Presentation on Virtual Worlds Best Practices in Education

Announcements of activities and events in CDS.

Moderator: SC Moderators

Gwyneth Llewelyn
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Presentation on Virtual Worlds Best Practices in Education

Post by Gwyneth Llewelyn »

Hi!

Virtual Worlds Best Practices in Education (VWBPE) is probably one of the largest academic conferences held simultaneously in Second Life and OpenSimulator. There are a handful of rather good annual conferences these days (I tend to attend three of them semi-regularly).

This year, my submission to do a presentation on Real Democracy in a Virtual World was accepted. It will be held on Friday, March 20th, 2015, at 5 PM SLT (Europeans: remember that the US has already changed their hour! We Europeans will only catch up again by the end of the month). Attendance is free, you can get landmarks from the website, or search for VWBPE on the Map.

As you might imagine from the title, it is a presentation about the CDS. Unlike McKnight's very pessimistic A Failure of Convivencia: Democracy and Discourse Conflicts in a Virtual Government, which specifically analyses the failed CDS/Al Andaluz merger, I suggest a different approach to analysing the CDS. My presentation is the basis of an article being currently under review for the Journal of Virtual Studies (not yet accepted). So, yes, it's not 'merely an opinion' (I reserve 'opinions' for my own blog :) ), but a peer-reviewed scientific article. But obviously the purpose of an academic conference is for the audience to provide feedback and criticism on the presented ideas (scientists are skeptic!), so you're quite welcome to attend :)

VWBPE holds a very precisely orchestrated conference. I'm more familiar with 'looser' environments where the presenter has some margin to speak more freely and improvise a lot, depending also on the feedback of the audience. Instead, they opt for a fail-proof system, where slides and text chat is used in conjunction with voice. Because voice can fail so often (it's certainly the case with my crazy setup!), which ruins a presentation, the organisation actually prefers text (while a staff member is reading out loud the text chat from a teleprompter, for those who prefer to listen to voice). Therefore the presentations also usually take an hour (text is slower than chat), but I hope to finish it a bit earlier to give an opportunity for the audience to participate as well. Honestly, this is the first academic conference I participate in where I had more than 20 minutes to present my arguments :) Then again, I understand that text chat makes things way slower...

There is a strict etiquette for participation. Remember, this is an academic conference — a formal affair, as formal as our RA sessions — and you're supposed to comply with those rules. Most are common sense, but for us CDS citizens, used to have a little leeway in the way we participate in our own democratic debates (even those which are more formal), there might be a certain feeling of 'constraint' which might be cumbersome to others. A typical example, if you totally disagree with the speaker, standing out and yelling out loud 'THIS IS SO STUPID! I DISAGREE!!' and throwing tomatoes at the presenter is definitely not acceptable behaviour :)

"I'm not building a game. I'm building a new country."
  -- Philip "Linden" Rosedale, interview to Wired, 2004-05-08

PGP Fingerprint: CE8A 6006 B611 850F 1275 72BA D93E AA3D C4B3 E1CB

Rosie Gray
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Re: Presentation on Virtual Worlds Best Practices in Educati

Post by Rosie Gray »

Very interesting Gwyn. Sorry I won't be able to attend; I would if I wasn't expecting guests. Will there be another opportunity to read your presentation?

"Courage, my friend, it's not too late to make the world a better place."
~ Tommy Douglas
Widget Whiteberry
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Widget Whiteberry »

In my calendar, thank you.
edited to add: the entire calendar for program, which begins tomorrow, Wednesday, is here http://vwbpe.org/conference/vwbpe-2015-calendar. Ebbe Linden will deliver the keynote.

Gwyneth Llewelyn
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Rosie, I'm assuming so — after all, I understand that everything is going to be transcripted, and the article, after it gets approved for publication, will be free to download.

However, I'll be asking the organisation if I'm allowed to distribute everything :) (I haven't read the small print!) Usually, I'd post the presentation on SlideShare, for example, and possibly links to the whole text to somewhere.

And yes, it will be interesting — while I'm not avoiding the 'dark side' of the CDS :-) (like McKnight did) I'm certainly focusing on its truly positive aspects, which are way more important for me than the rest. Still, I never promise to be totally unbiased :)

Gwyneth Llewelyn
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

... also, I admit a took a small gamble :D I assumed that the CDS, after a decade, and surviving so many 'crisis', would have conveyed to its citizens the advantages of using democracy for overall management and conflict resolution, and that this would go on and on (basically forever, or until SL is shut down :) ), even if 'democracy' gets re-interpreted to suit the wishes of its current citizens. I'd still consider it a 'democracy' if there is an opposition that can be theoretically voted into office (even if in practice it might never happen) and free speech — under such a 'free' definition of democracy, I consider Putin's model of government for Russia still a democracy. That would be, however, at the 'lowest end' for a democracy, i.e. one where its government is actively suppressing ways of allowing the opposition to be voted into office. In other words, I think that if Putin retired from politics, there is a small chance that someone from the opposition might get elected. While he's alive and active in politics, that chance is practically zero and free speech is partially suppressed (but not totally so), but elections are still held... even if the results are predictable :)

At the CDS, we're by far not that 'low' in the scale, and I consider that it's impossible for the CDS to get that far.

But... I might be proven wrong :)

Josie Fotherington
Pundit
Pundit

Post by Josie Fotherington »

Gwyneth Llewelyn wrote:

There is a strict etiquette for participation. Remember, this is an academic conference — a formal affair, as formal as our RA sessions — and you're supposed to comply with those rules. Most are common sense, but for us CDS citizens, used to have a little leeway in the way we participate in our own democratic debates (even those which are more formal), there might be a certain feeling of 'constraint' which might be cumbersome to others. A typical example, if you totally disagree with the speaker, standing out and yelling out loud 'THIS IS SO STUPID! I DISAGREE!!' and throwing tomatoes at the presenter is definitely not acceptable behaviour :)

I haven't witnessed anyone in CDS behaving in this manner, at least not since last October.

“And this also," said Marlow suddenly, "has been one of the dark places of the earth.”
― Joseph Conrad, Heart of Darkness
Widget Whiteberry
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Widget Whiteberry »

Ebbe Altberg's keynote is available on line. He begins 2 min, 37 secs in at https://danielvoyager.wordpress.com/201 ... wbpe-2015/
Among other things, Altberg talks about LL's improving relationships with 'customers' and press. I wonder if we might build on Gwynth's presentation to position CDS 'virtual participatory democracy' as an element of their LL's marketing. I'll be thinking of that possibility when I listen to/read Gwyneth's remarks on Friday.

Return to “Events in CDS”