Announcements by the Dean of the Scientific Council

Moderator: SC Moderators

Callipygian
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Request for Waivers

Post by Callipygian »

Request for the issue of waivers

As you will know I have been pleased to appointed Sudane Erato to act as Treasurer for CDS as part of the Executive Branch team. This continues a long standing arrangement of previous Chancellors. As required by the NL 5-5 Treasurer Act and NL 5-6 Estate Owner Act I request that the SC grant waivers for Sudane Erato to continue as Treasurer.

I believe two waivers are required, the first to allow Sudane Erato as EO to hold the appointed office of Treasurer of CDS. The second to allow Sudane Erato to act as Treasurer while being the EO, an administrative position in the governed entity in which she serves. I ask for this as the law does not allow her to hold both positions without a waiver from the SC.

I have extracted the references to this requirement from the two laws below

NL 5-5 Treasurer ACT
‘The position of Treasurer shall be understood as a “civil service” type position. The citizen holding this role will not occupy any other elected or administrative position in the governed entity which he/she serves, unless a waiver might be granted, on a case by case basis, by the SC. She/he shall be appointed by the Chancellor, with the advice and consent of the RA, and shall jold their position until they may resign or removed for cause. Any such planned transition shall be of a duration of no fewer than 60 days to allow for reestablishment of accounts and the transfer of funds.’

NL 5-6 Estate Owner Act
‘7. The EO will receive no compensation for the office. In addition, the EO will be prohibited from holding any elected or appointed office in the sim government, unless a waiver might be granted, on a case by case basis, by the SC. The only compensation provided will be the ceremonial title “Owner of the Sim”.’

People often say that, in a democracy, decisions are made by a majority of the people. Of course, that is not true. Decisions are made by a majority of those who make themselves heard and who vote -- a very different thing.

Walter H. Judd

Return to “Scientific Council Announcements”