Extraordinary meeting of the SC - Tuesday July 15 - 7.30 AM

Announcements by the Dean of the Scientific Council

Moderator: SC Moderators

Callipygian
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Extraordinary meeting of the SC - Tuesday July 15 - 7.30 AM

Post by Callipygian »

There will be an extraordinary meeting of the SC on Tuesday July 15 at 7.30 AM in the SC chambers.

Agenda:

1. Review of the banning of Pip Torok by Ceasar Xigalia for contravening:

NL 4-24 Defense of the Republic Act

Preamble
Estate owners in Second Life have tools available to them to defend their property against those who would do them harm. In Neualtenburg we allocate those powers to Government officials and responsible citizens to protect the sim and our citizens. We also allow for oversight of these powers to prevent abuse.
Definition
Griefing is defined here as behaviour designed to harrass others or to damage the sim. It includes inter alia harrassing avatars for racial, sexual or homophobic reasons; deleting or defacing public or private property in Neulatenburg; armed or unarmed combat with unwilling parties and attempts to crash the sim.

Powers
Members of the Representative Assembly, the Scientific Council and the Guild Master (and citizens temporarily empowered by these bodies) are empowered to ban avatars from Neualtenburg if they are griefing or make a recorded threat to grief.
The Scientific Council are empowered to deny citizenship to a non-citizen if they have cause to believe that the non-citizen will not abide by the Constitution, founding documents and laws of the City.
Oversight
Sim bans will be reviewed at the next Scientific Council meeting which must take place within 28 days. The Scientific Council can support, rescind or amend the ban and must set a time-limit for review by a future SC meeting.
Bars to citizenship must be time-limited and can be overturned by a 2/3 majority vote in the Representative Assembly.
Rationale:
I’ve made the changes as discussed in previous posts. The one difference is that I’ve added the potential for the RA, SC or Guildmaster to temporarily grant ban powers to other citizens. I thought this might be useful when we want to have ‘security’ at events without relying on a member of the government to be there and be prepared to eject people if need’s be.
(Author: Patroklus Murakami)
passed as amended 12 May 2006

2.Identify procedure to address the complaint identified in the notecard "Banned Avatar Report"

People often say that, in a democracy, decisions are made by a majority of the people. Of course, that is not true. Decisions are made by a majority of those who make themselves heard and who vote -- a very different thing.

Walter H. Judd

Return to “Scientific Council Announcements”