Moderator: SC Moderators

Coop
Veteran debater
Veteran debater

SC Minutes and transcript of meeting 20 August 2016

Post by Coop »

Transcript of Scientific Council meeting Saturday 20 August 2016

Meeting called to order at 0918 SLT

Members present: Dean Lilith Ivory, Aliasi Stonebender, Soro Dagostino, Callipygian Christensen, RG Cooperstone

Agenda was approved

Petition Template was discussed. Final draft was accepted and posted. Ivory moved to accept, with second by Cooperstone . Voted to accept unanimously.

Next meeting was discussed, and set for September 18 at 9 am SLT.

Ivory moved to adjourn at 1012 SLT. Voted aye unanimously.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lilith Ivory: I call this meeting to order and now
Lilith Ivory: do we all aprove on the agenda?
Soro Dagostino: Approve agenda.
RogueGeek Cooperstone: second
Lilith Ivory: all who aprove it say aye please
Lilith Ivory: aye
RogueGeek Cooperstone: aye
Aliasi Stonebender: aye
Soro Dagostino: aye
Lilith Ivory: Hi Widget
Garnet Manx: small wave hello widget
Lilith Ivory: no new business today ...
Widget Whiteberry: /me stumbles to her seat
Lilith Ivory: Old business:
Lilith Ivory: Standart template for petitions
Lilith Ivory: I think the newest version can be found here:
Lilith Ivory: http://forums.slcds.info/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=7523
Lilith Ivory: brb
Lilith Ivory: back (someone at the door)
Lilith Ivory: did we all have a chance to look at this version?
RogueGeek Cooperstone: Yes
Aliasi Stonebender: yep
Lilith Ivory: Hi Calli - welcome :)
Lilith Ivory: we just started with the template of petitions
Soro Dagostino: Hello Calli.
RogueGeek Cooperstone: Hi Calli
Callipygian Christensen: ok
Lilith Ivory: the link to the latest version is here:
Lilith Ivory: http://forums.slcds.info/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=7523
Soro Dagostino: A question?
Lilith Ivory: I am fine with this draft so far but woinder if our discussion about allowing a citizen to decide wether we can discuss a petition in public got included enough in this draft
Lilith Ivory: yes Soro?
Aliasi Stonebender: it seems to be in the notecard.
Lilith Ivory: /me nods
Soro Dagostino: Does this limit the discretion to consider matters by the SC -- now it must have a citizens petition?
Lilith Ivory: I don?t think this will change anything as before we could act on most things ony when having a petition too
Lilith Ivory: other thoughts?
RogueGeek Cooperstone: I thought this was more for petitions from'outside' and not from ones 'inside'
Callipygian Christensen: I don't see it as doing that Soro - the intent is just to provide citizens with a format to present their petitions - many were unsure how to do so
Callipygian Christensen: for myself, I am fine with it, if the following section is removed "My petition can be discussed in a public meeting : YES / NO

Should the Dean contact me to discuss concerns about publication ? YES / NO

I have published my petition in the forums : YES / NO (Paste URL)"
Lilith Ivory: /me nods in agreement
RogueGeek Cooperstone: ok, so remove that section, and the rest is good?
Aliasi Stonebender: yeah, to the best of my knowledge this is less 'this is th eonly way to do things' and more 'here' sa standard form letter so we don't get rambly 20-runon-sentence-paragraphs.'
Callipygian Christensen: we discussed this at length 2 meetings ago and agreed that all SC peitions and decisions are public and that in exceptional circumstances , should they arise, the Dean could be spoken too about privacy - that is addressed in the final paragraph of this template so no need for the previous - it *suggests* private hearings are possible
Lilith Ivory: are we all fine with that or is there further discussion needed?
Callipygian Christensen: one other edit for clarity:
Lilith Ivory: yes? Calli
RogueGeek Cooperstone: I have the copy up and am editing as we speak
Soro Dagostino: And a note that it does not limit the discretion of the SC.
Callipygian Christensen: replace 'think that the petition is a personal concern' with 'is requesting that the petition not be dealt with publicly'
Callipygian Christensen: done.
RogueGeek Cooperstone: I have the second edit done, and you may want to check the 'not limited' clause
RogueGeek Cooperstone: ok, paste it here or cards?
Lilith Ivory: I think it will be good to have a version in the transcript for the record
RogueGeek Cooperstone: Draft of the SC Petition Notecard, as discussed 8-20-2016

Petition to SC

Any CDS citizen may file a petition

Petitions may be of two types.

A. A petition challenging the legality of legislation

B. A petition alleging fault in the actions of a CDS citizen or government official.

Please fill in the information for the correct type of petition.

----------------------

TYPE A (Petition challenging the legality of legislation)

Date :

---

Petition challenging the legality of legislation

Reference to the particular act being challenged :

Why the act is believed to be unconstitutional :

Please note that this type of petitions shall be made public immediately.

---

Type B (Petition alleging fault in the actions of a CDS citizen or government official)

Identity (avatar) of the alleged transgressor(s) .

Code or covenant that is alleged to have been violated .

Remedy sought .

When the petition alleging fault in the actions of a CDS citizen or government official is filed, a copy shall
RogueGeek Cooperstone: immediately be forwarded to the alleged transgressor(s). They shall have 5 days to submit a written response to the petition. At the end of the five day period, the petition and any response(s) shall be published.

----------------
Article III Section 1 of the CDS Constitution states:

"The Scientific Council (SC) is a self-selected meritocracy. Its governmental role is to interpret and enforce the constitution. Its service roll (ed. note: sic) is to resolve citizen disputes and moderate user forums and events."

All CDS citizen are entitled to make a petition. The petition must concern themselves directly. They have to use the current notecard to enter the petition. This notecard has to be sent to the SC Dean or to any member of the SC. The petition will be hold in the next meeting of the SC.

Confidentiality
If a citizen is requesting that the petition not be dealt with publicly, they must declare it clearly. The SC has the right to decide that the petition is public. In this case, the citizen can decide
RogueGeek Cooperstone: to continue or to withdraw.

This in no way limits the actions the SC may take as a body on it's own initiative in accordance with the Constitution and the Laws of the CDS.
Callipygian Christensen: Oh..it should alsosay has to be sent to the Dean, and may be sent to other members of the SC
Callipygian Christensen: sending only to members withut notifying the Dean increases the chance of it being overlooked
Callipygian Christensen: Done
RogueGeek Cooperstone: got it, or to and
Lilith Ivory: and of course the dean can only start acting if she/he knows about the petition :)
RogueGeek Cooperstone: anything else?
Lilith Ivory: fine with me assuming SC members are allowed to discuss a petition between themselves even if the citizen wants to keep it private
Lilith Ivory: to decide it we can decide about it in a public eeting or not
RogueGeek Cooperstone: Doesn't that fall under the Official Secrets Act?
Aliasi Stonebender: I think that's somewhat implied, how else can the SC come to a decision on a petition?
Aliasi Stonebender: Unless you propose we just get given a blank notecard to mark 'yes' or 'no' :P
Lilith Ivory: /me laughs .. just wanting to have it bullet proof
Lilith Ivory: any more comments or can we vote on this petition draft as posted here and with the addition Calli requested?
Callipygian Christensen: Coop - can you repost final version please?
RogueGeek Cooperstone: Final Draft
RogueGeek Cooperstone: immediately be forwarded to the alleged transgressor(s). They shall have 5 days to submit a written response to the petition. At the end of the five day period, the petition and any response(s) shall be published.

----------------
Article III Section 1 of the CDS Constitution states:

"The Scientific Council (SC) is a self-selected meritocracy. Its governmental role is to interpret and enforce the constitution. Its service roll (ed. note: sic) is to resolve citizen disputes and moderate user forums and events."

All CDS citizen are entitled to make a petition. The petition must concern themselves directly. They have to use the current notecard to enter the petition. This notecard has to be sent to the SC Dean and to any member of the SC. The petition will be heard in the next meeting of the SC.

Confidentiality
If a citizen is requesting that the petition not be dealt with publicly, they must declare it clearly. The SC has the right to decide that the petition is public. In this case, the citizen can decide
RogueGeek Cooperstone: to continue or to withdraw.

This in no way limits the actions the SC may take as a body on it's own initiative in accordance with the Constitution and the Laws of the CDS.
Callipygian Christensen: good to go
Lilith Ivory: I move we adopt this petition template as posted here
RogueGeek Cooperstone: Second
Lilith Ivory: all in favor vote aye please
Aliasi Stonebender: aye
Callipygian Christensen: aye
RogueGeek Cooperstone: Aye
Lilith Ivory: yay it?s adopted :)
Soro Dagostino: Aye
RogueGeek Cooperstone: So post it on the Forum as 'official'?
Lilith Ivory: I would suggest we give this template to all SC members to pass it to citizens if needed and also have it in an inworld notecard giver and on the forum
Soro Dagostino: Sorry printing in RL.
Lilith Ivory: I would say so
RogueGeek Cooperstone: ok
Callipygian Christensen: /me nods
Aliasi Stonebender: is that pretty much all th ebusiness for now?
Lilith Ivory: indeed
Aliasi Stonebender: /me runs off to sleep, then. You know where my email is
Lilith Ivory: maybe we should hide this template so our schedule does not become more full again quickly ;-)
Callipygian Christensen: rest well Aliasi
Lilith Ivory: good night Aliasi
Lilith Ivory: thank you coop
Rosie Gray: /me notes that Aliasi looked like she could do with a good sleep.
Lilith Ivory: /me smiles and waves hi to Rosie
Rosie Gray: ?
Lilith Ivory: that leads me to some administrative business ...
Lilith Ivory: if any of my fellow SC members can think about other topics the SC should/could deal with please let me know so I can put it on the agenda for other meetings
Callipygian Christensen: .Lilith, not an agenda item Lilith - just a heads up that I am travelling Sept 12 - 26 and Oct 16 through 28 with no plans to have inworld access.
Lilith Ivory: /me smiles and nods
Callipygian Christensen: You are easiy quorate withut me, but this way you know why I disappear :)
Lilith Ivory: yes and thank you for letting me know
Lilith Ivory: anything else for today?
Soro Dagostino: Thanks for a good meeting.
Lilith Ivory: or should we try to find a good time or our next meeting?
RogueGeek Cooperstone: I will be out of pocket the weekend of 25 September
Lilith Ivory: should we try to meet at the weekend 17/18?
RogueGeek Cooperstone: we can try it then
Lilith Ivory: saturday the 17th or sunday the 18th? 8am or 9 am?
Soro Dagostino: Sunday, the 18 @ 0800
Lilith Ivory: I guess 8am does not work for Coop on a sunday
RogueGeek Cooperstone: not on Sunday
Lilith Ivory: so I?d say it?s either saturday again or sunday at 9am
Soro Dagostino: Sunday @ 0900
Lilith Ivory: ok, let?s try this :)
Lilith Ivory: I move our next meting will be at sunday sept 18 at 9 am slt
Soro Dagostino: Second
Soro Dagostino: aye
Lilith Ivory: very good
Lilith Ivory: if there is nothing more I call this meeting for adjourned :)
Lilith Ivory: all in favor?
Soro Dagostino: AYY!
Lilith Ivory: thank you all for coming and getting this petition thing finally done :)
Soro Dagostino: That was a misfingered "YAY!"

I now lay down the command of my legions and retire to private life. Marcus Licinius Crassus

Return to “Scientific Council Announcements”