Improving Communications on the LA rebuild

Here you might discuss basically everything.

Moderator: SC Moderators

Patroklus Murakami
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Improving Communications on the LA rebuild

Post by Patroklus Murakami »

I think that part of the problem we are having with the LA rebuild is lack of clear communications (though I see some hopeful signs such as this post from Bagheera here).

If we look at the historical threads on the forum regarding the Colonia Nova build here and Alpine Meadow builds here you can see that the forums were used along with other tools as a means for communication and organisation of the building effort. There's even a thread I had forgotten I started about 'lessons learned' from the builds here. The CN build even had its own sub-forum which I think would be a good idea for LA.

At the moment, what I see happening is that builds are being rezzed and we don't know whether they are a) placeholders which are intended to be changed later b) works in progress which will be tidied up and perfected later c) options which the community is invited to give an opinion on or d) finalised elements of the build. People have come to the forums to complain about them because of this and then been told "it's a placeholder" or "it's not finished" but how could they know that unless someone tells them? Similarly, people have complained that their builds have been been deleted and then been told "I'm gathering feedback" but again, how could someone know that the deletion was temporary and not a judgement on their build unless they are told?

I think we need a sub-forum here devoted to the LA build which brings together all the information on the rebuild and which can be used to get feedback and resolve issues and avoid misunderstandings. I would suggest that it needs to include some information as 'stickies' at the top of the forum:

• Links to the Overall Plan for LA with maps, parcelling and clarity on where building is taking place
    The Covenants for the sim
    Lists of the build projects and who is doing them and what the current status is (not started, work in progress, seeking feedback, completed)
    Links to suitable homes to rez or to source material for inspiration

Then we need lots of updates on what is happening so citizens feel well informed. I appreciate that Bags has been trying to do this but one problem is that the information is scattered about numerous threads in General Discussion and Sim and City Planning and is not easy to find.

Could the Chancellor ask Gwyn if the LA Rebuild can have its own sub-forum here and then populate it with the kind of information I am suggesting we need? I think this would help with keeping the project on track and rebuilding popular support for the remodel.

Honi soit qui mal y pense
Victor1
Passionate Protagonist
Passionate Protagonist

Re: Improving Communications on the LA rebuild

Post by Victor1 »

As far as I can see what your looking at now is essentially the LA build, from bags post here http://forums.slcds.info/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4322 however it looks as if possibly everything is a placeholder.

The only thing that is now concrete is where the land parcels are. There has been three parcels cut at the back of LA and the parcels for the fishing village homes have been cut, along with the parcels for the boat docking.

What we have thats still up in the air or still being built is this...

1. Fishing village builds

2) Quay expansion and Bridge (apparently this is on hold until feedback about my bridge has been heard... i then expect the bridge to be refused and replaced with something else...)

3) Entrance area from Colonia Nova on the North side.

4) North cliffs

5) Roads and paths

6) Seawalls with stairs.

7) Estate builds (28x44 parcel size)

Bagheera
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Bagheera »

I love this idea, Pat. I wish I had done this much sooner. Part of what I have been up against is the shifting sands of support, as I thought LA would have been much further along in the progress and my placeholders would have been long gone by now. ah well, it is what it is.

This should probably go elsewhere, as well, but I'll put this here and repeat as necessary. I just received an update from Sudane who has been terraforming and reparceling in Locus Amoenus. There are, at present, quite a few more prims rezzed on the common/government land than I realized so I am going to recommend to my estate manager and rebuilding teams to pick up more of the landscaping and decorative prims on common land (I had already removed quite a few) so that we can have a handle on prim management for government land going forward. What this means for everyone is LA is going to look even more barren for (hopefully) a very short while. There is every intention to have greenery/landscaping and ambiance prims.... so please trust that the trees and everything will come back !

Usually I Dislike a Cloud Sky
Tonight I Realize That a Cloud Sky
Makes Me Appreciate the Light of the Moon
- impromptu poem composed by Gen'i
as depicted in Yoshitoshi's 100 Aspects of the Moon
Bagheera
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Bagheera »

Victor1 wrote:

2) Quay expansion and Bridge (apparently this is on hold until feedback about my bridge has been heard... i then expect the bridge to be refused and replaced with something else...)

Hello Vic: I am still taking comments through the end of the day, but at present, the balance is fairly evenly divided.. 50% like your bridge although most suggest it needs some minor tweaking in either proportions or colors.. and 50% don't feel like it fits the location. I realize one of the things I may personally have been reacting to is the angular, military design of your bridge...as the preferences do also seem to be split along gender lines. What I'd really love is for you to join the team of builders who have already volunteered and to find a way that what are currently disparate elements could be integrated in such a way that Locus Amoenus feels like a cohesive whole. Thank you !

cleopatraxigalia
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by cleopatraxigalia »

Seems the bridge needs to allow for the boats to go under. People are rez zing tall boats that seem to be ones that would be leaving the harbor. Is a bridge imperative ?

Cleo
Pip Torok
Sadly departed
Sadly departed

Post by Pip Torok »

cleopatraxigalia wrote:

Seems the bridge needs to allow for the boats to go under. People are rez zing tall boats that seem to be ones that would be leaving the harbor. Is a bridge imperative ?

Well, speaking for my particular vessel, I'm happy that it stay where it was rezzed, at least for the time being. Its skyline certainly contributes to already impressive views from the Garden of Peace.

At this point in time, though, there'd be very little sim-space beyond the bridge for it to sail to :oops:

And don't forget the imagination-stretching that SL gives us .... vessels actually sail in the sky! With an adequately dredged exit, it could become a temporary sub-aqua vehicle, even!

But I must declare an interest : I love that bridge, it's beautiful, utilitarian, and makes sense of the whole west-side of Locus Amoenus. All power to you, Vic!

A bridge is most certainly imperative, just as communication in general is ...

Pip Torok

Garnet Psaltery
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Post by Garnet Psaltery »

In case of counting, this is my official note of support for Vic's bridge.

Tall ships? The pirate ones? Since we've no apparent standard for ships, I shall place something wholly suitable for sailing over or under the bridge as it is.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/garnetpsal ... 752299674/

cleopatraxigalia
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Most of the locus sim will be a dynamic changing visual that will evolve and morph over time as citizens come amd go amd change their parcels and builds so the most permanent structures need to all conform to each other not to temporary builds. Just a reminder that cds is unique to some.sims in this way. I am not keen on vics bridge in its current state for the record. For all the reasons.people have given in other threads. It's a fine bridge just not for there IMHO. The new theme is rural Tuscany and this is a copy of a bridge in the city of verona. Also as far as flying boats amd such. Our Covenents Require builds be "plausible" I'm just saying.

Cleo
Garnet Psaltery
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

cleopatraxigalia wrote:

Most of the locus sim will be a dynamic changing visual that will evolve and morph over time as citizens come amd go amd change their parcels and builds so the most permanent structures need to all conform to each other not to temporary builds. Just a reminder that cds is unique to some.sims in this way.

What does that mean? I know plenty of sims that change in this way, having very firm covenants.

cleopatraxigalia wrote:

Also as far as flying boats amd such. Our Covenents Require builds be "plausible" I'm just saying.

Right, just like the house in Monastery you used to have. No, wait, the airship is feasible. It is a powered vehicle. It flies. Granted, I don't intend to leave it there permanently, as I'm considering building my own houseboat rather than buying one, but prove to me that a pirate ship is in any way more suitable.

By the way, I've pondered this elsewhere but, just why are you a member of Vic's group I.K. Brunel Hall when you can't access the associated places? I'd really like to hear a feasible explanation.

Last edited by Garnet Psaltery on Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bagheera
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Bagheera »

Garnet Psaltery wrote:

In case of counting, this is my official note of support for Vic's bridge.

Tall ships? The pirate ones? Since we've no apparent standard for ships, I shall place something wholly suitable for sailing over or under the bridge as it is.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/garnetpsal ... 752299674/

Garnet - I had already noted your support for Vic's bridge in my earlier tally...even though I requested inworld notecards, the ultimate goal was to get a good consensus, not get wound up in forms.

That said, as far as your "ship" for your water parcel in Locus Amoenus, since you are choosing to call attention to it now, in the context of covenants:

1. I personally resist link baiting that diverts the conversation from its official place to a wholly other location offsite. Not only is it disruptive conversation and to making the use of the forum as a historical archive for CDS, but - because the conversation cannot proceed without visiting the offsite location - it is often used as a form of coerced traffic building to the offsite location. To keep the record straight, I have taken inworld photos of your "craft" and am posting them here as part of the forum records.

2. I think you may have missed my post here entitled "Ships and Builds Suitable for Locus Amoenus" ... http://forums.slcds.info/viewtopic.php? ... 655#p21655

3. The first recorded airship similar to yours is The Eagle build by Henri Giffard, a Frenchman, in 1836. The Eagle never was flown. Later, in 1878, Henri Giffard built a steamship that did fly but it would be a) not Tuscan & b) too large (tall) for Locus Amoenus covenants. (I've attached pictures of The Eagle and Giffard's later airship). The rigid framed zeppelin was invented at the brink of WW1 so it might slip under the wire in terms of timing, but these kinds of developments were happening in France, Britain, the U.S. and Germany - not Tuscany.

4. Tuscany was the birth of the Renaissance and one of the greatest inventors, of course, was Leonardo da Vinci. None of his flying machines actually worked nor did they look like yours. I had wondered if someone into Steam might be inspired to building his Paddleboat though.

(pictures attached)

Attachments
Model of Leonardo DaVinci's paddleboat design with gears
Model of Leonardo DaVinci's paddleboat design with gears
Garnet's "Starship Galileo" docked 2-24-14 at Locus Amoenus parcel
Garnet's "Starship Galileo" docked 2-24-14 at Locus Amoenus parcel
Detail of Garnet's "Starship Galileo" docked 2-24-14 at Locus Amoenus parcel
Detail of Garnet's "Starship Galileo" docked 2-24-14 at Locus Amoenus parcel
Garnet Psaltery
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Ooh, I love that paddleboat! By all means photograph Alexis Sommerfeld's 'Galileo'. The link to my Flickr account should remain but it is always good to have a back-up plan.
No, I'm not coercing anyone into visiting any more of my photographs; I was just too lazy to make a copy for here, as it's so easy to post from SL to Flickr.

cleopatraxigalia
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Wonderful idea bagheera. Love the Leonardo idea !

Garnet love, haven't seen your ship yet I was responding to what I thought pip was saying about how in sl any boat can fly and such. Was just a friendly reminder.

The project is getting more and more fun to watch as people express their creativity I am sure as it progresses it will be even more interesting. Well Done. Everyone!

Cleo
cleopatraxigalia
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Garnet love, haven't seen your ship yet I was responding to what I thought pip was saying about how in sl any boat can fly and such. Was just a friendly reminder and or inquiry as to whether or not I missed something

The project is getting more and more fun to watch as people express their creativity I am sure as it progresses it will be even more interesting. Well Done. Everyone!

Cleo
Garnet Psaltery
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

cleopatraxigalia wrote:

Garnet love, haven't seen your ship yet I was responding to what I thought pip was saying about how in sl any boat can fly and such. Was just a friendly reminder and or inquiry as to whether or not I missed something

Don't call me love; it's unwelcome and tacky. Nothing you do is friendly towards me. You're not fooling anyone with half a brain by using such apparently innocuous wording. I'm still waiting for an explanation of your creepy membership of Vic's group. After that let's not just not address each other.

Return to “General Discussion”