January Financial Report

Forum to discuss business matters, commerce and the economy of the CDS

Moderator: SC Moderators

Sudane Erato
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

January Financial Report

Post by Sudane Erato »

January is now posted. Check the Financial Reports page: https://cdsdemocracy.org/cds-treasurer/reports/

I'm writing this note because I have AGAIN added a component to the report, and this one MAY be controversial, so I would dearly like some feedback. The last item on the report is now the actual transactions log from the estate owner (my alt, Rudeen Edo). As I think you all know, Rudeen is the bank account of the community, and like every avatar account in SL, she has actually TWO accounts... one in Linden dollars and one in US dollars.

I have always published Rudeen's US dollar account log, so that there is public record of the payments for the sims to Linden Lab. But I have not in the past published the L$ account log, for several reasons. One is that it is unwieldy and boring. But second, and maybe more important, is that it lists every individual's personal payments to Rudeen. Those personal payments, mostly for land tier payments, are the underlying source of our economy. Of course, the log also lists all the payments that Rudeen has made.

As a bookkeeper I find being able to show every transaction, and how they added up to the position we find ourself in at the end of each month, intensely valuable and satisfying. But some might find this an invasion of privacy. It's hard to know, since the economics of an SL estate are like no other economic system, and what might not work in RL might turn out to be very valuable in SL. This additional page on the report in essence goes the full mile of showing every detail of our financial working.

So please let me know what you think,

Sudane..................

*** Confirmed Grump ***
Profile: http://bit.ly/p9ASqg
Sylvia Tamalyn
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Re: January Financial Report

Post by Sylvia Tamalyn »

For what it's worth, I have no problem with this at all. I am all for transparency, and anyway, it's not that hard to figure out who is paying how much for what just by looking at parcel information, if one is so inclined. Having said that, if some folks do feel it invades privacy, could you hide the column that lists citizens' names?

Jerry McNally
Passionate Protagonist
Passionate Protagonist

Post by Jerry McNally »

I think I'm ok with it too: transparency → openness → honesty etc.

Rosie Gray
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Rosie Gray »

No problem with it as far as I can see. It is pretty boring though!🙂

"Courage, my friend, it's not too late to make the world a better place."
~ Tommy Douglas
Sudane Erato
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard