New CDS Website Area

Here you might discuss basically everything.

Moderator: SC Moderators

Jerry McNally
Passionate Protagonist
Passionate Protagonist

New CDS Website Area

Post by Jerry McNally »

Hi, I've been adding pages to the Support area of the website https://cdsdemocracy.org/support which I'd be grateful for feedback on — including an answer to this question: is it inworld or in-world?

Lilith Ivory
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Re: New CDS Website Area

Post by Lilith Ivory »

Your website looks great Jerry!
I only have two suggestions.
I would stike the citizens right to attend meetings as 99,9% of our meetings (including commission meetings) are open for all to attend - and in the rare occasions there is a closed meeting even citizens do not have the RIGHT to attend.
Also I would not hide prim parcel regulations inside of the group registration process. If one does not want to register a group one might not see it.

to answer your direct question: I am not a native speaker but in all my 17 years as SL resident I saw it only written as inworld and never as in-world.

"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."
Terry Pratchett
Sudane Erato
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Sudane Erato »

Wow... wow... wow... these pages are fantatstic Jerry! It's wonderful what you've done here!

Naturally, I have comments and corrections... :)

1) On Citizenship and Elections, I agree with Lil. But further... the "Group Registration Process". OMG... I've been part of helping make that happen, but I really had no clue reading it what that was about! I started reading and scratched my head... what is the purpose here?... until I remembered, oh YES! This is our system for enabling couples and small groups or families to be citizens while not individually owning parcels and thus being unable to share prim capacity. A system that no one uses. I think that, to be any use at all, this section MUST be prefaced with an explanation that this is a special arrangement which we allow but which is rarely used. That way people will understand the need to go to extra lengths to get this non-normal access to citizenship.

2) On Managing Your Land, I naturally have lots of little comments. OPTIONS is very important, but so is OBJECTS, and you have omitted a really important interaction between the two related to the Build setting on OPTIONS. I personally do NOT uncheck Everyone on Build, Rather, I set Autoreturn on OBJECTS to 1. This is the rule over much of the Blake Sea sims, so that people can rez boats and planes anywhere after they crash crossing sim lines, but can only keep them rezzed if they sit on them (thus the one min autoreturn). Of course, in the CDS, you can do what you want, but I always STRONGLY reccommend that people set autoreturn (by putting a number other than zero in that box on OBJECTS). So no matter what advice you do with the Build setting, please make a note of the Autoreturn setting, with the NECESSARY warning that setting a number in Autoreturn will return EVERYTHING on the parcel except things owned by the owner or things set to the same group that the parcel is set to (IF it IS set to a group).
Also on OPTIONS... you MUST check Object Entry and Run Scripts. Further, I strongly suggest that you check Safe, and also, while many people uncheck this, check Avatars on other parcels can see and chat with avatars on this parcel. Its much friendlier if people can see you and talk to you while you're on your parcel. Make a skybox if you want to be alone.

Whew... more...
On the SOUND tab, I agree about the MOAP setting! But your comment about Restrict Gesture and Object Sounds to Parcel is reversed. This setting doesn't block sounds from neighboring parcels from getting to you, rather it blocks sounds from YOUR parcel from traveling beyond your parcel lines. This really requires you to consider what sounds you are emmanating and to think about whether they will annoy passers-by. Also, restricting Voice to this parcel is much more reasonable. For some reason voice travels huge distances in SL, much further than text chat, so I would definitely check this box.

On the ACCESS tab, yes, you can ban people here. But most important, DO NOT UNCHECK Anyone can visit. Unchecking this box sets ban lines around your parcel, which are strictly forbidden.

That's it for now... until I think of more. But... please don't get me wrong. Jerry, this is a fantastic new set of pages. I am blown away by how good they look and how accessible they feel.

THANK YOU!

Sudane..............

*** Confirmed Grump ***
Profile: http://bit.ly/p9ASqg
Sudane Erato
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Sudane Erato »

Follow up on my comments. I might be wrong about the "Restrict Gesture and Object Sounds to this parcel". I've always understood it the way I described, but you might be right... it's the reverse.

Still testing :)

Sudane.................

*** Confirmed Grump ***
Jerry McNally
Passionate Protagonist
Passionate Protagonist

Post by Jerry McNally »

Ok thanks, but just to clarify, the text of the Citizenship and Managing Land pages is taken from the Guide for New Citizens which we've had for … a while now? All I've set out to do is present this in a hopefully more useful and accessible way. Perhaps the authors of those sections will respond to your feedback, as — showing my ignorance — it's not something I know a great deal about.

Sudane Erato
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Sudane Erato »

TOTALLY understood! Making it so much more beautifully accessible means that I'm (and we're) consuming it now much more readily... so prompts my request for updates and clarifications by whichever team can assume responsibility.

Sudane............

*** Confirmed Grump ***
Lilith Ivory
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Lilith Ivory »

I was helping with the new citizens guide draft and I remember I was concerned when it got published without being double checked by more long time CDS citizens.
Since I think it is dangerous to provide wrong information to new citizens - especially as this guide is at a way more dominant place now than our code of laws.
I would like to suggest to ask the guild to comb through the new citizens guide and bring it to order. The guild would qualify best for this work as there are experts from all branches gathered.

"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."
Terry Pratchett
Rosie Gray
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Rosie Gray »

A few comments from me based on Sudane's comments, but first just to say that I wrote that Managing Your Land section fairly quickly, quite recently when I had realized that it was important and that we had forgotten all about it on the New Citizen Guide. It should have been reviewed by someone else too. Also, just as a reminder that this section was meant to assist people who are not experienced with managing land that they own, so my intention was to keep it fairly simple.

Sudane Erato wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:01 am

2) On Managing Your Land, I naturally have lots of little comments. OPTIONS is very important, but so is OBJECTS, and you have omitted a really important interaction between the two related to the Build setting on OPTIONS. I personally do NOT uncheck Everyone on Build, Rather, I set Autoreturn on OBJECTS to 1. This is the rule over much of the Blake Sea sims, so that people can rez boats and planes anywhere after they crash crossing sim lines, but can only keep them rezzed if they sit on them (thus the one min autoreturn). Of course, in the CDS, you can do what you want, but I always STRONGLY reccommend that people set autoreturn (by putting a number other than zero in that box on OBJECTS). So no matter what advice you do with the Build setting, please make a note of the Autoreturn setting, with the NECESSARY warning that setting a number in Autoreturn will return EVERYTHING on the parcel except things owned by the owner or things set to the same group that the parcel is set to (IF it IS set to a group).

I wrote to uncheck 'everyone' on the Options tab because that's the setting we use for putting the parcels for sale to, and because it's easy to do without further explanation. So, certainly the way of setting with autoreturn can be explained, but my main purpose was to ensure that the box for everyone to rez is not left as is. This is how we have had squatters in the past.

Also on OPTIONS... you MUST check Object Entry and Run Scripts. Further, I strongly suggest that you check Safe, and also, while many people uncheck this, check Avatars on other parcels can see and chat with avatars on this parcel. Its much friendlier if people can see you and talk to you while you're on your parcel. Make a skybox if you want to be alone.

When you buy the parcel Object Entry and Run Scripts are already checked, and so is 'Safe', but people are allowed to uncheck them if they so wish. I totally agree that it's friendlier to be able to see and be seen on your parcel - unless you are having 'adult relations', in which case you should uncheck being seen. Sometimes I uncheck it temporarily when I'm making outfits, so nobody can see me!

Whew... more...
On the SOUND tab, I agree about the MOAP setting! But your comment about Restrict Gesture and Object Sounds to Parcel is reversed. This setting doesn't block sounds from neighboring parcels from getting to you, rather it blocks sounds from YOUR parcel from traveling beyond your parcel lines. This really requires you to consider what sounds you are emmanating and to think about whether they will annoy passers-by. Also, restricting Voice to this parcel is much more reasonable. For some reason voice travels huge distances in SL, much further than text chat, so I would definitely check this box.

The Restrict Gesture and Object Sounds restricts in both directions. If you want to hear the sounds of nature around the CDS, you do not want to restrict gesture and object sounds. It's much nicer to leave it unchecked unless you have something on your parcel that might be really annoying to your neighbours, or if they have something really annoying to you.

On the ACCESS tab, yes, you can ban people here. But most important, DO NOT UNCHECK Anyone can visit. Unchecking this box sets ban lines around your parcel, which are strictly forbidden.

Nobody except Estate Managers can allow parcel owners to remove 'anyone can visit', which is done at the estate level. So, nobody purchasing can uncheck on their parcel and create ban lines.

"Courage, my friend, it's not too late to make the world a better place."
~ Tommy Douglas
Sudane Erato
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Sudane Erato »

Many thanks, Rosie, for those clarifications!

And I agree with Lil... perhaps some of the finer points might be discussed in the Guild, so we make sure that our info is accurate. I mean... jeez... I have been in SL for just about 20 years, dealing with land details for that entire time, and the esoterica of "Restrict Gesture and Object Sounds" has never been clear to me... it's not exactly what it says.

Sudane..............

*** Confirmed Grump ***

Return to “General Discussion”