Caves and theaters

Moderator: SC Moderators

Sudane Erato
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Caves and theaters

Post by Sudane Erato »

Discussions were held yesterday at the Land Use Commission meeting about creating a cave and tunnel system in Colonia Nova which would connect the tiny rock cave by the beach on the northeast corner of the sim to the underground tunnel and sewer system under the city. It's a neat idea, and would offer visitors lots of fun new places to explore. Moon did a beautiful schematic illustration of the whole concept. As conceived, you could spend hours down there, and if Rosie was able to add a special "experience" to the visit, it might be extraordinary.

So I visited the site and spent some time meditating on our options, and the problems to be faced. I also, for research purposes, visited the in-world demonstrations of the cave systems offered by Cube Republic, and now, also, by Studio Skye. I do have to say that I was underwhelmed by BOTH of those cave systems, particularly the new one by Skye, which is just not up to their high standards.

But... back to the project at hand. Moon proposes that the cave, or tunnel, run mostly under the main street, the Deacunaeum (sp???). While that may work ok, excavation will still be required on the existing visible terrain surrounding the theater. Excavation in SL means, in many cases and surely in this case, lowering the natural terrain and replacing it with prim landforms. Not terrible... indeed... while the Skye cave might be rather miserable, Skye landforms are used throughout the CDS and SL to stunningly beautiful effect. My intent here is just to describe clearly what we'll need to do.

Since this section adjoins the existing theater, and may involve adjusting parts of that theater, it was pointed out that the theater is not adjustable... it was created by Cadence Theas who left it with no perms. So utterly no adjustments can be made to it. In addition, the theater is now rather old and it might probably be a great idea to update it.

Fortunately, Moon volunteered to do just that. She proposes to replace the theater with a comparable build but one which we can add to the common inventory (Archie) and which uses mesh technology. Adopting this course of action would mean that the theater and the landform and tunnel/cave system could be built together.

Hmmmm... now that's a rather fascinating prospect.

Back to the site. My meditations concluded, taking all the aforementioned info into account, that the entire northeast corner of the sim should be rebuilt. The street and the 4 "E" parcels along it would be untouched, except that beneath them (and the entire rest of the sim corner from the city walls) the terrain would be lowered. The visible landforms would be entirely rebuilt, with the new theater as the central focus, and entrance stairway as it is now proceeding down from the street. Moon's cave schematic shows caves and tunnels from the beach cave at the NE corner, from a trapdoor in the theater, and from the park folly, all threading into the cave/tunnel system under the street, and ultimately leading to the network under the city. This all could be a dramatic re-envisioning of the theater set into the rocky headlands on our very northeast corner, with a combination of natural wildness (cliffs, rocky steps, natural beach and cave) with a certain faded elegant formality of the grand street along with formal theater entrance and park environment.

Kind of a neat idea. For those inclined to support this proposal, I'll note some logistical things. Normally, we are very insistent that builds are not constructed in situ... an SL build under construction is NOT a pretty site. And the continuous beautiful appearance of our estate is of huge importance. But this project presents a challenge, since in my proposal it involves replacing all the visible terrain with prim landform... and probably 99% of everything between the street and the sea. I've already been asked to manage the terrain adaptations needed for this project. If the proposal is given the go ahead, and Moon and I take the leads in this, I suggest that she will probably do the major theater construction in our workshop before anything is touched on the ground. But then, we will need to schedule a marathon land excavation/theater placement effort so that in the course of a day or so the basic visual in that area is changed from one to the other. Details of course may take weeks. But we would have a major focus on making sure that the area remains continuously visually presentable.

Your thoughts and comments are enthusiastically welcomed.

Sudane.................

*** Confirmed Grump ***
Profile: http://bit.ly/p9ASqg
Lilith Ivory
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Re: Caves and theaters

Post by Lilith Ivory »

I love and fully support this idea and also Sudanes detailed proposal.
I see no problem if the landscaping takes a while as this corner of our estate is not an extremely crowded place and terraforming at other places in CDS has never been seen as a problem. I could imagine the waterfall in Monastery and the rebuild of Alpine Meadow and Locus Amoenus wasn´t done in one day either.
Also watching some of our expert builders in action can be seen as an educational experience. I remember I joined CDS partly because Newbie me wanted to learn how to build from Moon :) Whenever I was building on side in the past I got some interested visitors who wanted to watch how building is done.

"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."
Terry Pratchett
Moon Adamant
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Moon Adamant »

For the reference, here's the draft Sudane makes reference to:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/16wsS8G ... sp=sharing

Some comments to go with it:
Solid line represents the catacomb system already in place; dotted line represents a proposed organization for the system to be created and added to the existing one.

This image is a schematic draft: it does not aim to be a final proposal, and it tries not to constrain the work to be done. The easier way to represent both intentions is by a straight line, from which the work can deviate, while keeping an anchoring that follows that line. In fact, the deciding of how the structures should extend must be done in place -- as Sudane says, there is need of re-terraforming and many decisions will need to consider the whole.

The image also marks the existing places that can connect to the system, such as the cave and the steaming manholes, and it also proposes new connection points, such as the East Folly and the Theatre stage, where we can put a trapdoor. These points can be entrances, or they can be points where above ground and underground become aware of each other -- which, I am guessing, is already the intention of the steaming manholes :-) These points can occur elsewhere, of course.

And finally, the draft doesn't exclude that private plots can have cellars that relate, in some way, to the new caves/catacombs.

Eudaimonia now!
Lilith Ivory
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Lilith Ivory »

Moon worte:

And finally, the draft doesn't exclude that private plots can have cellars that relate, in some way, to the new caves/catacombs.

It would be neat to have a door placeholder at each parcel so people could connect their basement to the tunnel system without having to use an anywhere door :)

"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."
Terry Pratchett

Return to “Land Use Commission Discussions”