From the ocean emerges... a new continent to the West!

Here you might discuss basically everything.

Moderator: SC Moderators

Gwyneth Llewelyn
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

From the ocean emerges... a new continent to the West!

Post by Gwyneth Llewelyn »

No, it's not Atlantis!

And it's not really a "continent" per se, but rather, the four regions of the LOCUS Amiais research projectfrom the University of Aveiro (Portugal), which is currently being managed by the VP-ARC non-profit — it "only" took about 15 months to get those 4 regions moved to its new place! (BTW, thanks to Madori Linden for all her internal string-pulling, without which this move would never be accomplished at all.)

It sort of looks like this:

New neighbours to the West.png

Now, you may ask... well, weren't we promised a few water regions as well?! Patience! That's under way, too. It's a different procedure, though, which is sort of being done in parallel. Moving existing regions is just having the techs type a few coordinates on the map database.Adding new regions is a different kind of beast!

Eventually, though, they'll appear on the map as well. Hopefully. Soon! I think...

If you visit Amiais, please be kind to the 'bots. Aye, currently, it's only populated by 'bots — there are no permanent human residents (for now!). The 'bots leave the regions every now and then (mostly when LL upgrades the server software and reboots the regions...) and teleport to bot-friendly, public telehubs, until someone notices that they're wandering around, tells me, and I kick them back to their home location! (There is supposed to be an automated process to do that — LSL scripts get a notification when a region has been rebooted, and that, in turn, signals the 'bot server to respawn but it's a tricky thing which hardly ever gets called.)

However, it's unlikely that any bots will wander 'by mistake' into the CDS, since the CDS has been declared a "'bot-free zone", therefore, these bots are not likely to be able to telepoet here, even if the CDSs telehub(s) might be the closest ones to teleport to. If you see them around here then please kick them out of your parcel and report the issue to me as well!

Thanks in advance :)

"I'm not building a game. I'm building a new country."
  -- Philip "Linden" Rosedale, interview to Wired, 2004-05-08

PGP Fingerprint: CE8A 6006 B611 850F 1275 72BA D93E AA3D C4B3 E1CB

Lilith Ivory
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Re: From the ocean emerges... a new continent to the West!

Post by Lilith Ivory »

WOW!
I can't believe this finally happened!
Thanks to all who made it possible that Amiais is our new neighbor. I am looking forward to visit again and ... one day ... sail over to it.
By the way ... the werewolf is welcome at my parcels any time ;.-)

"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."
Terry Pratchett
Sandy Burgess
Lurker
Lurker

Post by Sandy Burgess »

Yay! Finally!

/me starts planning a ferry service

Han Held
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Han Held »

It might be an interesting thought experiment to integrate this with the GMP (or vice-versa)

---
"I could talk talk talk, talk myself to death
But I believe I would only waste my breath" -Roxy Music "Remake, remodel"
Rosie Gray
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Rosie Gray »

Fantastic! I can't believe it's been there for some days before I even knew. How exciting, and next... water!

"Courage, my friend, it's not too late to make the world a better place."
~ Tommy Douglas
Rosie Gray
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Rosie Gray »

Han Held wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 3:58 am

It might be an interesting thought experiment to integrate this with the GMP (or vice-versa)

Very true, Han. And something for the RA to contemplate as the new terms of engagement for the Guild are debated.

~ Tommy Douglas
Lilith Ivory
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Lilith Ivory »

Just keep in mind that neither Amiais nor the water is/will be property of CDS ;-)

"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."
Terry Pratchett
Rosie Gray
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Rosie Gray »

Lilith Ivory wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 10:20 am

Just keep in mind that neither Amiais nor the water is/will be property of CDS ;-)

Yes, that's one of the main reasons to revise the GMP since it does currently reflect plans for expansion in those areas.

~ Tommy Douglas

Return to “General Discussion”