Al Andalus expansion proposal March 2009

Forum to discuss and coordinate the expansion of the CDS and the redevelopment of existing territories.

Moderator: SC Moderators

Jamie Palisades
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Al Andalus expansion proposal March 2009

Post by Jamie Palisades »

One of the two standing proposals CDS had received for adding sims is the suggestion that we join with the Al Andalus estate. Prior discussion of the proposal occurs in several places, including here. Advantages to CDS of returning to this proposal would include:

* A fully realized and themed estate with first-class builds, strong publicity and a vital cultural life. (In fact, the number of subscribers in the interest-group SL list for AA, a year old, is about triple the size of our 5 year old fan-club list.)
* A provable track record of positive cash flow and well rented space. Thus, little or no need for new tenants to make the combined estate feasible.
* Strong pre-existing ties between the two communities.

Here are the steps I expect we will take:

* I have read in detail the financial figures and rent rolls for the rentable AA estate. They are confidential, for the same privacy and other reasons we keep that data confidential in CDS. I would like to ask AA to share those detailed numbers also with Sudane, under similar confidentiality conditions, so that she also may confirm to CDS that the rental situation there looks reasonable positive and feasible.

* The disposition of AA's openspace sims (as opposed to its two main rented sims) also must be addressed. AA holds several of them as rented space, and several under special reduced rates as a nonprofit organization. I expect that our proposal to AA (see below) will (a) include picking up the rented openspace sims (as that's a net positive to CDS), and be part of Sudane's exam; and (b) depending on GMP feedback and the financial cost, include taking the option on some of the unused voids, to fill a few of the places we now expect to have CDS buffer voids in the GMP. (See the 'pelagic' spaces on the old and new GMP maps.)

* If I can obtain confirmation from Sudane of the rent roll stability, by 6 April, I will plan to bring legislation to the RA posted on 7 April, for its initial consideration at its meeting tentatively set for 12 April (see footnote 1). I expect that legislation would include:
-- The exact terms;
-- Bringing all of AA under CDS administration and law;
-- Adjustment of CDS law to permit the market/souk rental (non-owner-operated) activity currently used in AA;
-- Ownership details for the AA sims, in which the current nonprofit status would be maintained to preserve the low rates, but made subject to control by (but not merge with) our current estate ownership arrangements (see footnote 2);
-- Continuation of the current rental rates for the new properties, but subject to a later 6 month vote or referenda (see footnote 3);
-- Confirmation from CDS to the AA community that
(a) changes to major structures or the theme will not occur and are subject to the same protections afforded our existing themes under CDS law,
(b) a number of RA members will be added based on the then-qualified number of AA residents (calculated under CDS rules), eliminating CDS duplications (but in no case less than two), filled by special election by the AA residents to serve the remainder of the current RA term, and
(c) CDS will initiate one of its new local sim event programming panels for the AA estate;
-- Confirmation from AA to CDS of any known tenant losses expected as a result of the estate combination.
-- No relocation of the AA estate at this time, but a contingent delayed relocation plan bringing both estates together in a place (on the absolute LL map) that preserves expansion possibilities and publicity advantages, based on a 6 month vote or referenda (see footnote 3);
-- written confirmation from AA; and
-- a schedule, with deadlines that will terminate the transaction if not met.

Regards JP

[footnote 1] I expect this process will take longer than a single RA meeting, but propose to bring a drafted bill to the tentative 12 April meeting. I will also propose a town hall schedule, and a deadline for final action likely within a month, at that time, so that we do not get locked into one of the "ancien regime" CDS extended gabfests. Of course, it's also possible that the AA owners will have their own requirements or deadlines; I haven't explored that with them.

[footnote 2] It may be that CDS will itself want to take advantage of the nonprofit Linden rates, but that would require more corporate activity than I believe we should attempt on a short schedule. I expect that latter topic to be a point of discussion later this year. For now, it should suffice to have the nonprofit entity that owns AA under the practical control of known trustees, rather like (and I'd expect including) Sudane and her current role in CDS.

[footnote 3] As part of this legislation I expect to propose two delayed actions. One, to be held at the same time as the next CDS general election (roughly July 2009), is an RA vote to move the two parcels to contiguous space. I will propose that the current RA initiate that motion, and choose whether to submit the question to a referenda during the general election. The second, which I will propose to be considered by the new RA after that election, is a unification of rent rates (on a per prim) basis across all then-CDS estates including AA. I do not think that we should consider a change to AA rates immediately, as a stable rent roll is a primary factor in our planning.

== My Second Life home is CDS. Retired after three terms
== as chancellor of the oldest self-governing sims in SL.
Jamie Palisades
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Al Andalus expansion proposal: plan timing

As Moon reminds us, the next RA meeting will be on the 19th nor the 12th. So that rolls back our plans a week, and I will plan to post draft legislation by the 13th. Same schedule with the Virtus new sim proposal.
Rose did indeed provide the data, and Sudane is kindly reviewing the confidential detailed AA rent financials for feasibility. As I reported last week, that conversation should inform any draft legislation and plans.
Regards JP

Jamie Palisades
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Al Andalus expansion proposal (draft legislation)

Here's the form of bill I expect to recommend to the CDS RA on Al-Andalus, subject to comment from stakeholders.
Note: "subject to comment." Multiple parties must be generally satisfied with this, for it to succeed.

FIRST DRAFT

Resolved
CDS extends an offer to merge with the Al Andalus estates on the following terms and with the following conditions.

1. The six Al Andalus sims will become CDS territory on acceptance of this offer; all land owning residents of AA will become CDS citizens, and land, rentals and administration of AA assets will be the responsibility of the established structures in the CDS government.

2. AA's SL groups will be maintained and administratively supported by CDS government, including the public interest lists; members of those lists amy also be invited as appropriate to join other CDS groups. The exception is that SL groups used for land administration (in other words, government, not citizen groups) may be altered and consolidated.

3. AA sims will be maintained in their current nonprofit status, and at their current basis for rents and pricing, for one year after acceptance, so long as the Linden sim tier prices applicable to them do not change. All AA community builds will be subject to CDS law regarding community assets and theme build protection.

4. The CDS RA will be increased by a number equal to the higher of
* (a) two, or
* (b) the number of additional members that would be added to the RA under CDS law by reason of the additional number of citizens added under Para 1 above (in other words, eliminating CDS-AA resident duplications).
The vacant positions will be filled by special election by AA residents joining CDS, to serve the remainder of the current RA term.

5. The estate owner for the AA Sims for the first year will be nominated by AA, and afterwards by the usual CDS government methods; provided that
* (a) that EO must act as an officer of a new nonprofit organization to be established to be the holder of record, using two nominees from CDS and two nominees from AA as the nominal organizers, and the CDS chancellor (by virtue of office) as presiding director;
* (b) that EO agrees to report to and take the instructions of the CDS government under the same terms as the current CDS EO; and
* (c) that EO and those nominal organizers agree to cooperate with the affiliation or merger of the new AA nonprofit organiazation, with a later new CDS nonprofit organization, if at a later time the CDS by legislation elects to subject the ownership of its other CDS sims to control by a nonprofit organizations.

6. CDS will open a funded local sim event programming panel, on the same terms to be used for other CDS communities, for the AA estate.

7. This offer will remain open for 45 days from the date this resolution is adopted. AA may accept by its current EO so stating in writing, so long as he/she also confirms:
(a) that there are not a substantial number of AA residents (10% or more) who have indicated the intent to leave AA at the time of combination, and
(b) that a specific map of the combined CDS-AA sim territories, which has been given preliminary approval by the RA, is also acceptable to AA.
CDS and AA will submit a territory sim join request to Linden Lab when and if that acceptance and confirmation from AA is received by CDS within the allotted time.

DRAFT ENDS
===

C O M M E N T S:
Here are the matters we've previously discussed, and their proposed disposition.

>> The exact terms;
>> -- Bringing all of AA under CDS administration and law;

Done by the resolution. See para 1.

>> -- Adjustment of CDS law to permit the market/souk rental (non-owner-operated)
>> activity currently used in AA;

Proves unnecessary. There are no souk owners who are not either AA or CDS citizens at present. I think we still should act on this, for CDS vitality, but do not need to do so in connection with the AA proposal.

>> -- Ownership details for the AA sims, in which the current nonprofit status would be
>> maintained to preserve the low rates, but made subject to control by (but not merge
>> with) our current estate ownership arrangements.

Done by the resolution. See para 5. The AA EO can be but need not be the same as the current CDS EO. The AA EO must agree both to take direction from CDS gov't, and also to be an agent or officer of the new nonprofit (which also will be directed by the CDS gov't).

>> -- Continuation of the current rental rates for the new properties, but subject to a later
>> 6 month vote or referenda (see footnote 3);

I changed this to one year freeze unless Lindens change their rates. See para 3. Per the data previously shared with the RA, we have confirmed that the rates for AA are not too different from the range of rates in CDS now .. and that rent harmonization across CDS will be a time-consuming project, worth consideration but not immediately achievable.

>> -- Confirmation from CDS to the AA community that
>> (a) changes to major structures or the theme will not occur and are subject to the same
>> protections afforded our existing themes under CDS law,

Done by the resolution. See para 3.

>> (b) a number of RA members will be added based on the then-qualified number of AA
>> residents (calculated under CDS rules), eliminating CDS duplications (but in no case less
>> than two), filled by special election by the AA residents to serve the remainder of the
>> current RA term, and

Done by the resolution. See para 4.

>> (c) CDS will initiate one of its new local sim event programming panels for the AA estate;

Done by the resolution. See para 6.

>> -- Confirmation from AA to CDS of any known tenant losses expected as a result of the
>> estate combination.

Done by the resolution as a closing condition for AA to confirm. See para 7.

>> -- No relocation of the AA estate at this time, but a contingent delayed relocation plan
>> bringing both estates together in a place (on the absolute LL map) that preserves
>> expansion possibilities and publicity advantages, based on a 6 month vote or referenda

Not done. Instead this proposes that we merge physically, based on any one of the Guild plans that the RA blesses and AA selects.

>> -- written confirmation from AA; and

Done by the resolution. See para 7.

>> - a schedule, with deadlines that will terminate the transaction if not met.

Done by the resolution. See para 7.

Regards JP

Last edited by Jamie Palisades on Wed May 06, 2009 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sonja Strom
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Re: Al Andalus expansion proposal (draft legislation)

Post by Sonja Strom »

It is clear you have put a lot of work into this Jamie - thank you. This draft looks good to me.

In item 2 there is a typo: "...members of those lists amy..." Somebody on your mind? :)

In regard to this section:

Jamie Palisades wrote:

5. The estate owner for the AA Sims for the first year will be nominated by AA, and afterwards by the usual CDS government methods; provided that
* (a) that EO must act as an officer of a new nonprofit organization to be established to be the holder of record, using two nominees from CDS and two nominees from AA as the nominal organizers, and the CDS chancellor (by virtue of office) as presiding director;
* (b) that EO agrees to report to and take the instructions of the CDS government under the same terms as the current CDS EO; and
* (c) that EO and those nominal organizers agree to cooperate with the affiliation or merger of the new AA nonprofit organiazation, with a later new CDS nonprofit organization, if at a later time the CDS by legislation elects to subject the ownership of its other CDS sims to control by a nonprofit organizations.

I have a couple of questions about the Estate Owner (EO) for AA. One is, in this agreement would the Estate Owner be chosen for exactly one year by the residents of AA? If so, would that take place before or after AA would join with the CDS?

Jamie Palisades
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Al Andalus proposal - a draft is a draft

We're continuing to get comments from both CDS and AA about the first draft of the proposed bill I posted. Personally I think it's a good starting point ... um, perhaps I am influenced by being the author ... but please bear in mind that it is not finished yet.
Stakeholders i both the AA and CDS communities are likely to have input that will and should change this.
I'd encourage people to make concrete and action-oriented feedback, and post it, if they have some.
Also, bear in mind: if the CDS RA approves it, it still only can be an offer from CDS, for AA to accept or reject. Mergers of this kind require a reasonably broad consensus to thrive. Not total agreement -- we all are human, and err, and also always will have a few folks with strong contrarian opinions of their own -- but at least, a widespread spirit of positive cooperation and a good shared future.
Regards JP

Bromo Ivory
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Re: Al Andalus expansion proposal March 2009

Post by Bromo Ivory »

*De Lurk*

Heya everyone! I think this is a great idea - expansion by merger should be considered very seriously. I think ti was anticipated in one form by the Franchulate(sp?) laws passed awhile ago, though this would be quite large.

Given the underlying philosophy of governance is similar in outlook it could be a good merger. I am glad this possibility was brought forward.

I think it would nearly double the CDS which is quite exciting! :)

==
"Nenia peno nek provo donos lakton de bovo."

Ranma Tardis

Post by Ranma Tardis »

Tried reading the proposal and it is more complex than the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act!

The only requirement to get this through is a passing vote of the RA? What happens to the residents who disagree?

Sonja Strom
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Sonja Strom »

Hi Ranma :)

Are you a resident of the CDS again?

Jamie Palisades
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Al Andalus expansion proposal (Second draft)

This is a revised draft based on feedback from both CDS and AA stakeholders. Comment is welcome.

For my part, I believe it is ready to be adopted, and will recommend that the RA approve both this offer
and (see separate thread) the Monastery expansion, at the same time. We are unlikely to see any other such relatively low-risk opportunities for high-quality expansion in the near future. I have several comments about this, at the end of the revised draft.

= = = =
SECOND DRAFT
(changes from the first draft are marked with [brackets] )

Resolved
CDS extends an offer to merge with the Al Andalus estates on the following terms and with the following conditions.

1. The six Al Andalus sims and four CDS sims will merge as one territory on acceptance of this offer by AA's managers; all land owning residents of AA will become CDS citizens, and land, rentals and administration of AA assets will be the responsibility of the established structures in the CDS government.

2. AA's SL groups will be maintained and administratively supported by CDS government, including the public interest lists; members of those lists may also be invited as appropriate to join other CDS groups. The exception is that SL groups used for land administration (in other words, government, not citizen groups) may be altered and consolidated.

3. [As a project operated in Linden Lab's "Educational sim" class, AA sims may only be transferred to another duly qualified nonprofit organization.] AA sims will be maintained in their current nonprofit status, and [transferred to a new nonprofit organization as stated in paragraph 5.]

The AA sims will remain at their current rents, tier and pricing, for one year after acceptance, so long as the Linden sim tier prices applicable to them do not change. [See Section 8 also, regarding the first year of the merged estates.]

[Public land and buildings in AA shall become the property of CDS.] All AA community builds will be subject to CDS law regarding community assets and theme build protection for AA's recreation of 13th century Arabic Granada, Spain. [AA makes no representation that such structures will be available as copies for archive purposes, but will
take reasonable steps, without incurring new expense, to supply archived copies and content where such exist. CDS agrees to take reasonable steps, without incurring new expense, to support the maintenance and operation of such buildings.]

[CDS government and AA management each warrant that they are aware of no present nonconforming builds or covenant violations on the AA sims. All building, structure and style terms of the present AA covenant will be retained.]

* (a) two, or
* (b) the number of additional members that would be added to the RA under CDS law by reason of the additional number of citizens added under Para 1 above.

[In calculating that number, (a) each new CDS citizen from AA will be counted, plus (b) any "converting dual citizens." A "converting dual citizen" is a current CDS citizen who wishes to designate AA's sims as their primary residence within CDS; who does so by informing the CDS chancellor in writing within a reasonably set deadline; and who does not currently serve on the CDS RA.]

The [additional] vacant [RA] positions will be filled by [a process designated by AA management, consistent with AA law, from among persons who are (a) new CDS citizens from AA will be counted and (b) any "converting dual citizens."] [The newly selected RA members shall] serve [either (a)] the remainder of the current RA term [or (b), if they are selected less than one month prior to the closing date for RA candidacy in the next RA general election, for the remainder of the current term plus the next term.]

5. [A] new nonprofit organization shall be established to be the sim holder of record, using two nominees from CDS and two nominees from AA as the nominal organizers, and the CDS chancellor (by virtue of office) as a presiding director [or manager, or such other similar arrangement as applicable local law may permit, in a nonprofit company form reasonably acceptable to AA management and the CDS government. That organization shall have the purpose of reporting to, taking direction from and managing for the benefit of the CDS government.]

The estate owner for the AA Sims for the first year will be nominated by AA, [to serve until the eighth calendar day after the one year anniversary of the actual sim relocation,] and afterwards by the usual CDS government methods. The AA EO must (a) act as an officer or agent of the new nonprofit entity; (b) agree to report to and take direction from the CDS government under the same terms as the current CDS EO, subject to the terms explicitly stated in this offer; and (c) agree to cooperate with the affiliation or merger of the new nonprofit entity, with a later new CDS nonprofit organization, if at a later time the CDS by legislation elects to subject the ownership of its other CDS sims to control by a nonprofit organizations.

6. CDS will open a funded local sim event programming panel, on the same terms to be used for other CDS communities, for the AA estate. [CDS government and AA management each warrant that they are aware of no theme, feasibility or appropriateness issues with the cultural and event programming activities presently conducted on ther AA sims. ]

7. This offer will remain open for 60 days from the date this resolution is adopted. AA may accept by its current EO so stating in writing, so long as:
[(a) he/she confirms that] a specific map of the combined CDS-AA sim territories, which has been [approved] by the RA, also is acceptable to AA [; and]
[(b) The CDS government and AA EO are satisfied, at the time of acceptance, that] a substantial number of AA residents [have not] indicated the intent to leave AA at the time of combination.

CDS and AA will submit a territory sim join request to Linden Lab, when and if that acceptance [is received and those conditions are met] within the allotted time. [CDS will pay the applicable sim location transfer fees.]

[8. CDS and AA agree that, on the one year anniversary of the actual sim relocation, and for seven calendar days thereafter, the AA EO may elect after consultation with AA citizens to notify the CDS government
in writing that the AA EO wished to separate the six AA sims from CDS, as a separate estate. Upon receipt of that notice, if it occurs, CDS will give up any rights in control over the AA nonprofit entity and AA EO, and have no further liability for the AA sims, and the AA EO will absolve CDS of any such further liability. If no notice is received
by the end of the seventh calendar day, this option to separate is terminated.

DRAFT ENDS
= = = =

Chancellor's comments:

a. Note that there is a new Section 8 permitting an unwinding of the deal after a year. This was added at the request of AA.

b. This proposal would require the registration of a new nonprofit company, under our control, to be the responsible party for the AA sims, so as to continue to quality for the Linden Lab educational rate. I expect this is possible, along the lines described in the legislation, and anticipate it being formed outside the United States.

c. Sim map options have been developed by the Guild, in consultation with AA, and shown to the AA residents, so I and the Guild has voted to designate all three published maps as acceptable. It remains for the RA to ratify or modify that deciision, and then for AA to also ratify one or more of the proposed plans.

d. The method for counting citizens, in order to elect additional RA members, also has been altered to permit AA to be credited with those dual citizens who prefer to be counted as AA residents. This also was at AA's request.

While this proposal has some complex parts, for an SL transaction. I believe it's the fair way to proceed between open democratic micronations, and look forward to its discussion. Regards JP

Patroklus Murakami
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Re: Al Andalus expansion proposal (Second draft)

Post by Patroklus Murakami »

It's great to see all the work that has been put into developing this proposal and getting it to this stage; Jamie has done a fine job as have the others, in both communities, who have been working to make this a reality. Bringing the AA and CDS communities together in this way would be a superb achievement as we have so much in common and could learn from each other. I am fully in support of bringing this about so please take my critical comments below as constructive questions intended to find the right solution rather than attacks on the idea in principle.

I have a question about the following section:

Jamie Palisades wrote:

* (a) two, or
* (b) the number of additional members that would be added to the RA under CDS law by reason of the additional number of citizens added under Para 1 above.

[In calculating that number, (a) each new CDS citizen from AA will be counted, plus (b) any "converting dual citizens." A "converting dual citizen" is a current CDS citizen who wishes to designate AA's sims as their primary residence within CDS; who does so by informing the CDS chancellor in writing within a reasonably set deadline; and who does not currently serve on the CDS RA.]

The [additional] vacant [RA] positions will be filled by [a process designated by AA management, consistent with AA law, from among persons who are (a) new CDS citizens from AA will be counted and (b) any "converting dual citizens."] [The newly selected RA members shall] serve [either (a)] the remainder of the current RA term [or (b), if they are selected less than one month prior to the closing date for RA candidacy in the next RA general election, for the remainder of the current term plus the next term.]

If I have read this correctly it suggests that the CDS/AA "converting dual citizens" may get two votes - the one they have already cast for the current Representative Assembly and another say in selecting the new AA members. This does not seem fair to me. The principle of 'one person-one avatar-one vote' is one we have previously chosen to uphold when, for example, debating whether alts should be allowed to vote in CDS elections. We need to provide representation for AA when the two communities are joined but this needs to be on a fair basis. We can't have some members of the CDS, by virtue of holding land in both communities, having a greater influence on the composition of the RA than either other CDS citizens or other AA citizens. I appreciate it's difficult to find a way round this but we must!

I'm also unclear to me what is meant by "a process designated by AA management, consistent with AA law". Does this mean there will not be a democratic election in AA? The phrase "newly selected RA members" suggests that it might not be. I would be grateful for clarity on this.

My preference would be to hold elections for the whole of the 'new CDS' i.e. CDS+AA, once the merger has taken place. That way we can continue to hold true to the principle of 'one person-one avatar-one vote'.

Lastly, before I try people's patience too much :) , I think the draft works well as a 'statement of intent' and could form the basis for a bill for the RA to consider. I would imagine though that there will also need to be some, minimal, amendment of the CDS Constitution in order to make this work. I'm happy to help with that.

Honi soit qui mal y pense
Jamie Palisades
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Re: Al Andalus expansion proposal

Considerable additional discussion of this issue occurred at today's RA meeting, a record of which is posted here: http://forums.slcds.info/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2431
Several interesting questions were raised. A number of the participants suggested that further chats about options and the draft legislation may occur here on the Forums, between now and the next RA meeting in two weeks.
Regards JP

Sonja Strom
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Re: Al Andalus expansion proposal May 2009

Post by Sonja Strom »

I would like to further explain a couple of comments I made in the RA meeting, which are in the transcript Jamie cited above at: http://forums.slcds.info/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2431

Here is what I said:
[10:55] Sonja Strom: I would be ok with AA choosing their own 2 representatives for the remainder of this term - it would only be for a couple of RA meetings.
and then in answer to a question:
[10:59] Cindy Ecksol: sonja, what if the merger does not occur until after the new term starts
[10:59] Cindy Ecksol: are you still ok with AA 'selecting its own reps"?

My response was:
[11:01] Sonja Strom: To answer Cindy's question, it would be less ideal if the merger happened after the next election, true, but in that case I think I would still be ok with it.

To begin with, I believe the Al Andalus sims and community would be a fine addition to our own, and if they are interested in joining the CDS I am interested in working together with them on this possibility.

Here we are talking about adding sims to our structure which do not have the same structure as we do. There is then a process where at first they would be represented in their traditional way, and then they would adapt to our structures. To me it seems most practical to allow them to have some transitional representation, which their being allowed to choose two new Representatives for the RA for one term would provide. When the next CDS elections came up, these seats would then be voted on by everyone across the CDS, including them. In this way the “original” CDS would continue to be represented as normal, and the “new” CDS would continue to be represented as (relatively) normal up to the first general election, when everybody would vote together in common.

These two seats in the RA would have the normal ability to participate in decision-making, but they would be proportional in their representation, in the sense that they would still only be 2 out of 9 Representatives in the Assembly, with the other 7 being the current CDS Representatives.

One suggestion I do have is that we simplify the conversation by limiting the number of representatives for AA to two, and disallow the possibility a count of AA citizens could increase this number. This is in agreement with suggestions our Chancellor made in the same meeting:
[11:04] Jamie Palisades: why not approve it but specify two reps period
eliminate all the double counting
leave the rest as it stands

and
[11:15] Jamie Palisades: 1. I believe Brian's appropriate concern about double counting would be addressed by assigning two seats to the estate known to have between 20 & 31 citizens.
I think 2 representatives would be the appropriate number, and there is no need to keep disagreeing about how this number should be arrived at.

"Double-counting" of the wishes of dual citizens does not seem like a big concern to me. For one they have a common interest in both communities. For another there are only a few dual citizens. For yet another they are reasonable people who I can not believe would make any choice to harm another part of the community. Also, Al Andalus does not hold elections, but arrives at decisions by consensus, so on the AA side there would not really be any one citizen’s specific vote to count. If a dual citizen wanted different representatives for AA than the rest of the citizens wanted, they would be outside of the consensus and would not get what they wanted.

This is and would be an unusual situation for the CDS, yes. It would be a one-time temporary solution for addition of an already existing community to our confederation.

~~~

I also have an unrelated question about something from the transcript of the meeting, which is:
[10:28] You decline Rancho Pacifico Resort Marina Front Entrance from A group member named Harper Messmer.
Why did we decline an offer that sounds so great? :lol:

Ranma Tardis

Post by Ranma Tardis »

Sonja Strom wrote:

Hi Ranma :)

Are you a resident of the CDS again?

No, the CDS is in my past. I sort of look in on it being one of the first residents of the CDS. I looked over the proposal and it makes no sense to me. Just what will the current owner of Al Andalus receive in exchange for turning over 6k American or so in sims? Is Al Andalus in so much finical trouble that this is the last resort? Two seats in the RA (for a year) does not seem like a fair trade.

My purpose is not to "bad mouth" either the CDS or AL Andalus but to seek an understanding of what is happening to the two communities.

Sonja Strom
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Sonja Strom »

Ranma Tardis wrote:

Two seats in the RA (for a year) does not seem like a fair trade.

The initial guaranteed seats would not even be for a year, but as I quote from the current proposed wording:

Jamie Palisades wrote:

[The newly selected RA members shall] serve [either (a)] the remainder of the current RA term [or (b), if they are selected less than one month prior to the closing date for RA candidacy in the next RA general election, for the remainder of the current term plus the next term.]

These seats would be (as I tried to describe above) a way to give AA residents equal representation from the time they joined the CDS. In the first CDS-wide election after that, and from that time on, they would have the exact-same vote as every other CDS citizen.

Although I can not speak directly for the current owner of Al Andalus, my understanding of the owner's intent is that there is a desire to bring the two communities of AA and the CDS together. If this were to occur, one thing the CDS would provide is a relatively well worked-out system of self-governance.

Something I liked better in the first draft of Item 7 in the offer to Al Andalus is that "a substantial number" of AA residents is defined as 10% or more. In the second draft, the 10% qualification is removed, leaving only "a substantial number." I would actually prefer to go in the other direction with this qualification, making it even more specific. The wording I suggest is: "...there are not a substantial number of AA residents (defined as 10% or more of officially listed residents) who have indicated the intent to leave AA at the time of combination."

Ranma Tardis

Post by Ranma Tardis »

Sonja Strom wrote:
Ranma Tardis wrote:

Two seats in the RA (for a year) does not seem like a fair trade.

The initial guaranteed seats would not even be for a year, but as I quote from the current proposed wording:

Jamie Palisades wrote:

[The newly selected RA members shall] serve [either (a)] the remainder of the current RA term [or (b), if they are selected less than one month prior to the closing date for RA candidacy in the next RA general election, for the remainder of the current term plus the next term.]

These seats would be (as I tried to describe above) a way to give AA residents equal representation from the time they joined the CDS. In the first CDS-wide election after that, and from that time on, they would have the exact-same vote as every other CDS citizen.

Although I can not speak directly for the current owner of Al Andalus, my understanding of the owner's intent is that there is a desire to bring the two communities of AA and the CDS together. If this were to occur, one thing the CDS would provide is a relatively well worked-out system of self-governance.

Something I liked better in Item 7 of the first draft of the offer to Al Andalus is that "a substantial number" of AA residents is defined as 10% or more. In the second draft, the 10% qualification is removed, leaving only "a substantial number." I would actually prefer to go the other direction with this qualification, making it even more specific. The wording I suggest is: "...there are not a substantial number of AA residents (10% or more of officially listed residents) who have indicated the intent to leave AA at the time of combination."

This makes it even worse! If my math is right there will be nine members of the new RA. Seven members from the "traditional" CDS sims and two from Al Andaslus. This would make it possible for the seven members to pass anything up to selling the Al Andalus sims and placing the money into the general fund.

Suppose my thirty years of government service has left me suspicious. While it may be "nice" to have the sims joined I would love to know the why. The Al Andalus sim owner has to part with a susstintal amount of property for no compensation or did I miss something? My only quess is that the sims are not profitable and in hock to Linden Labs. Perhaps there are a number of vacant lots but appear to be rented by using alts. It is impossible for your citizens to know for sure. I do not see how it is possible to maintain a accurate voting list since there is no mechanism to check it by interested 3rd parties and as the French saying "who watches the watchmen?"

As a "watcher" of "democracy" in second life am using it as a measure of its success and failure. I am not sure which the CDS is due to my doubts.

*I do not use AA to represent Al Andalus since that is the initials/name or name for Alcoholics Anonymous and American Airlines ;)*

Return to “Sim and City Planning”