Floralia 2015

Announcements of activities and events in CDS.

Moderator: SC Moderators

Patroklus Murakami
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Floralia 2015

Post by Patroklus Murakami »

It will soon be time for our spring celebration of 'Floralia'. I'm posting a link to last year's discussion here in order to stimulate discussion before we get a team together to organise it all.

Honi soit qui mal y pense
Coop
Veteran debater
Veteran debater

Re: Floralia 2015

Post by Coop »

That link does not work. perhaps this is what you meant? http://forums.slcds.info/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4491

I now lay down the command of my legions and retire to private life. Marcus Licinius Crassus
Patroklus Murakami
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Thanks Coop. The transcript is helpful for recording what we did last year.

I will try a second time to link to the post I made last year which set out some more aspects of the festival.

http://forum.slcds.info/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4427&sid=f0d10cd179e5e42364702c76301a5277#p22628

Coop
Veteran debater
Veteran debater

Post by Coop »

That link is still broken.

I now lay down the command of my legions and retire to private life. Marcus Licinius Crassus
Callipygian
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Callipygian »

Coop wrote:

That link is still broken.

This may be from a flaw in the forums software that we have yet to find a 'fix'for - for some reason if nothing has been posted within a certain timeframe you get a 'no posts' return in some topics.

Pat is referring to topic heading 'Floralia 2014' which was first created on April 8 2014 by Pat. The post he is referring to is the third or fourth in the thread. The URL for the starting topic post is: http://forums.slcds.info/viewtopic.php? ... ralia+2014

When I load this link in a new tab from this post's preview, it opens.

The following is the link I get to the post I think Pat is referring to - it is quite different from his, but that may be because I came to it through the Search function. Either way, it also opens from the preview page of this post, so I expect will work.

http://forums.slcds.info/viewtopic.php? ... 014#p22628

Calli

People often say that, in a democracy, decisions are made by a majority of the people. Of course, that is not true. Decisions are made by a majority of those who make themselves heard and who vote -- a very different thing.

Walter H. Judd
Patroklus Murakami
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Thanks Coop, Cally

I seem to be having problems with linking to posts in the forums (seems to be worse on my mac laptop). I also find that I get logged out of the forums *every* time I use them and have to log back in again. (Windows seems to behave better). Sorry for the inconvenience.

Now that working links have been provided, any ideas about Floralia this year? If we aim for the weekend of 9-10 May we could plan some activities this week and then finalise details in a planning meeting next weekend.

Callipygian
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Callipygian »

From Wikipedia:

In 30 AD, the entertainments at the Floralia presented under the emperor Galba featured a tightrope-walking elephant.

I vote for including a tightrope-walking elephant!

Calli

People often say that, in a democracy, decisions are made by a majority of the people. Of course, that is not true. Decisions are made by a majority of those who make themselves heard and who vote -- a very different thing.

Walter H. Judd
Guillaume Mistwalker
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Guillaume Mistwalker »

The traditional symbols of this holiday include more than just flowers. In terms of animals, bunnies and foxes are associated with the holiday.

Gaius Nebuliens Curio (Guillaume Mistwalker)
si enim pecunias aequari non placet, si ingenia omnium paria esse non possunt, iura certe paria debent esse eorum inter se, qui sunt cives in eadem re publica. (Cic. De Rep. 1.32.49)
Patroklus Murakami
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

We seem to be competing with a fair few RL activities this weekend. It's Mothers' Day in the U.S. on Sunday and the commemoration of the end of the Second World War in Europe.

We will rez a Temple to Flora where CDS citizens can leave floral tributes and a sculpture of hares - one of the traditional fertility symbols of the holiday.

If anyone would like to come forward to host an event in keeping with the theme then please let a member of the Exec Team know if you would like some help to set up or to publicise it.

Return to “Events in CDS”