The forums suffered a cyberattack from China earlier today...

Here you might discuss basically everything.

Moderator: SC Moderators

Han Held
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Re: The forums suffered a cyberattack from China earlier today...

Post by Han Held » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:57 pm

Gwyneth Llewelyn wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:35 pm
Anyway... I'm very sorry for what happened and for the downtime! Unfortunately, there was really nothing that could have been done to deal with this particular 'attack' beforehand. I hope that I might at least have given the phpBB forum software community some incentive to work on a fix (so far, they do not seem to be very excited about that), because I'm afraid that I don't have the time to do it — even though I'm aware it's not really a very hard fix!
Thank you for being on top of it, Gwyn -and for taking the time to break it down for us!

I followed your link and noticed their "meh" reaction too and thought it was rather odd (at least from my point of view).
"We don’t do this "thing" ’cause it’s permitted. We do it because we have to. We do it because we’re compelled." -Rorsach, "The Watchmen"

Kyoko
Casual contributor
Casual contributor

Re: The forums suffered a cyberattack from China earlier today...

Post by Kyoko » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:47 am

Thank you so much Gwyneth.
That was magnificent sleuthing and a clear explanation.

I feel your pain as in the !990s a Unix server I was admin on was used, among MANY, to launch a Denial of Service attack on CNN. While I enjoyed working with the Canadian "Mounties", I wouldn't wish reading endless UNIX logs on anyone!
C.D.S. Chancellor for the 30th Term

Return to “General Discussion”