Boho chic and shabby chic

Forum for the CDS Artisan Guild

Moderator: SC Moderators

Moon Adamant
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Boho chic and shabby chic

Post by Moon Adamant »

Hi again, I was noticing now that I hadn't posted about Boho Chic and Shabby Chic.
First of all, a disclaimer: these are design styles, not architectural styles, so I am resorting to external info, and also telling you what I observe. So this is ultimately my take on these matters. I am posting it mainly because having it written down may help you to think otherwise :-)

So, about Boho, it is rather easy to find stuff on these design styles on the internet. For example, here's a nice one on The Spruce on Boho. Or this one on Home Designing with many pics, some very curious because they explore a relationship between Boho and Minimalist interior designs.
So instead I'll share what I observe about those, and you can decide if you agree :-)
What I find is the most distinctive characteristic of Boho is very well expressed by these two pics:

The first one is an interior space, and the second one is an exterior space -- and you can see how much their spirit is similar.
I believe that Boho always tries to mix the interior and exterior space, as it understands the exterior space as a space for permanence too. Thus you can see that the exterior space is occupied by a full, very comfy-looking lounge -- implying that people will stay there for a long time -- and the interior space has brought in natural elements to make it resemble a garden. The garden, btw, is an archetypal space (I have been reading a bit about these and thinking if they're useful for coherence about staging -- they're a concept from creative writing to add expression and density to fiction), signifying innocence, connection to nature, simplicity, etc.
Now, as I said before, my opinion is that the spirit of Stella Marina in CN is Boho Chic. Strolling there with the CN occupancy map handy, what I observe is that all the good performing parcels in Stella Marina either have an exterior space: a garden, a patio, a terrace -- or they all have bow windows and/or French doors, and these convey the feeling that you are one step away from being outdoors.
So I believe that when thinking about fixing a Stella Marina parcel, providing spaces and devices that allow the mix of indoors and outdoors is really something to consider.
BTW, To Limani in LA has a similar boho spirit, not so well marked, and maybe our future intervention there should reinforce it. After all, the most heard critique on To Limani is that 'it has very few windows', which I find really telling.

Now, what is Shabby Chic?
I am having trouble finding pictures exactly of what I mean by it... what I have in my mind is much more opulent, and would match a house like this one - Casa dos Penedos, Sintra, Portugal - which btw is a 20th. c. project by Portuguese architect Raul Lino.
Still, for what it is worth, here's a link for an article at the Decoist which at some points is almost what I have in mind... a pic from there so it's easy to find this post again.

I must say that this excerpt from Edith Wharton's The Age of Innocence (1920) matches what I have in mind better:

What he saw, meanwhile, with the help of the lamp, was the faded shadowy charm of a room unlike any room he had known. He knew that the Countess Olenska had brought some of her possessions with her—bits of wreckage, she called them—and these, he supposed, were represented by some small slender tables of dark wood, a delicate little Greek bronze on the chimney-piece, and a stretch of red damask nailed on the discoloured wallpaper behind a couple of Italian-looking pictures in old frames.
(...)
But since he had come he meant to wait; and he sank into a chair and stretched his feet to the logs.
It was odd to have summoned him in that way, and then forgotten him; but Archer felt more curious than mortified. The atmosphere of the room was so different from any he had ever breathed that self-consciousness vanished in the sense of adventure. He had been before in drawing-rooms hung with red damask, with pictures "of the Italian school"; what struck him was the way in which Medora Manson's shabby hired house, with its blighted background of pampas grass and Rogers statuettes, had, by a turn of the hand, and the skilful use of a few properties been transformed into something intimate, "foreign," subtly suggestive of old romantic scenes and sentiments. He tried to analyse the trick, to find a clue to it in the way the chairs and tables were grouped, in the fact that only two Jacqueminot roses (of which nobody ever bought less than a dozen) had been placed in the slender vase at his elbow, and in the vague pervading perfume that was not what one put on handkerchiefs, but rather like the scent of some far-off bazaar, a smell made up of Turkish coffee and ambergris and dried roses.

Edith Wharton's descriptions of spaces are very evocative and she uses them to display her characters' personalities. It is not to wonder that she was also the co-author (with architect Ogden Codman Jr.) of a 1897 best-selling, very influential book about interior design called The Decoration of Houses, and also other books on Italian villas, landscape design, etc.
In the quote above, Wharton is describing the house of Countess Olenska, a New Yorker socialite that had married a wealthy European nobleman. The marriage having been extremely unhappy, she is back in NYC, living out of favour with an eccentric, almost ruined aunt. Her house as described convenes impressions of refinement, sophistication, uniqueness -- but also forlornness, like a romantic wreck, and a definite spirit of bravely trying to keep standards afloat with limited resources. The past is brought in in her vintage pieces and art.
So, to my mind, Shabby Chic's allure has to do with this aura of past opulence, its visible signs still persisting in spite of everything else -- in a way it is the fascination of the ruin.

Eudaimonia now!
Rosie Gray
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Re: Boho chic and shabby chic

Post by Rosie Gray »

I love these descriptions of Boho chic and shabby chic, Moon.

My personal addition to the description of shabby chic would be to add that, in a currently modern context, shabby chic to me implies the use of second-hand treasures, items that others might have disposed of as out of fashion or favour and perhaps because they are rundown. All of these components are put together by someone with more taste than money creating a charming and somewhat exotic room.

"Courage, my friend, it's not too late to make the world a better place."
~ Tommy Douglas

Return to “CDS Artisan Guild”