Board of the Judiciary Commission - actions and ongoing work

This is where announcements from the Judiciary are posted.

Moderator: SC Moderators

Ashcroft Burnham
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Board of the Judiciary Commission - actions and ongoing work

Post by Ashcroft Burnham »

The Board of the Judiciary Commission is a body within the Judiciary Commission consisting of all Judges of Common Jurisdiction. It has the power, amongst other things, to (1) decide which Judges of Common Jurisdiction shall be the Chief Judge; (2) approve a Code of Judicial Ethics; (3) publish a set of qualification requirements for Judges of Common Jurisdiction; and (4) qualify any person to be a Judge of Common Jurisdiction (who is then appointed by the PJSP, or, if the PJSP has fewer than 3 members, the RA).

At present, I am the only Judge of Common Jurisdiciton, and therefore the only member of the Board of the Judiciary Commission. So far, I have exercised the power of the Board of the Judiciary Commission, and have determined that I shall be the Chief Judge. In the coming weeks, I (acting in my capacity as the Board) need to draft and approve a Code of Judicial Ethics, publish a set of qualification requirements, and begin fielding applicants for judicial office to fulfil the Chair of the JC's new quota of 3 judges as soon as practicable. Those tasks will have to wait a little while, however, since my first priority is drafting a code of procedure (under my power as Chief Judge to make general directions as to procedure).

Watch this subforum for further announcements as to the Code of Procedure, the Code of Judicial Ethics, the qualification requirements, and the opening of the application process for judicial office.

Ashcroft Burnham

Where reason fails, all hope is lost.

Return to “Judiciary Announcements”