Candidates : Pip Torok, Sonja Strom, Fern Leissa, Guillaume Mistwalker
DPU CAMPAIGN STATEMENT AND PLATFORM
- - - May 2011 - - -
Party/Faction: Democratic Pragmatist Union (DPU)
Contacts: Pip Torok, Sonja Strom, Guillaume Mistwalker, Fern Leissa
* * * * Now Celebrating 6 Years in the CDS!!! * * * *
☆ ☆ CORE PRINCIPLES ☆ ☆
We of the DPU believe politics is first and foremost an exercise in collective problem solving. The DPU is committed to seeking compromise and finding common ground to solve problems in the CDS. The DPU supports:
* Freedom of speech and expression
* Tolerance for cultural diversity, including a due regard for standards of behavior and a respect for places of worship, meditation, and contemplation, and other publicly accessible buildings and spaces, irrespective of their ownership, or religious connections
* Prudence in financial management and expansion
* Persistence of the CDS as a community about which we can be proud
* Commitment to the continuity of the present high standards of CDS building and development
* The government having an important role in the provision of civic improvements and services
* Availability and growth of economic opportunity
☆ ☆ A RECORD OF ACCOMPLISHMENT ☆ ☆
Beginning in January 2005, the DPU has led and participated in many projects that have made the CDS a better place:
* Clarification and reform of the Artisanal Collective branch (now the New Guild)
* Electoral reform, including conception of Referendum voting
* Judiciary consensus and implementation
* Changes to the Constitution to transform our government into a confederated system
* Economic expansion, including a Commerce Commission and Chamber of Commerce
* Consolidation of the various existing CDS-related websites into a coherent web portal
* Establishment of diplomatic relations with other SL entities in order to foster cooperation, mutual support and goodwill
* Improved attractiveness of Neufreistadt Marktplatz
* Community review and re-draft of C.D.S. Covenants
☆ ☆ AN ONGOING PLAN FOR IMPROVEMENT AND PROGRESS ☆ ☆
☆ Listening to the Public ☆
In addition to our support of government openness and accessibility measures, we support polling and canvassing the population. This can be done in-world or through use of the forum polling feature in the CDS forum. We want the views of *ALL* citizens heard, considered and respected.
☆ Cooperation ☆
The DPU is committed to cooperate with RA members from different factions, and to accommodate as much as is practical the diverse concerns and priorities of all CDS citizens. We understand that democracy requires listening, flexibility and compromise. We strive to create understanding between all parties, and work together to arrive at a consensus such that bills passed have as broad a support as possible.
☆ Action through Effective Problem Solving ☆
Finding a compromise is not enough alone. Systems must be effective and work as advertised or be fixed. This includes simplification where possible. The DPU calls for standing workgroups, accountability and consistent evaluation to determine if CDS legislation and institutions are meeting their desired goals.
☆ Openness and Accessibility ☆
DPU public meetings are open to all.
Transparency in Government
The DPU calls for openness in governmental decision-making, which should always be placed before trust where possible. It therefore urges that, wherever practicable, government proposals for both changes in working policy, and plans that involve public land should be published at an early stage.
☆ A Thriving CDS Community ☆
Attracting productive new immigrants requires a feeling of community; affordable and attractive zoned land; education, cultural, employment and business opportunities; and attracting tourists through community efforts such as tourist offices, info centers and live events.
The DPU supports events in the CDS, and works with the Chancellor to help events be successful. We also promote working together with outside groups to coordinate larger events, such as the SL-wide Metanomics lectures broadcast in the Colonia Nova Amphitheater, the Grand Tour, Oktoberfest and Winterfest.
Traffic management is important. The DPU calls for increased traffic in commercial zones to drive traffic to our retail and service businesses. Commercial traffic can be enhanced by working with the Chancellor and others on events and event promotion (for example, Flea markets) and improvements to make them more attractive to visitors.
The community must work to preserve the early history of the CDS. We support the History Commission project to document the history of the CDS and manage a repository of its historical artifacts (documents, images, multimedia, etc.). We propose a public structure to house these artifacts, including a library section with a written history that can be accessed in-world.
☆ Controlled Territorial Expansion ☆
The DPU proposes ongoing purchase and development of private simulators, in order to expand the CDS and continue to make it even more interesting. In general the DPU believes community planning should be dynamic and allow for open discussion of future expansion, allowing for revision of the Regional Master Plan.
The DPU encourages working together with other communities of all kinds, especially if they are interested in democratic forms of governance. We support the hosting of embassies from other SL communities in the CDS, and the creation and support of CDS embassies in other areas. Included in this are the CDS Infohub in Anzere, and the Europa Embassy in Neufreistadt. We would like to see equal representation handled as simply as possible.
Optional Local Autonomy
The DPU calls for a local administrator for each sim in the CDS. Election of government Representatives from different geographic areas of the CDS can be taken into consideration as the community grows.
☆ Commercial and Social Expansion ☆
Active and Attractive Retail in the Marketplaces
Entrepreneurs need steady income and good shopping attracts tourists. The DPU will work with the Chancellor and all others interested to improve retail infrastructure in the CDS.
We have not made enough use of external advice in financial and governmental matters. The DPU would like to solicit opinions on critical matters from sources outside as well as inside the CDS and SL.
The CDS is a valuable experiment in creating democratic institutions and government systems, especially within virtual worlds. We encourage the growth and organizational development of such institutions, and would be happy if the CDS became a part of their studies.
Increasing CDS Revenue
In addition to land tier fees, the DPU would like to study alternate ways to increase government revenue without resorting to burdensome taxes.
☆ ☆ ☆ We are here for YOU - How about U in the DPU? ☆ ☆ ☆
[2011-05-17; 11:51 am slt]
Moderator: SC Moderators
1 post • Page 1 of 1
- HOW TO REGISTER FOR THESE FORUMS!
- Forum Moderation — Read Before Posting!
- Tools for the Forums
- The Constitution, Laws and Financial statements of CDS
- ↳ General Discussion
- ↳ Events in CDS
- ↳ Questions & Answers about the CDS
- ↳ Legislative Discussion
- ↳ Sim and City Planning
- ↳ Judiciary Discussion
- ↳ Business, Commerce and the Economy
- ↳ Law Review Citizens Initiative
- Government Announcements
- ↳ Representative Assembly Announcements
- ↳ Executive Branch Announcements
- ↳ Scientific Council Announcements
- ↳ Representative Assembly Discussion
- ↳ SC Discussion
- Commissions & Non-Governmental Organisations
- ↳ CDS Artisan Guild
- ↳ Land Use Commission-Announcements
- ↳ Land Use Commission Discussions
- ↳ Law Review
- SC Administration
- ↳ Forum Moderation Appeals
- ↳ Archive - Forum Moderation Documents
- Archived forums
- ↳ Moderate People's Party (MPP)
- ↳ Social Democratic Faction (SDF)
- ↳ Planning Colonia Nova
- ↳ Special Comission on the Judiciary Forum
- ↳ New United Citizens' Alliance for Rights and Equality (CARE)
- ↳ Judiciary Announcements
- ↳ Artisanal Collective Announcements
- ↳ Chancellor By-election 2014
- ↳ Debate transcripts
- ↳ Questions to the Candidates
- ↳ Campaign for Chancellor and the 20th RA, Nov 2013
- ↳ Transcripts of the RA and Chancellor Debates
- ↳ Additional questions submitted to Chancellor & RA Candidates by citizens
- ↳ APCC RA size
- ↳ Conflict of Interest Commission - 21st RA
- ↳ CDS/LV Groups Discussion Commission -21st RA
- ↳ New Region Commission -21st RA
- ↳ Chancellor Powers Commission -21st RA
- ↳ Law Review Commission
- ↳ 21St RA and Chancellor Elections
- ↳ Candidates' Platforms
- ↳ Questions from Citizens
- ↳ 10th Anniversary Planning
- ↳ Democratic Pragmatist Union (DPU)
- ↳ Citizens' Social Democratic Faction (CSDF)
- ↳ The Simplicity Party
- ↳ SEED*
- ↳ Campaign for Chancellor and the 30th RA, Nov 2018