Road Committee Work

Forum to discuss and coordinate the expansion of the CDS and the redevelopment of existing territories.

Moderator: SC Moderators

Guillaume Mistwalker
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Road Committee Work

Post by Guillaume Mistwalker »

The Road Committee is working on three large-scale projects involving roads in the CDS.
1.) Naming Roads which are unnamed
2.) Giving Addresses to parcels in all sims, except NFS (which has them)
3.) Making Road Signage
4.) Changing and Overseeing Existing Roads

Members of the committee include, at the time of my writing, Gaius Tiberius Curio, Em Warden, and Rosie Gray.

1. NAMING ROADS
The Road Committee is working chronologically from oldest to youngest sim to name major and minor roads, alleys, and paths in the CDS. The order is: Alpine Meadows, Monastery, Locus Amoenus, and Friedsee.

Each region will use a specific naming convention based on the local language of the region which was the inspiration for each of these sims. In Alpine Meadow, we will use standard German; Monastery, French; Locus Amoenus, Italian; and Friedsee, Swiss German. Roads will be named from a mixture of inspirations. Some will be named from RL streets, others from natural phenomena from the sim, others from major RL historical figures, and a rare few from historical and major CDS citizens.

The Road Committee will come up with a few suggestions for each road in each sim and will solicit suggestions and opinions from local residents. The committee will translate those names or inspirations into the region's "language," and publish the list of suggestions before a public meeting is held. The public meeting will decide the final name suggestion, before a list of all suggestions is taken to the RA for ratification OR is changed, if the RA delegates power to the committee.

2. GIVING ADDRESSES
Using each region's naming convention, the committee will go region by region to give public and private parcels their own addresses. Addresses will be given to reflect and to respect zoning designations for the covenants. (For example, the zone might be included in the address itself as a sort of "postal code.")

3. MAKING ROAD SIGNAGE
Using each region's unofficial flags, the committee will then determine how to make signage and how to update signage in NFS. Signage should prioritise road names, but also come with some directional signs to major landmarks, as well. In addition, they should be made of reduced prims, like mesh or convex mesh. In addition, some major roads may receive an alphanumeric code to designate it as a "national" road. Finally, signs for specific addresses, like those found on some NFS buildings and fachwerken, should be made available for CDS residents free of charge.

4. CHANGING EXISTING ROADS
Some have made suggestions on changing road names (such as changing the portion of Kendrastrasse which goes up to the Schloss to "Baroninstrasse," after Kendra's royal title), as well as overseeing the management of roads in NFS and CN.

Gaius Nebuliens Curio (Guillaume Mistwalker)
si enim pecunias aequari non placet, si ingenia omnium paria esse non possunt, iura certe paria debent esse eorum inter se, qui sunt cives in eadem re publica. (Cic. De Rep. 1.32.49)
Guillaume Mistwalker
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Re: Road Committee Work

A survey has been sent out for residents of Alpine Meadow (AM) to complete and hand back to me, specifying two or three name suggestions for roads in their sim. I have asked they be completed by Saturday, but I have already received a few back.

After I have received the last ones by Saturday, I will send out the list to the committee and we will provide a shortlist for a public meeting to come up with our final suggestions to present to the RA.

si enim pecunias aequari non placet, si ingenia omnium paria esse non possunt, iura certe paria debent esse eorum inter se, qui sunt cives in eadem re publica. (Cic. De Rep. 1.32.49)
Guillaume Mistwalker
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

I have scheduled a meeting for the Road Committee to discuss the results of a residents' survey of Alpine Meadow and to come up with a report of road name suggestions to the RA.

http://forums.slcds.info/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8207

Agenda for the Road Committee's Regional Committee on Alpine Meadow
3 September 2017 at 10:00am SLT
http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/A ... 122/136/79

1) Administrative Business (5 minutes)

1a) Discussion of Purpose of the Committee & History

1b) Organisation and Work Plan of the Committee

1c) Naming Convention for Alpine Meadow

2) Results of Region-wide Survey (15 minutes)

2a) Roads to be named

2b) Total List of Suggestions

2c) Committee's officers' shortlist

2d) Error with Survey: one road missed, but a suggestion

3) Voting & Discussion on Names (30 minutes)

4) Final: Name Suggestions Report to the RA (10 minutes)

Guillaume Mistwalker
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

The public meeting for Alpine Meadow has come up with the following list of names based on consensus voting in the meeting:

#1: Spitzkehrweg (Switchback Way)
#2: Sonnenallee (Sun Alley)
#3: Südlicher Torweg (Southern Gateway)
#4: Rosies Hinterhäuser (Rosie's Mews)
#5: Pips Versteck (Pip's Hideaway)

There was one road which was missed in the creation of the map and of the survey. (mea maxima culpa)

Unnumbered Street: Vergessene Straße (Forgotten Street)

Bagheera
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Bagheera »

I recommend using only those alphabetical characters on the standard US keyboard for the actual names.

If one wants to make graphic signs with extended keyboard characters included for the charm of it, I could see that; but the perceived charm of characters from numerous extended international alphabets will quickly wear off when people need to type them repeatedly, especially if you want people to actually use the names in daily chat.

I say this as someone who took affront when the state of California had a brief "English only" phase where they removed the tilde from the name of my alma mater, so I do understand the importance and historical significance of words- but I also appreciate the frustration of trying to find the right character that isn't part of my standard keyboard's alphabet.

If we had a population that was mostly from a region with a different alphabet, I would gladly acquiesce to THAT norm, recognizing that was the lingua franca, but to mix up alphabets based on which sim one is in, in my opinion, is not user friendly.

Usually I Dislike a Cloud Sky
Tonight I Realize That a Cloud Sky
Makes Me Appreciate the Light of the Moon
- impromptu poem composed by Gen'i
as depicted in Yoshitoshi's 100 Aspects of the Moon
Sudane Erato
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Sudane Erato »

I'm somewhat inclined to agree with Bags... though I fear that this opinion goes strongly against the wave of custom in SL these days. The onslaught of displaynames using unpronounceable characters from the higher ASCII set of characters is all-pervasive.

To actually use the characters in an english language keyboard one must keep open their ASCII chart ( https://www.ascii-code.com/ ) and when it comes time to write Strasse, one needs to type StraALT-0223e Straße (is that correct?). Now, perhaps, granted, we are an international community, so the result here is that english speakers discover what speakers of other languages have had to do all along... type characters which are not on their keyboards. Indeed, I'm often talking with friends in Europe, so burned into my brain are € ( ALT-0128 ) and £ ( ALT-0163).

The other possibility, of course, is that we go the way of spanglish, so that each person makes their own "dialect" of translations, depending on their language of origin and the keyboard in front of them... which is my I always type Sudanestrasse or Haley Linden Strasse. Other language speakers might render the same names using their normal keyboard characters, and over time, like spanglish, people understand each other.

An interesting problem!

Sudane......................

*** Confirmed Grump ***
Profile: http://bit.ly/p9ASqg
Tanoujin Milestone
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Tanoujin Milestone »

In fact there is a convention how to write the special characters in Ascii 7-bit, at least in German - I am quite sure that exists in French and Italian too.
There was a time when only Ascii 7 machines were around, some of us may remember green letters on black tubular screens ;), the typewriter-era...
So ss for ß is absolutely correct. The transcription for ü is ue and for ä is ae.

So "Straße" becomes "Strasse"
"Südlicher" becomes "Suedlicher" (ü/ue pronounced like the y in mystery)
and "Hinterhäuser" becomes "Hinterhaeuser" (äu / aeu pronounced like the oy in boy)

So this would be the official 7-bit version and thereby understood and accepted by the native speakers

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Ian Maclaren
Rosie Gray
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Rosie Gray »

Great discussion about alphabet! I would have no problem with the use of the alpha from the language set that the regional names are reflecting (aka German for NFS, Italian for LA, etc.) for road names, but I would really hate for us to go the way of the ASCII where it ends up some fanciful curlicues rather than actual words in some real actual language, as some folks do with their display names.

At any rate, when are we meeting next as a committee?

"Courage, my friend, it's not too late to make the world a better place."
~ Tommy Douglas
Mizou Vavoom
Veteran debater
Veteran debater

Post by Mizou Vavoom »

Just adding my twopence here: if graphics are needed for street names, house numbers I would glady create those.

'Egidius, waer bestu bleven, mi lanct na di, gheselle mijn. Du coors die doot, du liets mi tleven. Dat was gheselscap, goet ende fijn.'
Gruuthuuse-handschrift -circa 1400
Guillaume Mistwalker
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

The Road Committee met on Sunday to discuss the results of the public vote. The results were:
1. for the main road, Rue du Soleil
2. for the road to the Monastery, Chemin du Vieux Cloître
3. for the road to parcel Hamlet 1, Route de l'Ermitage

Mizou Vavoom wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:41 am

Just adding my twopence here: if graphics are needed for street names, house numbers I would glady create those.

Please, Mizou! Rosie and I had some ideas for road sign designs.

Mizou Vavoom
Veteran debater
Veteran debater

Post by Mizou Vavoom »

Guillaume Mistwalker wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:33 pm

The Road Committee met on Sunday to discuss the results of the public vote. The results were:
1. for the main road, Rue du Soleil
2. for the road to the Monastery, Chemin du Vieux Cloître
3. for the road to parcel Hamlet 1, Route de l'Ermitage

Mizou Vavoom wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:41 am

Please, Mizou! Rosie and I had some ideas for road sign designs.

Ok please let me know what you would like, I am home this coming weekend.

'Egidius, waer bestu bleven, mi lanct na di, gheselle mijn. Du coors die doot, du liets mi tleven. Dat was gheselscap, goet ende fijn.'
Gruuthuuse-handschrift -circa 1400

Return to “Sim and City Planning”