Post by Lilith Ivory »

Agenda:

Approval of Agenda

New Business:

1. Request to the incoming RA: addressing update of laws OD 15 mins

2. Election of Dean - OD 5 mins

Old Business:

1. Dates for future elections - 5 min. ADMIN

2. NL 7-10 IP Licensing and Content Archivist Act draft amendment -final discussion and vote to submit-15 min. OD
http://forums.slcds.info/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=6601

2. Hearing procedure draft - 15 min OD
relevance of proposed updates to Defence of the Realm act; should hearing procedure incorporate the offenses as posted in the proposed amendment

3. Impeachment procedure first discussion: update - 15 min OD

Next meeting: July 18?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

[08:08] Vintage RCA meeting recorder: Recording begun
[08:08] Soro (soro.dagostino): Err. . . back.
[08:08] Callipygian Christensen: There we go
[08:08] Callipygian Christensen: SO..we'll get started..welcome everyone
[08:08] Vintage RCA meeting recorder: Note: Meeting in progress - all local chat in this area may be recorded for publication
[08:09] Callipygian Christensen: the agenda is in the box on the table, and we are of course recording for publication.
[08:09] Callipygian Christensen: Approval of the agenda - does anyone have any concerns, additions, removals and so on?
[08:10] Lilith Ivory: I am fine with the agenda
[08:10] Soro (soro.dagostino): Consent to agenda.
[08:10] Callipygian Christensen: Arria?
[08:11] Arria (arria.perreault): I agree
[08:11] Callipygian Christensen: agenda is approved then

[08:12] Callipygian Christensen: first item of new business
[08:12] Callipygian Christensen: Request to the incoming RA: addressing update of laws
[08:13] Callipygian Christensen: We are often asked for opinions, or give an answer to a petition, that results in our suggesting that a law be amended or created.
[08:14] Callipygian Christensen: This sometimes doesnt happen, so with a new RA, I would like to send a reminder to the LRA of any outstanding 'please take a look at this' laws we have dealt wtih.
[08:15] Callipygian Christensen: Two that come to mind are the laws addressing the portal and media in genral.
[08:15] Callipygian Christensen: If you can think of additional ones, please let me know and I will add them to a notecard to send to the LRA.
[08:16] Callipygian Christensen: Open discussion - are there any concerns about doing so, items you want addressed?
[08:17] Callipygian Christensen: I see no indication of anyone typing so will take that as a 'not that we can think of' :)
[08:18] Callipygian Christensen: If any that need to be mentioned do come to mind - please let me know.

[08:18] Callipygian Christensen: Item 2. Election of Dean
[08:18] Soro (soro.dagostino) raises hand
[08:19] Callipygian Christensen: It is that time of year again - at our July meeting I will call for nominations and we will vote to elect the Dean for the coming year
[08:19] Callipygian Christensen: Soro?
[08:20] Soro (soro.dagostino): Just a note, what of the work being done on the laws by Widget and the others?
[08:20] Soro (soro.dagostino): Do we comment, or wait until they are done?
[08:20] Callipygian Christensen: I assume that is continuing and will make its way to RA as things are completed Soro
[08:21] Callipygian Christensen: Giving your thoughts during the process is a good thing I think
[08:21] Widget Whiteberry nods
[08:21] Soro (soro.dagostino): Thank you.
[08:21] Soro (soro.dagostino): done.
[08:22] Callipygian Christensen: I am not sure which stage of 'done' you mean - it's certainly more efficient to address concerns before an Act is voted on by RA than after
[08:23] Callipygian Christensen: I'll also mention, although most here already recognize this, that an SC member giving a personal opinion on wording etc or content of a proposed law is doing only that - giving a personal opinion.
[08:24] Callipygian Christensen: There is no guarantee that, should that wording come before the full SC at some point, that the personal opinion of any one of us would carry.
[08:24] Widget Whiteberry raises hand
[08:25] Callipygian Christensen: Widget?
[08:25] Widget Whiteberry: I'd love substantive input. Earlier the better.
[08:25] Widget Whiteberry: thank you
[08:25] Callipygian Christensen: ok.
[08:26] Callipygian Christensen: On again with item 2 - please give some thought to whether you wish to stand for election as Dean and ensure that if you are intending to nominate one of your colleagues, that they are willing to stand.
[08:27] Callipygian Christensen: any comments before we move on?

[08:28] Callipygian Christensen: seeing none, on to Old Business
[08:29] Callipygian Christensen: item 1 - dates for future election cycles
[08:29] Callipygian Christensen: Lilith - can I ask you to speak to this please?
[08:29] Lilith Ivory: yes :)
[08:29] Lilith Ivory: I promised to make a first draft at our last meeting but unfortunately I didn´t get this done yet
[08:30] Lilith Ivory: but will make it as soon as possible and send it to Arria so she can have a l,ook at it
[08:30] Lilith Ivory: done
[08:30] RG Cooperstone (roguegeek.cooperstone): raises hand
[08:30] Callipygian Christensen: Thank you - if it could be ready for the next meeting we can accept and publish and still be giving plenty of advance notification of dates.
[08:31] Lilith Ivory: yes :)
[08:31] Callipygian Christensen: Coop?
[08:31] RG Cooperstone (roguegeek.cooperstone): will the SC be clarifying the dates for eligibility that came up this cycle, or will that be the RA's?
[08:32] RG Cooperstone (roguegeek.cooperstone): Just afraid it will come up again. Done
[08:32] Callipygian Christensen: I am sorry.I am not sure I understand the question. Clarifying which dates?
[08:32] RG Cooperstone (roguegeek.cooperstone): eligibility for voting and candidacy
[08:33] Callipygian Christensen: They are quite clear when published - and are part of the reason we publish 2 or 3 cycles ahead.
[08:33] Callipygian Christensen: I (or the new Dean) also post them at thestart of the election cycle and during.
[08:33] Callipygian Christensen: I am not sure how much clearer we can be?
[08:35] Callipygian Christensen: Until such time as the Consitution and laws change in some way , the need for two qualifying dates, two Citizens Lists related to those dates, and the actual dates themselves are defined by law.
[08:36] Callipygian Christensen: Coop - was there some other form of clarification you thought is needed?
[08:37] RG Cooperstone (roguegeek.cooperstone): The law is not explicit as I read it
[08:38] RG Cooperstone (roguegeek.cooperstone): Thank you.
[08:38] Callipygian Christensen: If you wish to see a change to the wording of the law, then yes, that would be a matter to bring to the RA.
[08:38] Soro (soro.dagostino) raises hand.
[08:38] Callipygian Christensen: Soro?
[08:38] Soro (soro.dagostino): I was going to ask why it was not explicit . . .
[08:39] Callipygian Christensen: ok - Coop?
[08:39] RG Cooperstone (roguegeek.cooperstone): Nothing that I read explicitly lays out the dual eligbility dates
[08:40] RG Cooperstone (roguegeek.cooperstone): it could be interpreted that way, but it isn't plainly clear.
[08:41] RG Cooperstone (roguegeek.cooperstone): I don't intend to open that can of worms now, I was just asking about the dates.
[08:41] Callipygian Christensen: Ah. That stems from the 'over 28 days' required as citizenship, to vote or stand for office - it is a PITA to have to calculate both sets, but is done to ensure that candidates are citizens at the time the candidate list is published.
[08:42] Callipygian Christensen: Coop - we can, when publishing the dates, include an explanation of how and why they are so.

[08:43] Callipygian Christensen: ok..moving on to Item 2
[08:44] Callipygian Christensen: the draft has been on the discussion site for 2 months with no comment - so is there any further discussion needed, or can we vote and submit it to RA?
[08:45] Callipygian Christensen: Open discussion.so go ahead if there is anything.
[08:47] Callipygian Christensen: Ok..before we vote, I'll say, for the record, that it is not the habit of the SC to submit amendments however, since the appointment of the content archivist falls to us, we are doing so in this case.
[08:48] Callipygian Christensen: Motion to prsent the NL 7-10 IP Licensing and Content Archivist Act draft amendment , as published, to the LRA for RA consideration.
[08:48] Callipygian Christensen: Can I have a second?
[08:49] Lilith Ivory: I second
[08:49] Soro (soro.dagostino): Second
[08:49] Callipygian Christensen: Lilith seconds.
[08:49] Callipygian Christensen: Please state your votes SC members, aye or nay
[08:49] Arria (arria.perreault): aye
[08:49] Lilith Ivory: aye
[08:49] Soro (soro.dagostino): aye
[08:49] Callipygian Christensen: aye
[08:49] Callipygian Christensen: Motion carries.
[08:50] Callipygian Christensen: I will post the draft to the Legislative discussion forum and send it to the LRA.

[08:50] Callipygian Christensen: Item 3..which I just noticed is misnumberd on the agenda..but is the Hearing Procedure Draft
[08:51] Callipygian Christensen: We were at the stage of discussing what actions might result in banishment for inclusion .
[08:52] Callipygian Christensen: There is now a Defence of the Realm amendment in discussion that identifies a set of actions and behaviours.
[08:54] Callipygian Christensen: My question to the SC members is: Should we wait for that to be dealt with, and echo the language for consistency? Should we go ahead and idneitfy 'the SC version of what might be serious enough ? Should we just refer to 'as defined in the Laws and Consitution' ?
[08:54] Callipygian Christensen: Thoughts please.
[08:54] Althea (tiedyehippie) is Online
[08:55] Soro (soro.dagostino) raises hand
[08:55] Callipygian Christensen: No need to raise a hnd Soro..open discussion so go ahead
[08:56] Soro (soro.dagostino): I suggest changes to the law are the purview of the RA.
[08:56] Callipygian Christensen: Absolutely *nod*
[08:57] Soro (soro.dagostino): Any comment by an SC member should be personal
[08:58] Callipygian Christensen: We are talking about our own procedures Soro - those for hearings. so we are not tampering with any laws
[08:58] Soro (soro.dagostino): Not "official" action by the SC.
[08:58] Callipygian Christensen: The question is whether we use specific language from the proposed law in our own document, for consistency
[08:59] Soro (soro.dagostino): If, and when adopted.
[08:59] Callipygian Christensen: yes
[09:00] Lilith Ivory: I like the idea of refering to it "as defined by laws and constitution" but also echoing it for our use might be useful in case the law gets messed up again later on
[09:00] Callipygian Christensen: So is tht your thinking Soro.to wait and include the language if and when it is voted on?
[09:01] Soro (soro.dagostino): Yes.
[09:01] Soro (soro.dagostino): I agree with Lil
[09:01] Callipygian Christensen: Lilith -yes, history tells us that things left 'wide open' tend to have a mob trample through them at some point :)
[09:01] Lilith Ivory grins as that´s exactly what she was thinking
[09:02] Callipygian Christensen: My only concern if we choose to echo language is one of timeframes.
[09:02] Arria (arria.perreault): I am also in favour to wait
[09:03] Callipygian Christensen: Can we establish a timeframe - that if that porposed amendment isnt in place by a certain date we will go ahead and provide our own set of criteria?
[09:03] Arria (arria.perreault): Consistency is important in such matter
[09:04] Callipygian Christensen: Perhaps August 1st?
[09:04] Lilith Ivory nods
[09:04] Soro (soro.dagostino): ok
[09:04] Arria (arria.perreault): I agree, Calli. Can we review our text in this case ?
[09:04] Callipygian Christensen: that is 2 RA meetings - if it not addressed by then we proceed ?
[09:05] Lilith Ivory: and if we have a griefer before I am sure we all are able to deal with this person showing common sense like we did before
[09:06] Soro (soro.dagostino): Madame Dean, my apologies, I am being called in RL. I have to go.
[09:06] Soro (soro.dagostino): You are quorate.
[09:06] Arria (arria.perreault): Bye Soro
[09:06] Callipygian Christensen: Ok..I will send a notecard tto the LRA expalining that we are waiting for an outcome of that amendment to proceed.
[09:07] Soro (soro.dagostino): Goodbye all.
[09:07] Callipygian Christensen: we are Soro..take care.
[09:08] Callipygian Christensen: Our final item- also misnumbered, is Impeachment procedure - we discussed a method of gathering citizen input last meeting and how to implement it. I did not do so during May due to the election activity, so will do so now.
[09:09] Callipygian Christensen: Dideither of you have further thoughts or input to the Impeachment discussion at this time?
[09:10] Lilith Ivory: not me at the moment
[09:10] Arria (arria.perreault): I don't have any
[09:11] Callipygian Christensen: ok..then that completes our business for today. I'd like to take a moment for osme thankyous though.
[09:12] Callipygian Christensen: this last election cycle required additonal work from all SC members, due to the different method used for polling.
[09:13] Callipygian Christensen: Thank you to Arria who acted as the collector of e-mails and ensured they were from qualified citizens..and to Liith who took care of a variety of admin related functions.
[09:13] Arria (arria.perreault): you're welcome :-)
[09:13] Lilith Ivory: was my pleasure :)
[09:14] Callipygian Christensen: The time it took to run an election..and then a second run-off, is also the reaosn no May meeting of the SC was held - so thankyou to the citizens for not lighting the torches when we did not meet. :)
[09:14] Rosie Gray: clap clap clap
[09:14] Rosie Gray: well handled, SC people ㋡
[09:14] Callipygian Christensen: Thank you also to those of you attending today - we appreciate that people areinterested in what we do.
[09:14] Pip Torok: applause
[09:14] Tor Karlsvalt nods.
[09:15] Tor Karlsvalt: ♫~~♫~~APPLAUSE~~♫~~♫
[09:15] Widget Whiteberry nods
[09:15] Callipygian Christensen: DO any of you citizens have an questions or concerns?
[09:15] Widget Whiteberry: ye
[09:15] Callipygian Christensen: (Arria Lilith and I are not going to line up and take a chorus line bow..but we appreciate the thank yous :)
[09:16] Widget Whiteberry: I'd be very interested to know more of what SC members consider bannable actions
[09:16] Lilith Ivory grins
[09:17] Callipygian Christensen: I think today made it clear that SC members can provide that sort of personal input to the discussions on the Forum.
[09:17] Callipygian Christensen: I hope each of us will do so.
[09:17] Lilith Ivory: the list you have so far looks very good to me or I would have added my 5 cent already
[09:17] Widget Whiteberry: me too
[09:18] Callipygian Christensen: ok..fianlly..next meeting. I have set for July 18th, 8 AM SLT..is that ok for both of you?
[09:18] Arria (arria.perreault): It works for me
[09:19] Lilith Ivory: at the moment I am toyin gwith the idea of being on vacation during the last weeks of july, but this is not sure yet
[09:19] Lilith Ivory: most likely I will be here :)
[09:19] Callipygian Christensen: well we sill set it for that date..and can address if it needs to be changed to be quorate closer to the time.
[09:19] Callipygian Christensen: Tha done..may we adjourn?
[09:19] Lilith Ivory nods
[09:20] Lilith Ivory: I second
[09:20] Callipygian Christensen: all in favour?
[09:20] Lilith Ivory: aye
[09:20] Callipygian Christensen: aye
[09:21] Arria (arria.perreault): aye
[09:21] Callipygian Christensen: We are done -unless Arria refuses to adjourn and starts a filibuster :)
[09:21] Callipygian Christensen: ah..there it is..we are adjourned :)
[09:21] Vintage RCA meeting recorder: Recording ended.

"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."
Terry Pratchett

Return to “Scientific Council Announcements”