A fishing village for Colonia Nova

Forum to discuss and coordinate the expansion of the CDS and the redevelopment of existing territories.

Moderator: SC Moderators

Sudane Erato
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

A fishing village for Colonia Nova

Post by Sudane Erato »

Yesterday the Land Use Commission approved several proposals for updates to Colonia Nova. In accordance with our community's process for approving new projects which will improve our sims, I am here posting and inviting for comment one of those proposals... the one that I've been asked to develop and create, with your approval. We're asking that you freely offer comments here, both for and against, and then the RA and the Chancellor will make the final decision whether we should proceed.

We propose to change the northern bank of the Rhenus River, east of the city in Colonia Nova. For many years this area has been not well populated, so with the desire to create areas which new and existing citizens may find more interesting to buy land in, we've come up with this plan. The plan is described in detail here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1wFm ... sp=sharing

In brief, we will transform the area into an organic old fishing village, with a Mediterranean feel to it, with winding streets, an enlarged harbor, and an enlarged river providing passage for small boats down the river to the western sea. There will be a quay and docks around the harbor, and small houses and shops along the twisty streets. As noted in the proposal, all houses will be anchored to public land (as is being done in the city in Neufreistadt), so, while the owner cannot modify the actual house, they will not be paying for the prims of that house either, so will have all prims of the parcel available for furnishings.

Please offer comments or ask questions. Thanks for looking at this!

Sudane.......................

*** Confirmed Grump ***
Profile: http://bit.ly/p9ASqg
Sylvia Tamalyn
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Re: A fishing village for Colonia Nova

Post by Sylvia Tamalyn »

I think it's a great idea, and hope that it will make the big empty parcels on the south side of the river more attractive to rent as well.

One question: This sounds like an updated version of the fishing village in LA. Will the LA village be changed to something else (or updated)?

Tanoujin Milestone
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Tanoujin Milestone »

Great idea and concept! Thumb up

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Ian Maclaren
Kiki Whatever
Lurker
Lurker

Post by Kiki Whatever »

Great idea :)

Sudane Erato
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Sudane Erato »

Sylvia Tamalyn wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:05 am

One question: This sounds like an updated version of the fishing village in LA. Will the LA village be changed to something else (or updated)?

My vision has the new CN space differing from the LA village in a couple of ways. First, I think that the CN village will not aim at being as classy as the LA version... the LA village feels like a place of faded splendor, while the CN village will be something which grew organically below the CN city. And second, the CN village will be curvy and densified, while the LA village is very much rectilinear and with spacing between builds.

We did discuss this a bit at one of the LUC meetings, with the thought that perhaps at some point we might return our attention to LA with these kinds of ideas. But that would be a later project.

Sudane....................

*** Confirmed Grump ***
Sylvia Tamalyn
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Post by Sylvia Tamalyn »

Thanks for the very descriptive reply, Sudane! I love the LA fishing village (my first home in CDS!) and look forward to being just as pleased with what you do with the new one. :)

Delia Lake
Dean of the SC
Dean of the SC

Post by Delia Lake »

In conjunction with the new CN Fishing Village, we have put out a sample walkway/promenade along the massive south city wall. The intent is to soften the look of the wall and provide access to the Fishing Village from the bridge. This is only a sample. The textures, and perhaps design, will be adjusted or changed to fit with being the connector between the ambiance of the Fishing Village and the more formal architecture of the old bridge. Please take a look and see what you think.

Sylvia Tamalyn
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Post by Sylvia Tamalyn »

I like it! I've always enjoyed walking across that area to go up the steps to the bridge, so having a more "official" walkway there is good. The little deck area with seating gives a great view up the mountains and is a nice touch. :)

Rosie Gray
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Rosie Gray »

I went to have a look but it seems that most of it isn't there - maybe got returned somehow? I'm wondering about the prim parcels they would be on and what would be the intent re those. Anyway, this can be discussed at the next LUC meeting!

"Courage, my friend, it's not too late to make the world a better place."
~ Tommy Douglas
Sudane Erato
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Sudane Erato »

Rosie Gray wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:17 am

I'm wondering about the prim parcels they would be on and what would be the intent re those. Anyway, this can be discussed at the next LUC meeting!

The vacant prim parcels were re-parceled, and a narrow strip of public land created at the base of the wall. It's on that parcel that the prims for the walkway are intended to be anchored.

Sudane........................

*** Confirmed Grump ***
Delia Lake
Dean of the SC
Dean of the SC

Post by Delia Lake »

The walkway is on that strip parcel and set to LV share. Curious that it's being returned.

Return to “Sim and City Planning”