Let's flood the cloaca!

For planning and discussing issues related to Colonia Nova, Neufreistadt's second sim under the Confederation of the Democratic Simulators.

Moderator: SC Moderators

Diderot Mirabeau
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Let's flood the cloaca!

Post by Diderot Mirabeau »

I'd like to propose that we fill the sewers in Colonia Nova with some sort of swimmable prim water and small waterfall rollers to the extent that it can be done easily and without an extensive use of prims.

The benefit of such an operation would be creating a stream of water in the sim running along an N<->S axis to correspond with the current W<->E axis that is the river. Apart from creating such visual "symmetry" the water would also increase the recreative value of the cloaca, which is currently limited to walking and taking pictures as the area is too narrow to be used as a builders sandbox.

The downside of the operation might be that it would reduce the attractiveness of the termae as a meeting place and thus a spot of commercial viability but on the other hand we never considered the river to have this effect so why should flooding the cloaca be judged negatively by this criterion.

I haven't yet had the chance to measure the extent of the cloaca but I imagine that the project might be implementable using 1 prim per 3 sqm (loose estimate).

If we want to do a quick implementation we could acquire Zora Spoonhammers multi-layered living creek textures with built-in sound and supplement it with one of the swimmable prims such as those made by Siggy Romulus or the new one by Karandas Banjo.

The creek kit is 900L$ for unlimited use and Karandas Banjo's swimmable waterscript is free. Of course into this should be also factored the cost of hiring someone to do the job. I'd be willing to make a stab at it on a pro bono basis if the community believes it's a good idea and someone will be willing to equip me with the relevant group membership.

Diderot Mirabeau
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Re: Let's flood the cloaca!

Post by Diderot Mirabeau »

[quote="Diderot Mirabeau":3d8w6u7v]I haven't yet had the chance to measure the extent of the cloaca but I imagine that the project might be implementable using 1 prim per 3 sqm (loose estimate).[/quote:3d8w6u7v]
I've had a chance to measure the area and it seems to be roughly 130 metres x 5 metre = 650 sqm. My initial probing seems to indicate it would be possible to flood the cloaca nicely using around 8 - 10 prims per 50 sqm meaning a total consumption of max 130 prims.

Does anyone think that flooding the cloaca using 130 city prims and around 1,000L$ is a bad idea? If not I will draft a proposal for the necessary legislation and submit it in advance of the next RA meeting.

(It can actually be done cheaper since I already possess for personal use both items, but I am not sure whether my use of these design articles on community-owned lands in a private sim is permitted by the (non-existing) usage license)

Chicago Kipling
Passionate Protagonist
Passionate Protagonist

Post by Chicago Kipling »

You likely know better than I, but there is significant space underneath the current sim that would enable the extension of the cloaca at some point. Swimming is certainly one potential use. I wonder though if shouldn't take the example of Roma and develop our own unique puzzle or game or meeting place with this opportunity we have.

Certainly the question of prim counts would be an issue.

A good photograph is like a good hound dog, dumb, but eloquent. ~ Eugene Atget
Beathan
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Beathan »

Why not do both -- flood the cloaca but also build an underwater meeting place, or even just sit on seaweed mats at submerged meetings?

I like this idea.

Beathan

Aliasi Stonebender
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Aliasi Stonebender »

It seems doable, and something I have a little personal experience with (re: the sewer system in Suffugium, although most of the actual building of the sewer was Lex Neva's doing, one of the other Squidsofters). As much of the city is using "prim ground" anyway, we can easily lower terrain and have space to play around with.

Member of the Scientific Council and board moderator.

Return to “Planning Colonia Nova”