Transcript SC meeting August 9 2020

Announcements by the Dean of the Scientific Council

Moderator: SC Moderators

Post Reply
User avatar
Lilith Ivory
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder
Posts: 445
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:43 pm
Location: Germany
Contact:

Transcript SC meeting August 9 2020

Post by Lilith Ivory »

[08:15] Lilith Ivory: thank you all for being here today :)
[08:15] Lilith Ivory: let me know when you are ready to start
[08:16] Lilith Ivory: (the agenda is behind me in the box)
[08:16] Delia Lake: I can speak and hear, but not move
[08:17] Lilith Ivory: Aliasi, Calli, are you ready to start?
[08:17] Aliasi Stonebender: as ready as possible.
[08:18] Lilith Ivory: aaww ok
[08:18] Lilith Ivory: I might crash sometimes as my laptop gets hot like hell because of the weather
[08:19] Rosie Gray: hi Kyoko ㋡
[08:19] Lilith Ivory: do you all have the agenda (it´s the one from aug 1th) and are you ready to approve?
[08:19] Lilith Ivory: Hi Kyoko
[08:19] Kyoko Furse-Barzane (samara.barzane): Morning Rosie and the august members of SC ;)
[08:19] Delia Lake: yes and yes
[08:20] Aliasi Stonebender: alright..
[08:20] Aliasi Stonebender: yes and yes, yes.
[08:20] Lilith Ivory smiles
[08:21] Lilith Ivory: I move to approve the agenda for this meeting
[08:21] Delia Lake: second
[08:21] Lilith Ivory: all in favour vote aye please
[08:21] Delia Lake: aye
[08:21] Aliasi Stonebender: aye
[08:23] Lilith Ivory: Calli?

[08:25] Lilith Ivory: Calli, are you still with us?
[08:27] Callipygian Christensen: sorry - had a call I had to take
[08:27] Aliasi Stonebender: (eep!)
[08:27] Lilith Ivory: welcome back :)
[08:27] Lilith Ivory: we are voting on approving the agenda
[08:28] Lilith Ivory: waiting for you to say aye or nay :)
[08:29] Rosie Gray pats herself to see if she still exists
[08:30] Delia Lake: sl is pretty awful today
[08:31] Kyoko Furse-Barzane (samara.barzane): I'm doing fine thanks to the i5 core
[08:32] Callipygian Christensen: vote aye
[08:32] Lilith Ivory: thank you Calli :)

[08:32] Lilith Ivory: next agenda item is the dean election
[08:33] Lilith Ivory: as all of you know I have serious issues with my health at the moment and would highly appreciate it if someone would be willing to hold the office of the dean for a while
[08:34] Lilith Ivory: I just can´t promise to be able to take care about SC and CDS business as doctors keep me mostly in the dark about what to expect during the next 6 month or more
[08:34] Delia Lake: I haven't taken a turn for a while and would be willing unless someone else would want to be Dean
[08:34] Aliasi Stonebender: That seems fine to me.
[08:35] Callipygian Christensen: I cannot, since I am currently on the slate for a national board in RL but am happy to nominate Delia
[08:35] Lilith Ivory: Thank you for stepping up Delia
[08:35] Lilith Ivory: I gladly move to elect Delia as dean for the next year
[08:36] Aliasi Stonebender: second.
[08:36] Lilith Ivory: all in favour vote aye please :)
[08:37] Aliasi Stonebender: aye
[08:37] Callipygian Christensen: aye
[08:37] Delia Lake: abstain
[08:37] Lilith Ivory: aye :)
[08:37] Lilith Ivory: thank you so much Delia
[08:37] Lilith Ivory: I am willing to help in any way I can
[08:37] Rosie Gray: clap clap clap
[08:37] Kyoko Furse-Barzane (samara.barzane): Applause!!
[08:38] Delia Lake: you're welcome. as I said I havent taken my turn for a few years now
[08:38] Callipygian Christensen: thank you Delia!
[08:38] Kyoko Furse-Barzane (samara.barzane): Yes thank you Delia ;)
[08:38] Lilith Ivory: should I pass the chair over to you right now?
[08:38] Delia Lake: thank you for your serrvice, Lil
[08:38] Lilith Ivory: (not sure how long my laptop allows me to stay
[08:38] Lilith Ivory: my pleasure
[08:39] Delia Lake: if you would, since I am not up to date on the other items on the agenda Id appreciate if you would chair them Lil for today
[08:39] Lilith Ivory: ok , no problem :)

[08:39] Lilith Ivory: the next item on the agenda is the schedule for our elections
[08:40] Lilith Ivory: if I saw that right we only have two more terms scheduled and I was thinking it might be about time to add a few more
[08:40] Lilith Ivory: let me get the link
[08:40] Delia Lake: ty
[08:41] Lilith Ivory:
[08:41] Lilith Ivory: it´s scheduled till elections for term 35 if I see that correctly
[08:42] Lilith Ivory: are there volunteers to add a few more?
[08:42] Callipygian Christensen: Can I suggest that you ask Soro if he'd like to do that?

[08:43] Callipygian Christensen: He's been eager to offer help with things, but struggles at early meeting times etc - it might be a 'fit' for him right now

[08:44] Lilith Ivory: I can give it a try if you want me to do
[08:44] Delia Lake: I can ask him
[08:44] Delia Lake: and if he can't I can put 3 more sets oof draft dates in
[08:45] Delia Lake is still not used to her new keyboard
[08:45] Lilith Ivory: fine with me :)
[08:45] Lilith Ivory: we still have a bit time left till we need it
[08:45] Delia Lake: yes

[08:46] Lilith Ivory: and sorry, I completely forgot to call for volunteers for the office of an SC archivist and dean pro tempore
[08:46] Lilith Ivory: any volunteers?
[08:47] Aliasi Stonebender: Considering I've already proposed getting another member due to *my* difficulties in showing up, I'm not sure I should.
[08:48] Delia Lake: if we actively look for another member, Aliasi, would you be willing on a short term temp basis?
[08:49] Aliasi Stonebender: I could consider it, yes.
[08:50] Lilith Ivory: I could do but I am not sure if I can make it to all meetings
[08:51] Aliasi Stonebender: obviously my issue as well, heh. the problem with early Sunday meetings is it's something I can *technically* meet, but it's after a 12-hour work shift with a couple hours sleep. :P
[08:54] Delia Lake: pro temp would really only be required too do anything if we had a meeting with a really urgent matter and I either couldn't make it in or crashed out in the middle
[08:54] Delia Lake: otherwise we would simply reschedule the meeting
[08:56] Lilith Ivory: I had to be my own pro temp and archivist too while I was dean :(
[08:56] Delia Lake: archivist we need because on occasion we need to look back to find decisions and precedences for current decisions
[08:56] Rosie Gray: :(
[08:56] Lilith Ivory: it´s mainly for taking the transcript
[08:56] Delia Lake: yes
[08:57] Callipygian Christensen: I can do that
[08:57] Lilith Ivory: thank you Calli
[08:58] Lilith Ivory: are you volunteering for Archivist or Pro temp or both?
[08:58] Lilith Ivory: just to be clear so we don´t vote you into anything you don´t want ;-)
[08:58] Callipygian Christensen: archivist I can do
[08:58] Delia Lake: Lil would you be willing to be pro temp for the time being?
[08:58] Delia Lake: it would almost never be necessary
[08:58] Lilith Ivory: I can do as long as I am around
[08:58] Callipygian Christensen: if Aliasi can cover pro tem, then we are good until we find a new member or two
[08:59] Lilith Ivory: if not I will let you know
[08:59] Callipygian Christensen: ok.Lil then
[08:59] Delia Lake: ok
[08:59] Lilith Ivory: ok I move to appoint Calli as SC archivist and me as Delias Pro Temp
[08:59] Lilith Ivory: is that correct?
[08:59] Aliasi Stonebender: works, seconded and aye.
[09:00] Delia Lake: aye
[09:00] Lilith Ivory: aye
[09:02] Lilith Ivory: Calli?
[09:02] Callipygian Christensen: umm..aye since I cant partially abstain lol
[09:03] Lilith Ivory: ok :)

[09:04] Lilith Ivory: the next agenda items are old business from our last meeting
[09:04] Lilith Ivory: I have question marks there as I personally don´t really know if there is still need to discuss
[09:05] Lilith Ivory: 1. Delia mentioned it might be a good idea to write a petition to LL about what happens when an EO disappears
[09:05] Lilith Ivory: I am not sure if this is something for the SC to handle
[09:05] Lilith Ivory: any comments?
[09:06] Aliasi Stonebender: Yeah, I don't think this is really our territory, directly.
[09:06] Callipygian Christensen: Was the idea to petition them for a change in what occurs?
[09:06] Callipygian Christensen: If so, and I think that was more the idea Delia? - then it is something for the RA to do I think
[09:07] Lilith Ivory: a commitee perhaps?
[09:07] Aliasi Stonebender: mmhm. Or at the very least, the RA drafts the instructions to the Chancellor or some other designate.
[09:08] Delia Lake: yes. so that if something happened to Sudane the CDS would still belong to the CDS not revert to LL. there is a missing piece in LL policy that affects a number of communities. I think we need to work with the RA, thhe Chancelloor and Sudane on this
[09:08] Delia Lake: If we draft something we should I think circulate it to other SL communities that would be affected so any petition would be from a number of groups
[09:09] Aliasi Stonebender: I mean, I do know that it's possible to *will* things to other SL users (and you can contact LL to set it up), but I don't know if it's ever been done on the scale of something like the CDS.
[09:09] Aliasi Stonebender: And even that isn't 'let's give it to someone the CDS chooses' but "give it to this specific person'
[09:09] Kyoko Furse-Barzane (samara.barzane) nods
[09:10] Callipygian Christensen: Exactly ALiasi, and they totally ignore that some people might not want SL mixed into their real life will.
[09:10] Aliasi Stonebender: In a *practical* sense, we've several long-timers who would probably be okay with being the nominal and de jure EO, but it does come with hassles, yes.
[09:11] Aliasi Stonebender: Still, even if that winds up being the imperfect option we take, we should have it lined up.
[09:11] Delia Lake: Lyubov might we put this on the RA agenda to discuss as well and if people think it is worth pursuing we could draft a coommunity petition to circulate among sl groups with the intent to propose a change to LL
[09:13] Delia Lake: Etopia community changed EOs quite a while back. I dont know how they did this. although no oone died in that instance
[09:14] Callipygian Christensen: Maybe send a notecard officially asking her to do that Delia - she may be AFK and it doesnt hurt to have a record
[09:14] Delia Lake: I dont know what Hotel Chelsea will do eventuallly because their owner oof 2 regions died a few months ago
[09:14] Callipygian Christensen: You can change EO anytime - you just have to pay them the cost per sim of the transfer
[09:14] Delia Lake: I'll send Lyubov a note
[09:15] Callipygian Christensen: That becomes difficult though if the current EO isnt there to start the process
[09:15] Lilith Ivory: any time while the EO is still available I guess
[09:15] Delia Lake: yes
[09:15] Lilith Ivory: exactly
[09:15] Lilith Ivory: and that´s why Sudane has developed an imo well working Contingency Plan in march
[09:15] Lyubov Atheria: The RA could consider this as an agenda item.
[09:16] Lilith Ivory: I sent it to all SC members the weekend after our last meeting
[09:17] Delia Lake: Lil, I dont think I have that. It doesn't show in a search of inventory
[09:17] Lilith Ivory: I sent it to all SC members via email
[09:17] Lilith Ivory: it´s a PDF document
[09:18] Lilith Ivory: I can email again
[09:18] Delia Lake: please do. ty
[09:18] Aliasi Stonebender: yeah, I just pulled it up in gmail.
[09:19] Aliasi Stonebender: (and yowch, yeah, didn't really think about how the current global health crisis further complicates things...)
[09:20] Delia Lake: right
[09:21] Lilith Ivory: afk for a moment while resending the plan
[09:21] Aliasi Stonebender: in any case, it seems like the part that involves communicating with LL isn't really our domain.
[09:21] Lilith Ivory: Sudane developed a plan so we can survive without having to bother LL
[09:22] Lilith Ivory: to simplify things and buy us time
[09:22] Aliasi Stonebender: We're already the shadowy elder council of the place :P - it's better for the RA to come to an agreement as to a plan, even if we're required to execute some part of it for whatever reason.
[09:23] Delia Lake: I think we need to review and discuss that keeping in mind any laws we might need too change to accmmodate the plan working with the RA to do so
[09:23] Delia Lake: better to plan ahead and never need to implement it
[09:24] Lilith Ivory: the existance of this plan and basic info about it already has been included in the EO act
[09:24] Lilith Ivory: ... trying to find the link to that law
[09:25] Aliasi Stonebender: (Aside from this and figuring out the next meeting, do we have much else on the agenda? I'm beginning to fade.)
[09:25] Delia Lake: ok
[09:25] Lilith Ivory: NL 5-6 Estate Owner Act
[09:26] Lilith Ivory: I need to go too as I have visitors here who are about to leave
[09:26] Delia Lake: regarding next meeting, do Sunday mornings work? Might we schedule for Sunday, September 13 at 8 am?
[09:27] Lilith Ivory: as far as I can see it will work
[09:27] Callipygian Christensen: I should be fine with that - my dreams of a trip to Europe while it is crowd free is dimming :/
[09:27] Aliasi Stonebender: I can try it.
[09:28] Delia Lake: you may still be able to dream. if one is a US citizen the only place that will take us is Turkey. shut out of all other countries right now
[09:28] Delia Lake: So we will plan on Sunday, Sept 13 @ 8
[09:29] Lilith Ivory: aye for me :)
[09:29] Callipygian Christensen: We Canadians are welcome - the problem is that things can change overnight - so anything including a few days in England to see family might mean quarantine issues depending on where we come in from :/
[09:29] Aliasi Stonebender: alright, sounds good.
[09:29] Aliasi Stonebender: aye
[09:29] Callipygian Christensen: aye
[09:30] Delia Lake: thank you everyone :) move to adjourn
[09:30] Lilith Ivory: second and aye
[09:30] Callipygian Christensen: second and aye
[09:30] Callipygian Christensen: haha
"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."
Terry Pratchett
Post Reply

Return to “Scientific Council Announcements”