a RA Archivist, but that's not the point), so the RA (and the citizens in general) are allowed to expect that Cleo puts the same amount of energy in doing her job as RA Archivist as she does with everything else :)

If not, well, then it's also the job of the RA to supervise the work of the RA Archivist.

Another thing that I would like to see is an update of the Portal with the laws already passed on the current term. Looking at the minutes I think we don't have any 'laws' passed in this term, but I surely expect the RA Archivist to place them on the Portal as soon as any is passed.

"I'm not building a game. I'm building a new country."
  -- Philip "Linden" Rosedale, interview to Wired, 2004-05-08

PGP Fingerprint: CE8A 6006 B611 850F 1275 72BA D93E AA3D C4B3 E1CB

Return to “Representative Assembly Discussion”