Moderator: SC Moderators

Coop
Veteran debater
Veteran debater

Transcript of Scientific Council meeting Saturday 1 July 2017

Post by Coop »

Transcript of Scientific Council meeting Saturday 1 July 2017

Meeting called to order at 0935 SLT

Members present: Dean Lilith Ivory, Soro Dagostino, Callipygian Christensen, RG Cooperstone

Agenda was approved

New business was discussion about replacement of the domain admin for the forum under CDSL 23-04, and change in where the forum is hosted.

Cooperstone moved to adjourn at 1037 SLT, with second from Christensen. Voted aye unanimously.

----------------------------------------------
Lilith Ivory: the Agenda and a copy of the forum act are behind me in the box
Lilith Ivory: while I would highly recomend to look up that law at our portal as it is long and extremely difficult to read
Lilith Ivory: item one
Lilith Ivory: Approval of the Agenda
Lilith Ivory: are you all fine with it?
RogueGeek Cooperstone: yes
Callipygian Christensen: yes
Soro Dagostino: Got it.
Lilith Ivory: are you ok with the Agenda?
Soro Dagostino: Carry on.
Lilith Ivory: ok
Lilith Ivory: next item
Lilith Ivory: apporval of the minutes of the last meeting
Lilith Ivory: http://forums.slcds.info/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8109
Lilith Ivory: did you all read them and are you ok with it?
Callipygian Christensen: I wasn't present so must abstain
RogueGeek Cooperstone: yes
Lilith Ivory: I?m too
Lilith Ivory: Soro?
Soro Dagostino: I'm having trouble with the download.
Lilith Ivory: do you think you are ok with the minutes?
Soro Dagostino: Yes. I read them on the forum.
Lilith Ivory: thank you all
Lilith Ivory: ok next item - *takes a deep breath
Lilith Ivory: new business
Lilith Ivory: CDSL 23-04 Forum Act?,
the actual password holders of the CDS?GoDaddy account
possible replacement of the domain admin
Lilith Ivory: as this is a complex topic I would like to discuss this as structured Discussion between SC members for the moment
Lilith Ivory: we cn open the floor later for other questions
Soro Dagostino: Who wants the job?
Lilith Ivory: and of course if an attending citizen can provide info she/he is welcome to raise the hand
Lilith Ivory: do you all know what has happend last weekend? or should I give a short explanation about that and where we stand now?
Callipygian Christensen: It was in the transcript of the RA meeting so probably needs no recap
RogueGeek Cooperstone: please. we need to lay this out exactly before we charge into the aftermath
Soro Dagostino: Only bits and pieces.
Lilith Ivory: /me nods
Lilith Ivory: I spend this week doing some research about what has happend and where we are now so I might be able to answer most questions quoting Gwyn, Sudane and Mizou
Lilith Ivory: I invited all of them to join us here but unfortunately none of them had time to attend today
Lilith Ivory: while I do think this topic will keep us busy for more than one meeting
Lilith Ivory: Calli do you have questions or want anything to add before I go further?
Lilith Ivory: Soro? Coop?
Soro Dagostino: I see the issues.
Callipygian Christensen: No, Ill save my rant for later :)
Lilith Ivory: /me laughs
Lilith Ivory: Gwyns stated at the RA meeting:
[12:24] Gwyneth Llewelyn: But (fortunately) the password never changed,
[12:25] Gwyneth Llewelyn: so as of today, well, the password has been changed and a small new group has access to it ? whoever had it in the past will NOT be able to login anymore, ever
Lilith Ivory: so of course I investigated to find out who this small group of people is so we can decide it it is ok for us that they have access to the GoDaddy account now or not
Lilith Ivory: the actual domain admin is of curse still Gwyn only as the actual data and two backups are located on 3 servers owned by her
Lilith Ivory: as Sudane told me this small group of people are Sudane, Mizou and Rosie
Lilith Ivory: and Gwyn gave it to them out if urgency while trying to get access of the domain slcds.info again
RogueGeek Cooperstone: which Gwyn owns, technically. Correct?
Lilith Ivory: Gwyn "owns" the servers yes
RogueGeek Cooperstone: the domain name
Lilith Ivory: but the domain name belongs to GoDaddy and we need to renew it once in a while
Lilith Ivory: the domain name belongs to CDS
Lilith Ivory: if you want I can copy past a (long) explanation from Gwyn to that question:)
Leslie Allandale: raises hand
Soro Dagostino: From my experience with Go-Daddy, they keep ownership.
Soro Dagostino: But that is RL.
Lilith Ivory: when slcds.info got established for the forum several people had access to the account but as years went by Gwyn (and all others) have forgotten who this was
Lilith Ivory: yes Les?
RogueGeek Cooperstone: Registrant Name: Gwyneth Llewelyn
Lilith Ivory: I didn?t check
Lilith Ivory: did you Coop?
RogueGeek Cooperstone: I did a whois lookup on it
Leslie Allandale: Gwen owns the domain name, no godaddy
Leslie Allandale: I sent the registrant info to Lilith
Lilith Ivory: well she owns it only as long as she pais for it :)
Leslie Allandale: yes, of course
RogueGeek Cooperstone: Exactly
Leslie Allandale: But she controls what happens to it
Callipygian Christensen: /me raises her hand
Leslie Allandale: done
Lilith Ivory: yes Calli?
Callipygian Christensen: Frankly what happened isnt the issue now, so could we focus on what needs to happennow? Gwyn seems to have made it clear she is ready to stop being admin,
Lilith Ivory: I asked this question to Gwyn too
Lilith Ivory: let me please copy /past her answer from my email
Callipygian Christensen: if she hasn't made that decisision then is she going to commit to a) paing attention to e-mail etc and b) actually folowing the law that applies to Forums..
Lilith Ivory: Unfortunately, I won?t be able to make it at noon SLT either ? I might be able to log in for a bit before noon, but I must definitely be out of the house by that time!

As for those two questions, my honest answer is that I?m fine in continuing to hold the old domain names and to host the forums; but I certainly won?t insist in doing either of those, and I will be more than fine to let someone else do them (either of them, or both) from now on!

Note that under normal circumstances I keep forgetting that I?m responsible for either of them, lol ? it?s only when things go wrong that I remember that I?m the one to blame :-) ? or at least to get to fix them!

Cheers and happy meeting tomorrow!

- Gwyn
Callipygian Christensen: if she is no longer going to admin then a) do we have someone able and willing to dothe job and b) do we need a process to find server space etc
Lilith Ivory: are you done Calli? (sorry for interrupting you)
Callipygian Christensen: I guess I am done then, unless I should continuse with my reaction to that answer.
Lilith Ivory: yes feel free to do so if you like :)
Callipygian Christensen: as per CDSL 23-04 Forum Act, I resquest that the SC vote on removal and replacement of the current Forums Adminstrator.
Leslie Allandale: Raises hand
Lilith Ivory: SC members first as this is a structured discussion
Callipygian Christensen: (and we cannot vote or pass it now, but that put it out for actual discussion to proceed)
Soro Dagostino: Second, for discussion
Lilith Ivory: I totally agree
Lilith Ivory: as said before this topic will keep us busy for quite a while
Lilith Ivory: Coop?
RogueGeek Cooperstone: I agree with Calli
RogueGeek Cooperstone: We have been putting this off, and now we are getting nto a corner
Lilith Ivory: could you please stay out of my IM while I try to focus on this discussiojn here Leslie?
Lilith Ivory: what did you want to say?
Lilith Ivory: Leslie?
Leslie Allandale: Sorry
Leslie Allandale: I will let you go
Lilith Ivory: feel free to speak if it is significant for this discussion
Leslie Allandale: The motion should be replacing the admin for slcds.info, as forums is just a subdomain
RogueGeek Cooperstone: Lil?
Leslie Allandale: i have been admin for domains since 1990s
Lilith Ivory: yes Coop?
Leslie Allandale: But very sorry for the annoyance.
RogueGeek Cooperstone: We do have a supermajority
Soro Dagostino: A bight lite comes On!
Soro Dagostino: I vote for Leslie.
Lilith Ivory: sorry I got distracted :)
RogueGeek Cooperstone: so we can vote now if needs be, and I also think we need a bit of discussion before we jump
Lilith Ivory: didn?t calli say she just made this statement to get the discussion going?
Lilith Ivory: In my opinion we have three options
Callipygian Christensen: No, I said we couldnt vote but was wrong lol
Lilith Ivory: hehe ok :)
Soro Dagostino: Raises hand.
Lilith Ivory: in my opinion we have three options at the moment
Lilith Ivory: first keep Gwyn and leafe all as it is ....
Lilith Ivory: second Mizou has expressed interest to take over the forum
Lilith Ivory: and third something completely different we can figure out
Callipygian Christensen: /me raises her hand for after Soro
RogueGeek Cooperstone: Mizou can't, according to law
Lilith Ivory: I am just stating facts
RogueGeek Cooperstone: I know.
Soro Dagostino: Leslie has the necessary experience, does, or will he run the system?
Leslie Allandale: Admin only owns the rights
Leslie Allandale: The webmaster is responsible for the content and day to day operations.
Lilith Ivory: are you done Soro and Les?
Leslie Allandale: If we don't need a vote today, I will be glad to be part of the discussion
Leslie Allandale: The admin is not really responsible for the day to day, so Gwen can stay as admin if she is trustworthy
Callipygian Christensen: /me looks at Leslie
Callipygian Christensen: The motion was to remove and replace - so I think that is where our discussion goes.
RogueGeek Cooperstone: /me raises hand
Leslie Allandale: I suggest that gwen stay, if she wants, for the time being, and Mizou be web-mistress.
Leslie Allandale: done
Lilith Ivory: are you done Calli?
Callipygian Christensen: Still waiting for my turn after Soro
Soro Dagostino: Done.
Lilith Ivory: Calli :)
Callipygian Christensen: Thankyou
Callipygian Christensen: Gwyn has stated that she only pays attention when things go wrong - in this case the potetial loss of the domain anme completely. I don't find that dpendable or trustworthy - not a judgement on Gwyn, but if you clearly know you arent doing the job then yes, saying someone else could is a good thing
Lilith Ivory: /me nods
Callipygian Christensen: In this case Gwyn *should* have contacted Lilith right away, but as is so often the case, just ignored the law and did as she decided was best..
Callipygian Christensen: and ignoring the law is also what Leslie is suggesting..
Callipygian Christensen: (interesting that Cleo was mentioned earlier - since ignoring the laws was the key issue of so much of the sotmu und drang back then)..
Callipygian Christensen: so..lets appply and follow the law, by identifying who is willing and able to act as admn..
Lilith Ivory: /me applauds to Calli
Callipygian Christensen: identify what is needed for server space..
Callipygian Christensen: and start the process of transferring the duties.
Callipygian Christensen: ok..done
Lilith Ivory: thank you Calli
Lilith Ivory: Coop?
RogueGeek Cooperstone: I was going to say a few similar comments
RogueGeek Cooperstone: While I appreciate the fact Gwyn has been willing to host the forum...
RogueGeek Cooperstone: We should have it hosted somewhere professionally, so that anyone can access it 24/7
RogueGeek Cooperstone: We have laws that were rewritten not so long ago, and they should be followed.
Soro Dagostino: I'll be back to follow this, local emergency, RL
RogueGeek Cooperstone: I saw we thank Gwyn for her service, and swiftly find a replacement
RogueGeek Cooperstone: *say
RogueGeek Cooperstone: I'd also like to find a way to take care of the domain registration so it can be paid by the treasury
RogueGeek Cooperstone: Done.
Lilith Ivory: thank you Coop
Leslie Allandale: Raises hand
Lilith Ivory: our law says: the admin may be replaced without cause, by the following process:
The Chancellor, or a simple majority of the RA, may request that a new Administrator be appointed. Such a replacement will occur if the members of the SC, by super majority vote, agree to such replacement. The Dean or any member of the SC may also request removal of the Administrator. A super majority vote of the SC is necessary for removal to occur.
The current Administrator will be given 3 months notice of the replacement. It is expected that the 3 month period will be used to ensure a smooth transition to the new Administrator.
Lilith Ivory: do I have a motion and a second to replace Gwyn as administrator already?
Callipygian Christensen: I believe so but will happilly remotion with inclusion of 'without cause' if desired
Lilith Ivory: /me smiles nd gives calli the floor
Callipygian Christensen: I move that the aAdministrator of the Forums be removed and replaced, without cause, and with 3 months transitional time as per the law.
Lilith Ivory: I personally would prefer not to tie us at this 3 month clause as we all know how CDS works
Lilith Ivory: what do you think?
Callipygian Christensen: I think we follow the law and discuss any possible extension with those involved if needed
Lilith Ivory: good idea
Lilith Ivory: can I have a second please?
RogueGeek Cooperstone: Second
Lilith Ivory: ok now we only have to wait for Soro to come back :)
Lilith Ivory: did anyone in the audience want to say something while we are waiting for Soro to come back?
Soro Dagostino: Back
Lilith Ivory: welcome back Soro :)
Lilith Ivory: we have a motion and a second to replace Gwyn as forum admin
Lilith Ivory: are you ready to vote Soro?
Soro Dagostino: yes
Lilith Ivory: thank you Soro
Lilith Ivory: all in favor say aye please
RogueGeek Cooperstone: Aye
Callipygian Christensen: aye
Lilith Ivory: aye
Soro Dagostino: Aye
Lilith Ivory: motion passes with super majority
Lilith Ivory: thank you
Lilith Ivory: I think the next steps will be to find someone who is willing and able to take over Gwyns job
Lilith Ivory: I think it will be a good idea to discuss this in SC discussion at the forum
Callipygian Christensen: Well no real need to discuss until you identify some potetnial candidates I think?
Lilith Ivory: I agree
Callipygian Christensen: Until there is a potential candidate or candidates, that people are inquiring or being asked should be a confidential matter.
Lilith Ivory: /me nods in agreement
Callipygian Christensen: ok..I'd like to get going and wish Canada happy birthday
Lilith Ivory: is there anything that needs to be discussed today ?
Lilith Ivory: I was just about to adjourn if there is nothing else urgend that needs to be discussed now
Lilith Ivory: Soro ? Coop?
RogueGeek Cooperstone: None from me
Lilith Ivory: if there is nothing more can I have a motion to adjourn?
Lilith Ivory: it?s more than 1 hour already and my head is steaming :)
RogueGeek Cooperstone: So moved
Callipygian Christensen: second and vote aye
Lilith Ivory: aye :)
RogueGeek Cooperstone: Aye
Callipygian Christensen: All those of you from the US, happy 4th if I dont see you before!
Sylvia Tamalyn: happy canada day, calli :)
Lilith Ivory: Happy Canada day :)
Callipygian Christensen: thanks!
Soro Dagostino: Aye
Lilith Ivory: I?ll send out an emial about a next meeting and would ask all of you to think about potential candidates to take over Gwyns job
Lilith Ivory: I calll this meeting for adjourned

I now lay down the command of my legions and retire to private life. Marcus Licinius Crassus

Return to “Scientific Council Announcements”