University of NFS

Forum to discuss and coordinate the expansion of the CDS and the redevelopment of existing territories.

Moderator: SC Moderators

Beathan
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

University of NFS

Post by Beathan »

Harvard and MIT have just announced a joint-venture, free online education project, called edX.

http://www.edxonline.org/

I think that we should build the education space with this content/functionality in mind. That way, we can leverage our space with the best (and FREE) online educational experience that there is likely to be. Further, I expect this "open source education" experiment to grow, as other research school join the program and offer classes through the platform.

This would require that there be inworld space to meet and discuss class topics and exchange materials. However, I think that there will likely also be lecture webcasts, etc. -- and being able to play that video (or audio) inworld would be very useful. Having live exchange and discussion coinciding with class presentations could be our own addition to what promises to be a wonderful flagship program out of Cambridge, Mass.

As a plug, I am certain that my sim proposal could be built to accommodate such functionality. I am not sure of the others.

Beathan

Let's keep things simple enough to be fair, substantive enough to be effective, and insightful enough to be good.
Sudane Erato
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Re: University of NFS

Post by Sudane Erato »

There is an increasing awareness among RL educational establishments that the already well established "on-line-distance-learning" programs will evolve eventually into full virtual experience... thought, sadly, those institutions have been looking away from Second Life in recent years because of the complete breakdown of Linden Lab's support for such projects. Some of the education-oriented Second Life people tell me that there are other institutions probing the Second Life platform with projects different than those explored in past years. But I haven't seen these yet, and it will be interesting to see what form the projects take.

I am 1000% in support of Beathan's vision here. But it's very important to understand that the obstacle to the vision is not the technical capacity or the design of the sims themselves. What you propose, Beathan, as far as technical capacity, can easily be done now in NFS using the classrooms of the existing School. Any design for the new sim could easily incorporate grand educational facilities while at the same time preserving the economic basis which Trebor's and Rosie's plan provides.

What we lack are working relationships with professionals in these RL educational programs. The idea that CDS could host a major educational institution in SL is essentially a no-brainer... what better place for something like this to exist than in SL's only truly democratic community! Whether we are aware of it or not, the CDS is an extraordinary experiment in ideas, and an educational establishment couldn't be more suitable. But as we know from past efforts to organize educational programs, educational organization is not a volunteer activity. It takes knowledgeable people with connection to the RL education world to create and sustain successful programs. We need to find and incorporate those people into our community.

One step might be to reach out to people already in SL who have been involved for years now in education. As noted, many of the large education programs were dropped some years ago as LL consistently demonstrated an utter lack of interest and support in their programs and needs. But many SL-ers are still around who participated in those programs, and they might provide a link to the RL institutions, such as the project, Beathan, that you point out. It would surely be a major turning point in CDS history if such a affiliation should get formed.

Sudane...............................

*** Confirmed Grump ***
Profile: http://bit.ly/p9ASqg
Beathan
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Beathan »

Sudane,

I know that the lack of rl relationships with rl universities and other educational institutions has been presented as a barrier to any CDS university project, but I think that the increasing amount of free information/courses/video seminars online is removing that as a barrier. The MIT/Harvard project just needs a technical host -- and does not require any direct connection to either university. There is a large and increasing number of similar classes and programs available (I think of the iUniversity app for iPad, for instance).

If we can host this free online content, we can use it to hold our own seminars and classes, on our own schedule. This is a fair, even a favored, use of such content.

To that end, I am considering moving forward with my University proposal in WEST NFS as a frachulate. I won't do that if there are objections, however.

Beathan

Let's keep things simple enough to be fair, substantive enough to be effective, and insightful enough to be good.
Sudane Erato
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Sudane Erato »

I looked at the site, and of course it's interesting. But I didn't see on first reading what the requirements might be to participate. If you can point me to those, I'd be happy to study them and show how we might "technically" participate, or what the obstacles might be.

But I'm skeptical that without person or persons actually "driving" the project, promoting, etc it may not be very effective.

Sudane.............................

*** Confirmed Grump ***
Profile: http://bit.ly/p9ASqg
Beathan
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Beathan »

Sudane,

I agree that we need someone to drive the program, but I think we can do that ourselves. I don't think we need someone at the School driving the program.

As I understand it, there are no requirements to participate. The pilot class -- and MIT class on circuits that started (I think) in December -- had 120,000 participants from around the world. The main requirement appears to be internet connectivity. I would like to see if we can have that inworld, but we can (at least) have meet-ups inworld to discuss what the participants do through an out-of-sl internet connection to the classes.

Beathan

Return to “Sim and City Planning”